IGNORED

Grounding

I love my Nordost QKore/QBase setup--it's basically grounding in a box.  In addition to the components themselves, I use a Frey 2 power cord from the Base into the wall, standard power cords into the Base.  There are dedicated grounding cables from each component into the Kore 

The difference before and after with my system was dramatic--much better detail and imaging.  My understanding is that this is due to a sharp improvement in signal/noise. This was apparent immediately, and then repeated with everything I played thereafter.  It took my system to a different level.

The are a number of very positive reviews online for these, but I'd say the best thing to do is to borrow one from your local dealer for a few days. 

25 minutes ago, PeterG said:

I love my Nordost QKore/QBase setup--it's basically grounding in a box.  In addition to the components themselves, I use a Frey 2 power cord from the Base into the wall, standard power cords into the Base.  There are dedicated grounding cables from each component into the Kore 

The difference before and after with my system was dramatic--much better detail and imaging.  My understanding is that this is due to a sharp improvement in signal/noise. This was apparent immediately, and then repeated with everything I played thereafter.  It took my system to a different level.

The are a number of very positive reviews online for these, but I'd say the best thing to do is to borrow one from your local dealer for a few days. 

Just to be clear: your system is not connected to your home's ground wire, but to a ground box? 

Noob question, but if you do that and use equipment with a metal chassis connected to the ground wire within the equipment, is that not going to act like a giant antenna? 

10 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Just to be clear: your system is not connected to your home's ground wire, but to a ground box? 

Correct, but I'm not a technical person, so just to be clear:  The QKore is a box with grounding material in it.  It's kind of like Grounding fo Dummies.  Each of my components and the QBase power strip are connected by ground wire to the QKore.  QBase is plugged into standard wall outlet via an upgraded power cord.  Just plug all this stuff together, and listen.

But back to the real question. There are two ground systems involved.  The Safety Ground/Protective Earth system and the connection to Planet Earth system.

In an audio system, it's best to have all the units Safety Ground/Protective Earth connected together with short AC cords. Do not add jumper wire to double insulated units (square in a square safety symbol.

Do not add any wires from the audio equipment to Planet Earth.

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

Sorry to insist, but your "QBase" is plugged into the wall outlet with a two-prong or three-prong plug ?

No worries--QBase is plugged into the wall with a 3 prong plug.  QKore is not plugged in at all.  As I understand it in my "Dummies" way, the QKore pulls noise from your electronics via the grounding wires from Nordost, and separately pulls noise from your home electrical system via the QBase.  I'm pretty sure that these are independent, and that only the second one of these tasks requires the third prong.  

As to Speedskater's quip--Green Eggs and Ham was formative for me, so I have little sympathy for folks who sit in an armchair and declare that something does nothing before they have tried it.  But I was also skeptical before I tried it--my dealer urged me 3 times to just take it home and give it a go.  My advice to you was not to buy one, my advice was to try one.  If you think the difference is small or hard to notice or requires rigorous ABX comparison; I'd say it's not doing enough for the $ and you should just bring it back.  But if your ears/eyes pop open and you smile, it's worth every penny and you should buy it.

Probably best to have no grounding, if that's how they were manufactured. I'm currently running a very simple, low cost setup with only two boxes in it; both are double insulated, meaning 2 prongs only, and they are only connected via an optical link. Instantly, a lot of interference issues vanish - because they've been designed out of the equation.

As soon as one component requires a safety earth, or there are connection between components which require a grounding, return conductor, things can start getting dirty, 😁. And the whole craziness of what people do in audio drops in - this can be sorted, but it requires fastidious attention to every area of how it's done - there are no magic recipes, which are easy to follow, which guarantee an optimum solution, every time.

10 hours ago, Speedskater said:

How true, how true.

It's a non-functional waste of money.  It doesn't do any tasks at all.

Except perhaps act as an antenna and pick up more RF/EMI which may make some lacking systems sound a little more "interesting"

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

15 minutes ago, hopkins said:

I have a hybrid system:

- amplifier is grounded

- DAC is not

- for the source, i can potentially do either

Can this be problematic? 

My feeling here would be to make the amplifier ground the effective system ground; and have the source not grounded, that is, back to the household safety earth. But, provide an earthing link from the source across to the amplifier ground.

11 hours ago, Speedskater said:

But back to the real question. There are two ground systems involved.  The Safety Ground/Protective Earth system and the connection to Planet Earth system.

In an audio system, it's best to have all the units Safety Ground/Protective Earth connected together with short AC cords. Do not add jumper wire to double insulated units (square in a square safety symbol.

Do not add any wires from the audio equipment to Planet Earth.

Nevertheless, John Swenson reported an audible advantage in many cases when earthing the 0 volts side of an  SMPS powered device.

I obtained an improvement with the audio from Coax Out of an STB by doing this, but used a 10 ohm earth as a direct earth appeared to  sound not quite as good, perhaps due to a minor earth loop, although still better than without it

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I have heard it said that "audiophile" grounding boxes such as the Entreq and similar are doing nothing more than acting as an antenna, which does make sense to me from a technical perspective.

I recall reading this below:

https://www.computeraudiodesign.com/gc1-ground-control/

In the text per the link above there is this statement "The Ground Control contains a mixture of materials that converts high frequency energy into heat."

Is this even possible? 

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.