IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TimF said:

Thanks, running without anything attached same issue. 

Hi Tim,

Could you explain in a bit more detail what the sound is, or what it sounds like? My Asus 590 board made intermittent noises like when a hard drive is acessed, but I had no hard drives installed. Turned out to be coil whine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Nenon said:

It really depends on how good your system is. If you bring the two servers to one of the best systems in the world, every experienced listener will prefer the Extreme. If you bring it to a mid-level system, the DIY server is so good that most likely would be limited in performance by other components in the system. And in this case the Extreme will still be better but by a very little bit. So, in one system the DIY server may be 60% of the Extreme, and in another it can be 95%. 

@Nenon Thanks for the comparison and appreciate your statement above. For me personally, the quality and relation of the overall system is something that I tend to lose a bit of sight on when pursuing digital audio nirvana with a DIY Server build …

On 6/2/2022 at 1:31 AM, Nenon said:

I've heard that the Taiko DIY chassis is ready. I should be getting some photos and details to post soon. 

Initial feedback is that it looks great but it's not cheap to manufacture. Keep you posted! 

Fantastic news, with all the noise around the limited availability and high cost of materials, I had the impression that Taiko Audio was going to sandbag it. Looking forward to more details.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2022 at 8:30 PM, ciccio1112 said:

Hi friends. 9B2213D4-0DD1-41D4-A8B0-0169B3ACEDCD.thumb.jpeg.b8a5e7c39408e348a38a1266408c3fd5.jpegmy Taiko Do it yourself is being born.  I wanted to ask everything for Windows LTSC 2019 as per project by Nenon which are the best optimizations to do and the software to install, to make the best of the best.  Thank you.

@ciccio1112

Nice looking build. I am curious as to what your CPU operating temperature is?

Do you think that the heatpipes might be more efficient if they were mounted to the chassis heatsink slightly above the CPU?

Also would be curious to know who was your source for the RAM? (if you don’t mind sharing)

Thx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 2:46 AM, JJSim said:

Any 288 pin DDR4 ECC RDIMM/LRDIMM should work. Max frequency supported by that motherboard is 2933Mhz. Frequency is further dictated by the CPU; in the case of the Xeon 4210 it's limited to 2400Mhz. Memory refresh rate can be adjusted in BIOS.

Apacer has part # 78.D1GMP.4010B that would work with the Xeon 4210. Note that it is not the wide temp version that is more desirable. Samsung also has a good selection of server memory.

Curious as to where one can find the details regarding the cpu / memory frequency limitations. Do you have a specific reference?

Update: Nevermind, I found the information in the Intel CPU Specifications. 🤭

• 3 weeks later...

Next challenge with my Taiko DIY Case appears to be that the pre-drilled and threaded holes in the base plate for mounting the Taiko DC-ATX are to close to the Asus WS C621e Sage Mainboard. Here a picture showing the overlap of the DC-ATX when aligned with the mounting holes:

IMG_20220810_140009086.thumb.jpg.32cbc6db5660b7748a5b8d53d9de3456.jpg

Given that I my ARC 6 Power Supply is external, I will not need all the space within the case so I can mount the DC-ATX flush with the baseplate using just 2 of the 4 mounting holes. Which now looks like this:

IMG_20220810_140859405_MP.thumb.jpg.f9e8467a66c0a682d7cfaf84f121cad0.jpg

Needless to say, I am wondering how Taiko can oversee something like this?

I realize that all new products have teething problems but given that this is now the third issue with the chassis there seems to be a certain lack of quality control on the Taiko side. Certainly not ideal for a product at this price point.

Would be curious to know if others encounter this issue or if I was just unlucky enough to get the bad apple of the bunch.  

1 hour ago, bit01 said:

@baconbrainI do not have the same hardware but looking at the DC ATX the holes do not look symmetrically centered on the board (could be an optical illusion?) I was wondering if you have tried it with the connector side against the MB? Worst case you can drill some holes? 

PS -seem symmetrical when I zoom in

Yes, tried both ways but there was still overlap. Also ensured that the mobo was mounted correctly using the Taiko provided stand-offs but unfortunately no difference.

59 minutes ago, JayM said:

First of all our apologies on behalf of the entire team here at Taiko Audio!

