IGNORED

Pure Music 1.7 Compared to Amarra 2.11

Lars

I just posted an extensive comparison of the two programs at AA to avoid any conflict for Chris. I prefer Pure Music for the following reasons:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/8/83456.html

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

No vested interest here Chris. I wish these guys would put me on the payroll!!

I just wanted to avoid the tone of some of the responses to my posts I get at AA. This is a nice place.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

So I have been going back and forth over PM 1.7 and Amarra 2.1.1. Here's where I'm at:

Convenience aside, I clearly prefer Amarra in playlist/cache mode. Things have a much more realistic harmonic texture (piano in particular) that gives the music a more organic, less digital sound to me.

With the playlist mode turned off in Amarra, it is a bit of a jump ball for me. PM clearly has better air and space, but something doesn't quite sound right as far as harmonic structure of instruments - things sound more digital for lack of a better word. Amarra in iTunes mode retains the naturalness, but loses air and space compared to playlist mode. Neither of these two options sounds as good as Amarra with playlist on.

I have been listening to Alan Jackson's "Like Red On a Rose" album - in particular the track "Wait a Minute". The solo piano behind Alan's voice at the opening is uncanny in how harmonically rich and natural it sounds with Amarra/playlist/cache. Turning off playlist mode throws a blanket over it, and using PM 1.7 brings the air back, but ruins the harmonic richness of the piano. Later sections of the song with denser arrangements sound more forced thru PM than with Amarra as well.

Tubes versus solid state keeps coming to mind here. Amarra in Itunes mode is old school tubes (think Dynaco or Marantz) - in playlist mode we're talking modern tube sound.

I want to like PM better, but it just isn't doing for me today.

Rig 1: CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, VTF-15H, Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-5, Aries Deluxe via S/PDIF

Rig 2: Sennheiser HD650, Woo WA-2, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Sony HAP-Z1ES

Interesting comments. Would it be safe to say that the programs are system dependent and one or the other might be best on any particular system? Personally, I never heard enough difference to consider buying Amarra, and am thrilled with PM. Do either of you (or anyone else) use any plug ins in PM? I am wondering what is out there and what they do to the sound.

Thanks!

2.26 GHz Mac Mini (Late 2009), 8 GB RAM, 2 External Seagate 7200 RPM 1TB / Firewire 800/ Wavelength Wavelink/ Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC / Nordost Blue Heaven IC / Musical Fidelity KW 750 / Nordost Blue Heaven Speaker cable/ Magnepan MG 3.6r with MYE stands / Custom purpose built listening room

With regards to plug-ins, I have been using the ARC System plug-in from IK Multimedia for several months and have been very pleased with the results. It is a room correction plug-in so it requires some setup (microphone to measure your room, etc.) but fairly straightforward. Once setup is done, including in PM is very easy.

Obviously, it all depends on your room and system setups on how effective (or not) the results will be. For me, it is working out well.

I experienced some breakup in cymbals and other HF transients. Thought it was my speakers or interface. After checking things the Mac was set to external dac and not internal speakers with HOG mode enabled.

I also thought maybe it was the software upsampling to 88.2/24. It helped to run thought and check HOG on and off, 44.1 or 88.2, and PM or iTunes 10.

Back to where I started with HOG and 88.2 in PM. I think 1.70 sounds better than 1.65A. May just be RAM management. Since my Mini is still running 32 bit the full 8 gig maybe not used.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Lars -

You wrote in your review: "Isolation of the SMPS of the computer and external hard drive are a must." Will you expound on that a bit for me? I'm a bit of a newbie but I'm diving into Hi-rez music head first and intend to buy a new Mac Mini to serve as my music server. I understand that, unlike earlier models, the 2010 Mac Mini has the power supply built in. Is it possible in that circumstance to isolate the SMPS and, if so, how? Thanks.

Jim

Jim

An AC line filter would help. I was using a PS Audio Duet to power my external hard drive and MacBook Pro. I often run my Mac on the battery. I had a spare PS Audio Premier Power Plant that totally blocks the SMPS noise from getting into the AC line. I was amazed at how much better the Premier was compared to the Duet and other filters I had tried. The only SMPS on the line was the external HD. This little SMPS was making the sound bright and hard.

