IGNORED

Best R2R NOS USB DACs for Redbook

Metrum Adagio, Metrum Pavane, Aqua Formula xHD, Aqua La Scala mkII. And perhaps Totaldac and Lampizator but I have no experience with these brands.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

The Termy with the Gaia plays on a whole new level Matt. It’s been in my system for about 3 days now and it’s making me listen to my collections all over again, especially the Live recordings. But the Rockna is no slouch either I have heard it briefly and it’s also a detail Monster. It will be a great shootout though.

I have the Metrum Pavane and a Abbingdon Music Research DP777 SE ...both NOS 

The Metrum is just an awesome performer all around assuming you don’t need dsd and the Abbingdon is quite simply the best dac I have heard for red book files . 

The AMR is one of those pieces of equipment you just can’t let go of. I have had a ridiculous number of dacs through here and it just does something special. The Pavane was the first dac that truly bettered it in quantifiable sonic ways but the AMR is still holding court in a great office system where Tidal is played for hours most days

Special shout out the to my third dac .... the Norma Audio HS da1 , NOS dac... Also a great dac in this catagory 

2 hours ago, ADCO said:

I have the Metrum Pavane and a Abbingdon Music Research DP777 SE ...both NOS 

The Metrum is just an awesome performer all around assuming you don’t need dsd and the Abbingdon is quite simply the best dac I have heard for red book files . 

The AMR is one of those pieces of equipment you just can’t let go of. I have had a ridiculous number of dacs through here and it just does something special. The Pavane was the first dac that truly bettered it in quantifiable sonic ways but the AMR is still holding court in a great office system where Tidal is played for hours most days

Special shout out the to my third dac .... the Norma Audio HS da1 , NOS dac... Also a great dac in this catagory 

Metrum went out of business after Cees left though so probably would avoid picking one up now due to no more support...

The Terminator is in this club.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Holo Audio May

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 6/2/2020 at 8:02 PM, ggking7 said:

Any thoughts on totaldac compared to the others?

I can't compare to the other dacs mentioned but can tell you a little about my Totaldac D1Core. I did not buy the dsd option so only listen to rebook via Roon. I am not a gear swapper...I had my last dac (twindac+) for almost 15 years. 

The Totaldac doesn't really sound like anything. I am reminded time and time again of the quality of the recording. While it has plenty of resolution, it never sounds forced. And if we are ticking off audiophile lists, the bass is much better than my previous dac.

What shocks me as I listen is that this model is at the bottom of the line up. I can't imagine how it gets better. But I'm glad that for the cost difference between models I can some day find out. 

Also, the remote control for volume has been pretty awesome..I thought it would go into a drawer never to be seen again. 

• 8 months later...