Regarding the L-brackets, so far we've in total been contacted by 4 people who had issues fitting the L-brackets. By far, most brackets were produced correctly. However due to human error, some brackets had been placed in the wrong position in the CNC mill which caused the wrong holes to be threaded. In the next DIY batch we've changed the design so that this can't happen again they will only fit one way. The people who were affected by an incorrect L bracket will be provided with a correct one. One person offered to fix it himself and asked us not to ship a bracket.

On the bottom-plate issue; As soon as Baconbrain contacted me by email (same issue as post above), I spoke with our design and production team what could have happened, because this is obviously substandard in terms of quality and the service we want to offer everyone. Here is a quick recap what happened:

We did physically test a DIY chassis here at the factory, with the same motherboard and our own ATX. It all fitted together brilliantly, however one of the the motherboards we used came with a shield back plate on which foam was attached (normally we don't have that). Because of the extra thickness of the foam the backplate of the DIY chassis would come under a little stress and bend ever so slightly. With a shield back plate (no foam) everything fitted perfectly. To make sure that all motherboards - including the ones with a foam covered shield back plate - would fit. Our design team moved all threads for the bolts on which the components - such as the different kind of motherboards - are connected 2mm to the front. This is where our mistake was made; our design team thought SolidWorks was moving all threads for all the bolts 2mm to the front but the ones for the ATX were apparently not selected properly. Originally there was 1mm between the sides of the ATX and the motherboard, and because only the motherboard has been moved 2mm, there is exactly 1mm overlap.

Today, as soon as we figured out what went wrong - especially since we test fitted everything here in the factory months ago - we started working on a solution. We already started production of a copper adaptor plate to be fitted between the ATX and bottom plate of the chassis. We will continue to work on these adapter plates tomorrow, and are hopefully able to ship these to everyone who ordered a DIY chassis - in the first batch - tomorrow afternoon. At the very latest these will be shipped out on Monday!

We once more sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused by the situation as described above.

@JayMBravo for the prompt response! My confidence has been restored.  

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

I'm running into a bit of an issue here, I switched off the server and LPSU for vacation and to aviud generating additional heat in the house during the heatwave.

Now powering it back on does not work, getting error messages from the MB but the strangest thing is that the LPSU shows 36V withoud load yet once I switch on the MB the voltage drops to 19 or so Volts, booting does not complete (which probably figures on 19V)....on the Taiko ATX a green led in the center is blinking, not having any more info than what is on the web makes trouble shooting near impossible....will see if I have a bog standard ATX lying around to try differentiate between the MB (or CPU) or the ATX/ LPSU.....damn... 

edit; additional observation: the voltage without load drops pretty fast without the ATX connected, where it used to stay at 35V for hours it now drops to 3V within a minute....that would IMO point at the LPSU (the Saligny power?

I'm hesitant to drop in the Taiko rectifier at this point....

Ideas anyone? 

The active rectifier on my ULPS died about 8 weeks ago which resulted in 0 voltage output...

I am certainly no expert but my guess would be the the problem lies within the ULPS.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, JayM said:

Unfortunately we are not always available to answer straight away. In case of technical questions like yours I really have to talk with people here at Taiko (in this case Emile), because I don't want to provide some generic answer but actually give you a response that might be useful. Also to be 100% honest Emile simply does not have the time (he wants to, believe me...) to answer every technical question regarding DIY components. This is because there are many questions related to Taiko Audio products like the SGM Extreme and other new developments that simply have to be given priority. 

Emile looked at the graphs and components you provided and he'd suggest "in your case to use the parallel connection option on your chokes and perhaps get a higher secondary resistance transformer like the Noratel we‘ve purchased for this project with 22/22/440 capacitance values. Contact us and we can work something out on exchanging your dc-dc atx combined with a Noratel transformer  and/or additional caps."

Hopefully this helps you out:)

@MarcelNL Since I lack the technical knowledge, perhaps you can help me to understand where the problem lies. Is it the ULPS or the dc-atx? Thx!

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SK8 said:

I started working on my DIY PC chassis for a couple of months now, my objective is to put C621E and Nenon V3 ULPS in the same box. I learned Adobe Fusion 360 and tried a few CNC small factories in China. The quality of their output is not at a high standard, but they can accept my 3D drawings and produce the metal works in a week time at reasonable costs. Here are some of the pictures of my work in progress. I will put in more copper walls and Permali wood to support the big capacitors and chokes.

Really like the look of the side elements, excellent work!

• 2 months later...