IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

Guys, for those interested in the Hi-B cut chokes for a LPSU there is an opportunity to get them in near term.

I'm kicking off investigating interest a group buy, looking for someone to take over this effort if there are more than let's say 3-4 interested.  If there is less interest I'll send folks the contact details for the winder.

If there is any interest expres now as he is about to order core material which has an 8 week lead time, missing out now means a longer wait.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

I have not encountered any delay in cold start, neither with the Lundahl chokes or with these ones.

(keep in mind that the PSU supply has to deliver far less amps than the 12V to the CPU etc makes it hard for me too to consider chokes as rate limiting)

the DO improve SQ, and by quite a bit....

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

Guys, for those interested in the Hi-B cut chokes for a LPSU there is an opportunity to get them in near term.

I'm kicking off investigating interest a group buy, looking for someone to take over this effort if there are more than let's say 3-4 interested.  If there is less interest I'll send folks the contact details for the winder.

If there is any interest expres now as he is about to order core material which has an 8 week lead time, missing out now means a longer wait.

counter to keep track of interested folks: (please qoute this post adding your nick so I can keep track)

volunteer to manage things if it comes to a larger group buy:

----vacant----

serious interest in Hi-B cut chokes for LPSU

1 - @rico25

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

(please quote this post adding your nick so I can keep track)

I have not encountered any delay in cold start, neither with the Lundahl chokes or with these ones.

(keep in mind that the PSU supply has to deliver far less amps than the 12V to the CPU etc makes it hard for me too to consider chokes as rate limiting)

the DO improve SQ, and by quite a bit....

counter to keep track of interested folks: (please qoute this post adding your nick so I can keep track)

volunteer to manage things if it comes to a larger group buy:

----vacant----

serious interest in Hi-B cut chokes for LPSU

1 - @rico25

2 @Tatomek7

If everyone expressing interest would copy the last post by someone adding his nick (with the @in front) we end up with a clean list, otherwise we run the risk of someone getting lost as there propably will be other posts in between.

37 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

@basillus

something weird is happening with quotes after while...(or I'm doing something wrong)

@rico25

@Tatomek7

@basillus

@Exocer

for V3 you need two, I paid 160 euro a piece plus shipping (within my country), the weight is considerable so weight will kick international shipping up.

given the raw material frenzy cost may go up a bit, I dunno.

1 hour ago, basillus said:

Thumbs up 😉 Do You remember how much 1 choke approx weight?
Shipping from Nederland to Denmark isn’t expensive.
A max. 10kg parcel cost approx 25€ at postnl.

If it had been the other way around from Denmark to Nederland it will cost approx 87€ 😳

I never weighed or measured them, I was too eager to listen to the damn things ;-)

For relative measurements please have a look at the picture I posted next to the LL2773 and try to extrapolate, I will say that choosing a bigger case is well worth it!

The Lundahls came in at 2.5kg each, these weigh a tad more, my best estimate is closer to 4kg each.

@basillus I bet the shipment fits in the 10kg bracket, I paid an embarassing 7 euro for shipping within NL

The Lundahls had hardly any voltage drop, like 1-2 Volts. I'll go find the email conversation I had with Martin, and try translate it after another attempt to fully understand it...it was along th elines of;  'if there is no voltage drop the choke is not doing much' and an explanation for that.

BTW; I forgot to mention that production will start in about 2.5months from now as he is doing a run of 300B trannies.

@RickyV just so I understand correctly, just 1?

14 hours ago, drjimwillie said:
On 1/20/2023 at 2:17 PM, MarcelNL said:

2 @letterman

2 @drjimwillie

1 for @RickyV

2 for @Nenon

2 for @ciccio1112

2 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

2 @letterman

2 @drjimwillie

1 for @RickyV

2 for @Nenon

2 for @ciccio1112

2 for @exocer  (sorry!)

quoting seems to be bahving in a weird way... I'll do a manual reconcilliation later every now and then but please don't be shy to call out an oversight!

1 minute ago, elan120 said:

If the group buy train still is available, can I hop on and take 2 also?

sure man!

the train apparently just started....I will say that the winder is a hobbyist, it may take a while for him to fulfill the numbers!

9 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:
12 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

2 @letterman

2 @drjimwillie

1 for @RickyV

2 for @Nenon

2 for @ciccio1112

2 for @exocer

2 for @elan120

@rico25, you are already listed, the qouting works a littly wonky (IMO) , perhaps there is a better way to keep track...

5 minutes ago, David Whistance said:

@MarcelINL do you have me down for two as well please? I tried "quoting" earlier in the thread but it didn't seem to work.

yeah the quoting seems as lossy as an MP3...copying then pasting as plain text appears to work better

2 @rico25

2 @Tatomek7

2 @basillus

2 @Exocer

2 @letterman

2 @drjimwillie

1 @RickyV

2 @Nenon

2 @ciccio1112

2 @exocer

2 @elan120

2 @David Whistance

2 @rico25

2 @Tatomek7

2 @basillus

2 @Exocer

2 @letterman

2 @drjimwillie

1 @RickyV

2 @Nenon

2 @ciccio1112

2 @exocer

2 @elan120

2 @David Whistance

2 @Gavin1977

2 @Johnseye

(thanks for spotting that omission!)

Darn, making up for the omission got spotted ;-)

like stated, I'll do a manual reconciliation later on, I'm busy as heck in the middle of moving house so definitely not on my most accurate now...

2 @rico25

2 @Tatomek7

2 @basillus

2 @Exocer

2 @letterman

2 @drjimwillie

1 @RickyV

2 @Nenon

2 @ciccio1112

2 @elan120

2 @David Whistance

2 @Gavin1977

2 @Johnseye

2 @Dev

meanwhile I'm eager to start listening to music in the new house...I managed to connect the ISP to a new Fritz!box 5530 using fiber, which cuts out one dirty SMPS for the media convertor, and all the parts for the new LPS for the router and audio switch have finally arrived.

LPS will consist of two active rectifiers, loads of capacitance, two LL2773 chokes and DC3 modules and a bundle of bypass caps....lots to do in between moving house...more likely AFTER moving house.

From another forum I seem to recall the US has a 420 US$  duty free import rule, so individual shipping is likely best... but I'm sure @nenon or someone else knows more about the details.

@Gavin1977 If you can influence that active rectifier it might be nice to have screw on terminals, with large wire diameters going in and out soldering is messy. The Saligny power has screw on terminals yet those are soldered onto the PCB so are easy to mess up when tightening the terminals to far...

interesting! I am going to build a LPSU for the new Fritz!box 5530 and fiber optic switch I'm using and was planning to use the Saligny and Saligny power I have lying around...

does the Taiko DIy case allow stacking te MB over the PSU?

(that is going to be my solution in a hope to keep it's footprint small-ish)

10 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I still question the benefits of putting the PSU inside the PC case.  Taiko uses copper walls to shield the PSU components.  Their DIY case does not and on the front side there is no wall at all.  I've treated some of the case with 3M sheets to absorb EMI & RFI.  Only the transformer is even remotely shielded in this case.  How much of this makes a difference?  I don't know if there's a way to measure it.  A separate, identical, external supply could be connected to compare.

shielding is important, so is NOT using a metallic case but if you must copper is best. Not like that it's a difference of night and day but in the real where this scene plays the difference is IME large enough to tinker with. Do not look at what others do but experiment and listen is my motto, time consuming; yes, costly; yes, informative; heck yes!