IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

From the Stereophile "Sounds Like? An Audio Glossary", J. Gordon Holt, July, 1993

bright, brilliant The most often misused terms in audio, these describe the degree to which reproduced sound has a hard, crisp edge to it. Brightness relates to the energy content in the 4kHz-8kHz band. It is not related to output in the extreme-high-frequency range. All live sound has brightness; it is a problem only when it is excessive.

At Axpona I went first to the BACCH-SP demo room. Jenzen powered speakers. The next room I visited was right next door, Dutch and Dutch 8C powered speakers. And then straight to Grimm for guess what, powered speakers. My faves were the Grimms but you could by a pair of each from the first two rooms and have money left over for an MU1. Funny how things work. I think I could live with any of those three systems….

If someone called my system bright I would be sad. J/K

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 3:34 PM, matthias said:

.......or a comparison with the upcoming Taiko "Mini extreme" which costs about 50 to 60% of the Extreme.

Matt

You've been saying this for two or three years but to my knowledge there are no signs of a mini extreme. The wish is the father of the thought.... :)

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

Roon was updated and since then pretty unstable. Roon Radio is not queuing new music or throwing in random songs while playing my own. Also the stereo image is not stable and sometimes pulls to the left side. Also unpredictably, to the point checking and replugging all my cabling to see if anything was 'off'. Everything checked out 100%, must be Roon/MU1 being the source of all this. Anyone else having issues or is it just with me?

"You should create the circumstances in which happiness can be made possible" - Herman van Veen

For info about my setup, look at my profile

43 minutes ago, Ronnie112 said:

Roon was updated and since then pretty unstable. Roon Radio is not queuing new music or throwing in random songs while playing my own. Also the stereo image is not stable and sometimes pulls to the left side. Also unpredictably, to the point checking and replugging all my cabling to see if anything was 'off'. Everything checked out 100%, must be Roon/MU1 being the source of all this. Anyone else having issues or is it just with me?

Is it just RR that has imaging issues?

4 minutes ago, Mike123 said:

Is it just RR that has imaging issues?

No, that's a general issue both on streamed content as the library on internal SSD.

"You should create the circumstances in which happiness can be made possible" - Herman van Veen

1 hour ago, Ronnie112 said:

Roon Radio was working normally for me last night.   Did you reboot the MU1 to see if that made a difference (after sufficient warm up after power cycle)?  

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Makua > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Yes, rebooted twice now. Roon Radio still behaving weird (from nothing in queue and silence to random songs for 10 seconds and then the next.

Thought the imaging was okay again, but especially voices shifted to the left gradually shortly after. Must say that's a problem I've noticed before, but after fully checking the rest of the chain now, have me suspecting something is not right within the MU1 unit.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie112 said:

Yes, rebooted twice now. Roon Radio still behaving weird (from nothing in queue and silence to random songs for 10 seconds and then the next.

Thought the imaging was okay again, but especially voices shifted to the left gradually shortly after. Must say that's a problem I've noticed before, but after fully checking the rest of the chain now, have me suspecting something is not right within the MU1 unit.

how strange.  Hope you get it sorted out soon.  Maybe the folks at Grimm haver heard of this phenomenon...

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 minute ago, PYP said:

how strange.  Hope you get it sorted out soon.  Maybe the folks at Grimm haver heard of this phenomenon...

It is not adding to my enjoyment, to say the least. Indeed hope to get it sorted, thx.

I had weird issues with mine that no solution could be found to resolve it. Turns out, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. It was a new piece of gear it was plugged into. Had I tried playing it not plugged into anything but power and Ethernet I would have discovered it. Doh.

5 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Quote from hifi pig: "The MU2 is scheduled for shipping in October, at a price below €18000".

This against the current MU1 price of  €12700.

The MU2's description had me very interested and that price seems very good for the level of performance that is implied in the description.   Then I listened to one of my favorite vocalists and thought:  even if it is "better," would I enjoy it more than this?  The MU1 + excellent DAC is truly a wonderful combination.

7 hours ago, PYP said:

The MU2's description had me very interested and that price seems very good for the level of performance that is implied in the description.

The price point seems reasonable indeed, I actually expected it to be above 20K.

If the performance of the MU1 (with the high user- and press ratings) is some kind of a predictor and considering the Major DAC is specifically designed and tuned with the FPGA board, it sure can be interesting. About €5.000 to include a discrete DAC seems fair. Heck, in this league most users will (have) spend around €2.000+ on power cables, interconnects, platforms, fuses, etc for a separate DAC, costs that also can be saved.

This said, the proof of the pudding, is … 

Looking forward at the first live impressions at Munich 👍 (and I’m curious on which amps and speaker the MU2 will play)

On 5/8/2023 at 1:12 AM, skatbelt said:

You've been saying this for two or three years but to my knowledge there are no signs of a mini extreme. The wish is the father of the thought.... :)

Correctly I have said this two and a half years ago not for two or three years.

At that time there was a plan to release it, but they retought the concept and didn't launch it for several reasons.

No wishful thinking at all.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

17 hours ago, FredM said:

About €5.000 to include a discrete DAC seems fair. Heck, in this league most users will (have) spend around €2.000+ on power cables, interconnects, platforms, fuses, etc for a separate DAC, costs that also can be saved.

Well, as soon as I can, I'll be comparing MU2 to MU1+DAVE.

A new DAVE is currently priced at around €12,500 (everything's gone up). And yes, plus €2.000+ on cable and power cord.

So if, say, they are equal in performance, then the DAC/pre-amp part of the MU2 would be great value.

Although that value only applies if buying from scratch. As I already own MU1+DAVE, I'll have to swallow the cost of second hand (or part exchange) values. It's going to be complicated...

EDIT: In practice, it will only make sense to change if MU2 significantly beats MU1+DAVE.

Also for this headphones-only user, MU2's headphone output will be particularly important, I imagine that headphones will be a much bigger challenge, than a pre-amp or active speaker, to MU2's analogue outputs.

17 minutes ago, Mike123 said:

Or less... Meaning the upgrade from MU1 to MU2 will set you back at least 10k. Minus trade in of your current DAC/powercord/digital cable of course. Still serious money only justified if it betters my current DAC (and pre not to forget) by a significant margin. Count me curious nevertheless.