IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

Left my etherREGEN over night playing music to my Devialet Phantom (Qobuz) and it was still playing this morning. So I feel the Ubiquiti Router, FS SFP modules and etherREGEN are working well together in my second system. 

It was hot to the touch (using stock PSU) with a bare hand so I have borrowed a IR thermometer and will measure it later today to see what temperature it runs at.

Tonight I will swap out my Netgear switch and also place the etherREGEN on the wall so it gets better cooling and in my case the air from the fan cooling the cabinet will flow over it.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
6 minutes ago, _JL_ said:

I custom ordered heatsinks for the ER (and also Ultracap LPS).

This is something I also have considered if it still runs hot when mounted on the wall.

Where did you buy the heatsink?

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system

I have some measurments of how hot my etherRegen runs, between 47-48C and the cabinet is around 29C and stock PSU.

Main system

Second system
3 hours ago, FrankMA said:

Upgraded to Roon 1.7 and both Tidal/Qobuz have empty playlists and streaming fails on those tracks.  Connectivity issues every 1/2 hour.

I run Roon 1.7 and Qobuz with zero problems, seems that the problems with 1.7 only affects some setups. Played several hours last night with my eR connected no issues.

Main system

Second system
1 minute ago, thotdoc said:

Without setting up another player, is there a way I could tell it is Roon?

Have updated Roon to latest version 1.7 build 505?

Main system

Second system
  • 2 weeks later...

@Superdad I will give you a second chance to answer this as it might got missed in the other thread :)

I still wonder about the CE marking of a product that you sell to stores within the EU and directly to customers within the EU, why is there no CE aproval on the etherREGEN?

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/ce-marking/manufacturers_en

"Manufacturers play a crucial role in ensuring that products placed on the extended single market of the European Economic Area (EEA) are safe. They are responsible for checking that their products meet EU safety, health, and environmental protection requirements. It is the manufacturer’s responsibility to carry out the conformity assessment, set up the technical file, issue the EU declaration of conformity, and affix the CE marking to a product. Only then can this product be traded on the EEA market.I

f you are a manufacturer, you have to follow these 6 steps to affix a CE marking to your product:

1. Identify the applicable directive(s) and harmonised standards
  2. Verify product specific requirements
  3. Identify whether an independent conformity assessment (by a notified body) is necessary
  4. Test the product and check its conformity
  5. Draw up and keep available the required technical documentation
  6. Affix the CE marking and draw up the EU Declaration of Conformity (27 KB).

These 6 steps may differ by product as the conformity assessment procedure varies. Manufacturers must not affix CE marking to products that don’t fall under the scope of one of the directives providing for its affixing."

Main system

Second system
27 minutes ago, Superdad said:

If I have the right Fredrik (last name starts with letter 'A' correct?) then I see you have purchased at least 5 products from us over more than 5 years, including a JS-2.

So can you tell me why the matter of CE marking has become so important to you just now?

The etherREGEN is the first thing I have purchased from Uptone so you got the wrong guy.

So you can as a manufacturer outside of EU just ignore the aproval and sell it anyway?

Dont get this wrong I just want to know how this stuff works :)

Main system

Second system
2 hours ago, dminches said:

How did you measure the temperature?  Do you have a nifty gauge?

With a calibrated IR thermometer so I know it is right. I am not native English so the nifty gauge part what does that mean?

Main system

Second system
2 hours ago, alsterfan said:

can I free the ER from the heat transfer tape?

To be honest I dont know I have not used this kind of tape before.

2 hours ago, soares said:

Will you please indicate the link for the heat sink.

I bought the heatsinks and tape from a company in Germany named Reichelt.

Heatsink KS63-100E

Tape WL FOLIE 404 12

Main system

Second system
6 hours ago, alsterfan said:

P.S. The above shown heatsink weighs 2,6 kg. Would the case of the ER stand it?

If you refer to the ones I use they dont weigh much it is just a small piece of aluminium.

As I have it wallmounted tape was the best solution to secure the heatsinks to both front and back. Some sort of thermal compound would transfer heat better but I went from 48C to 41C in a cabinet that is around 30C so I am happy with that. 

Main system

Second system
2 hours ago, BlueDL said:

Could you tell me the dimensions of the thermal tape you used?

This is the tape WL FOLIE 404 12 it is one larger piece 200x100mm and I cut two smaller pieces that fit the heatsinks. 

https://www.reichelt.com/se/en/double-sided-adhesive-thermal-conductive-foil-100x200-mm-wl-folie-404-12-p112270.html?&trstct=pos_0

Main system

Second system
2 hours ago, bailyhill said:

This is one of the most professional and neat installations I have seen.  Great Job.  For me, if it looks right, it probably will

sound right.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Main system

Second system
8 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

I would like to use the second rail to power the er , is it ok to do like that ? 

Yes that is ok. To power the eR and other stuff on the A-side will not defeat the isolation. It is when you power stuff on both the A-side and B-side with the same powersupply that there might be broblems if they share -0V for example on their outputs.

Main system

Second system
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pokey77 said:

BTW, I am running AES/EBU to my TAD dac. To me, it is ever so slightly better than USB

Nice to see another TAD owner here, is it a D1000mk2 you use?

