IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

2 minutes ago, shahed99 said:

At the end, system matching is important. 

+100  All the way to the room and your ears.  That's why this hobby is so interesting, IMHO, as strange bedfellows can, sometimes, really work in one's system...and be another person's impossibility! 

• 7 months later...
18 minutes ago, Dev said:

I am not looking into NUC and low power stuff - that road has met a dead-end a while back and have no desire to go back.

Do you mean as a server, or as an endpoint/NAA? 

• 5 weeks later...

I gotta assume power supplies are half the budget.  Given what the likes of Sean, Paul Hynes, etc cost (although Nenon can maybe help here in a group buy :)  ) it will be a good goal to stay around $10k all in.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope I am not going to hijack this wonderful thread but I've done a little searching and not found an answer.  What is TAS (Taiko Audio Server), is it both hardware and software, or a dedicated OS, or music software to replace or augment HQPlayer/Roon/etc?  I see some folks stating they are beta testing it, but also using HQplayer, etc.  A little confused, sorry for the OT.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

Good info thanks. I purchased my MB after seeing a few posts here also. I believe my Asus Maximum XII Extreme also has 16 power stages & no doublers. 

Can I assume the Asus is called Maximus, not Maximum, or are they different?  If Maximus, is this mobo $1500 and cost $160 to ship??  Yikes!

https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-maximus-xii-extreme/p/1JW-000C-00U79?quicklink=true

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

@Nenon It may help if you describe (or point at a location) your setup. The possible range between speakers and amps etc is very very wide.

And your taste in music, type of music (especially those selections you use for serious listening comparisons).

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, NellyWhads said:

Edit: I will most likely be using the system directly plugging into a USB dac running Audiolinux headless with Roon for library management and HQP for PCM upsampling (Some short DSD upsampling tests of course, but not all the time)

I know its not always possible, but for HQplayer's sake it would be very good to move Roon core to a different machine (assuming Roon is feeding HQplayer).  Easier said than done.  I've been told that Roon is overly chatty, and when I separated the two the sq went to the level of direct local HQplayer library access..meaning Roon had no sq impact anymore.  YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NanoSword said:

I have to thank Nenon for sharing his experience with Taiko ATX. It is now easy to get high performance for everyone without paying huge amounts of money and we have many options for ULPS.

I live in the US.  What are my current options for having a ULPS built for me; this is wayyyy over my pay grade?  I already own the Taiko ATX and would possibly build or have someone like @lmitchebuild me an HDPLEX 5 encased server to replace my i7-6700k Win10 beast for HQP.  I have no intention of asking prices, etc publicly.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nenon,

this is an amazingly great service you are doing for the DIY (or DINYBHEWKWTAD, "do it not yourself but hire someone else who knows what they are doing").  Two questions:

1)  For those of us using HQplayer and it's NAA "endpoint" do the differences between V2 and V3 still show through when the server is not directly connected to the dac?

2)  For US prospects (I already own the Taiko ATX but no new server build yet) what is the best way to contact the US builder who has agreed to the $500 build fee?  Not ready yet, but would love to know reasonable build and delivery times, etc.

Thanks as always

Ted

6 minutes ago, Nenon said:

But for heavy DSD upsampling, you may need more power. I think as a general rule if you can efficiently passive cool your server, the 5A will be fine.

My preferences are for the Holo May to see PCM as PCM and DSD as DSD, so my heaviest DSD lifts are DSD64 to DSD256 and some EC filter (so far).  But I've not come close to sizing a server yet, just know it will use the Taiko ATX, and therefore want to use the V3.