Much has been written on this subject in this forum. CG is also very knowledgeable on this subject.

I am with khollister & Lars,

Amarra being better in time domain? (Under playlist, cache on, NO iTunes)

Pure Music better in frequency domain? Cache on, NO upsampling, iTunes ON)

No dither on volume control, and then NO volume control on both of them.

In both I get no listening fatigue, but less in Amarra. Amarra preferred as a "purist" player, but Pure Music for overall pleasure, since his much better iTunes interphase.

The great is, that thanks to this AC forum, we are getting in a short time, very good computer music players.

Regarding SMPS noise from my Mac Mini 2010 and Firewire HD, the only way (in my particular case) is feeding the power from a dedicated now discontinued Shunyata Original Hydra (No surge or filtering specified, but there is not "feedback noise" to the AC mains), but not from the Exact Power SP15 nor Balanced Power BPT units. Since my country sudden power blackouts I have an bakcup UPS (for the Mini and HD) with MOVR and filter caps. removed, if not, I got no deep bass, and the midrange is destroyed in my ML CLX speakers, who is a champ in this matter.

My actual setup is Mac Mini 2010 (8 GB, running under 64 bits, spinnig HD) LaCie 2TB external HD -> Wavelength WaveLink -> Playback Designs MPS-5 DAC ->Parasound Halo JC2 preamp. ->AR Ref. 110 amp. (VT120 tubes) -> ML CLX + ML Descent i subs.(2)

Another DAC's waiting for listening.

I specified my setup because my DAC is an upsampling one, then somebody could get different results with the upsampling setting ON in Pure Music.

Roch

OK, let me ask a really dumb question..My PM is showing version 1.6 and I have the update box set on automatic...How do I get this softtware to update to the newer version???

I do not see any options to do a manual update

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

Download 1.7 from this site. Open the download. Then drag the program to your Applications folder.

http://www.channld.com/download.html

James,

Channel D and Sonic Studio are small companies. Not everything is perfect or will be perfect. I remember when Apple first released Leopard and screwed up the WiFi on my new iMac and MacBook Pro. I also remember the WiFi problems I had with my iPad when it was first released. Apple has a few more resources than tiny Channel D but still has issues.

Thanks

Even the very best internet stations are less than audiophile quality, so I doubt there's any reason to pursue a streaming player of better quality than VLC or iTunes.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Lars, et al,

How are you enabling Auto Sample Rate Change in pure music?. Mine does not work....

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Auto sample rate change is Pure Music's ability to automatically change Audio Midi to the native sample rate of the next chosen song. Without that ability (Amarra, Ayrewave, etc do it too btw) then you are forced, like using plain old iTunes, to close iTunes, go into Audio Midi manually, change the sample rate, then restart iTunes...total hassle!! These new players all do that automatically. Not sure why it's not working for Zerung. PM's handshake with Weiss's drivers is flawless in my experience.

I've been comparing the latest versions, and I'm surprised that I actually prefer the sound signature of Amarra 2.1.1. over Pure Music 1.7. Earlier versions of Amarra did nothing for me really, but I've just spent £60 on Amarra Junior (only listen to 16/24 bit 44.1k files).

I'm running a headless Mac mini, connected via firewire to an Apogee Duet DAC/headphone amplifier, and listening via a pair of Denon AHD-7000 headphones.

To my ears, Amarra offers a smoother, less fatiguing sound - more natural. Pure Music offers a more open soundstage, and crisper higher frequencies - but it's not really grabbing as much as the Amarra sound.

It kind of reminds me of the heated debates that used to do the rounds on Head-Fi - comparing Sennheiser HD650s to AKG K701s. Both products seemed to polarise the Head-Fi community...

MacBook Air 13"/2012 > ALAC> iTunes/Fidelia(Advanced/FHX) > Meridian Audio Explorer Headphone Amp/DAC > B&O Play H6 Headphones.