I use a dCS Network Bridge with AES to my TAD, the eR is feed with a 1.2m long CAT7A LAN cable from the B-side. On the A-side i have my Roon server and fiber to my router.

Main system

Second system
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

My approach is to keep the streamer hardware as minimalistic as possible.

I use the same approach.

I used to have thoughts about Melco and Innuos but decided to go with a NUC with Roon ROCK in a Akasa case.

Today I run fiber (LX 1310 SM modules 10km and Corning ClearCurve fiber) to eR directly from Ubiquiti Router. NUC on A-side and my dCS Network bridge on the B-side. 

The latest HD Plex PSU with 4 seperate rails power ISP fiberconverter, router, eR and NUC. 

This setup I'm really happy with and streaming Qobuz sounds really good on my TAD system. 

Main system

Second system

@mourip I have tried different voltages and the heat is the same so not much to gain there.

I run mine at 12v now and before I added heat sinks it was around 47-48C with heat sinks it is around 37-38C.

Sound wise in my system I found no differences between voltages and I had only a 12v available rail in my PSU so I went with that.

Main system

Second system
18 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Where did you get hestsinks from?

I bought them from a company in Germany called Reichelt. 

All my network equipment and Roon ROCK machine is in a cabinet that is fan cooled. 

_20191223_094424.thumb.JPG.8393425737d4c178e4c4389b053d39c1.JPG

Main system

Second system
5 hours ago, skatbelt said:

those fixation brackets may not be a wise choice in the context of vibration damping...

My eR is in a complete different room from my system in a cabinet fixed to a conrete wall so not much vibration to deal with. I have still considered to use some type of rubber damping between brakets and cabinet. 

Main system

Second system
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, hpfish said:

How do I connect from the IFI supply to the ER ground screw?

You connect the ground screw on the eR to protective earth in the outlet that you have pluged the iFi supply in. The simplest way is to use a grounded plug that you just connect a wire to ground in and connect that wire to the ground screw on the eR and plug it in besides the ifi.

Main system

Second system
6 minutes ago, bailyhill said:

This limits the 

drain current and as I understand, the ground is there for safety reasons.  Under a failure, I would thing you would want a direct

The ground screw on the eR is not for safety it is a functional earthing. This is a type of earthing forms a functional part of an electrical installation. Interference current can be discharged from the filters on the RJ45 A-side for example.

I would not use anything that has a high resistans to ground the eR to a ground in a outlet.

Main system

Second system
1 hour ago, Roasty said:

I wonder how many people are actually using the ER ground screw.. My other query is when would it be absolutely necessary to use it, given that the B side is going to be "clean" anyways..? 

I would say it is never a absolutely necessary to use the ground screw but it can be usefull if you use two copper connections on the A-side so you make a path to drain away leakage that way.

I run fiber to my eR and only use one RJ45 port on the A-side and in this case the ground is not needed but it does not hurt to use it (I have tried both cant say that it made any difference). I have a floating PSU that powers my eR).

If you use a powersupply that have the -0V connected to ground (like the supplyed SMPS) then the eR is automaticly grounded as the -0V inside of the eR is connected to the same groundplane as the groundscrew so then you already have the eR grounded via the PSU.

As @Superdad wrote all of this is covered in the User Guide.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0660/6121/files/EtherREGEN_User_Guide.pdf?99

Use of the EtherREGEN’s Ground terminal screw:We have measured high-source-impedance leakage on Ethernet cables coming from various other common network gear and computers.Leakage is common-mode AC current traveling over DC connections. It is pernicious stuffpassing easily along both analog and digital connections in our audio systemsand it is desirable to shunt it away. We address leakage in the design of the EtherREGEN in several ways, including our use of RJ45magnetics having 12 tiny transformer coresper port. And their center-tapsare wired to ground and to theEthernet switch chip through capacitors to maximally block port-to-port leakage. This works best if the EtherREGEN is groundedeither through the power supply or via the ground screw.The DC output 0-volt/-VE (‘ground’/shell)of the UpTone-branded AC>DC power supply included with the EtherREGEN is common to AC mains ground. When our supply is used to power the EtherREGEN it is NOT necessary to use the Ground screw.[Do not assume that 3rd party linear power supplies are like thissome are and some are not. Some multi-rail supplies have separate diode bridges and transformer secondaries and thus each output ground is "floated.” This is easy to test with a continuity/multimeter (be sure power is disconnected.)]If you power the EtherREGEN with a "floating" supplyone whose 0-volt/-VE (‘ground’/shell)is not common to AC mains groundthen ideally the Ground screw of the EtherREGEN should be used. You can do so by running an insulated wire safely to some AC mains ground or to the chassis of a known-grounded component in your audio system. [By the way, our UltraCap LPS-1.2 is a completely "floated" and isolated supply, so if using it with EtherREGEN the ground screw should be used.]Please keep in mind that all of the above regarding grounding concerns only the blocking of leakage from one RJ45 jack on the ‘A’ side to another RJ45 jack also on the 'A' side. Regardless of grounding, zero AC leakage from upstream Ethernet devices ever gets past the full active digital isolation and reclocking ADIMto the EtherREGEN’s 'B'-side port.

Main system

Second system