IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, sandervdp said:

I'm actually contemplating purchasing a second one, replacing the other switch in my setup (which is JS-2 mac mini  > JS-2 powered netgear FS105 > 10m JSSG cable > Farad-powered EtherRegen > .3m JSSG360 cable > Metrum Ambre streamer)

Two are working well in my system and I have a custom PSU on order from Sean Jacobs for them. My understanding is that because the JS-2 outputs are not totally isolated you may need two power supplies. The best option for earthing still remains to be seen - totally floating or just earthing the second. I'm sure Alex or John can elucidate.

1 minute ago, Audioclyde said:

I'm powering both the EtherRegen and USB Regen (USB Regen between B side and my DAC's USB input) with my JS-2, without connecting any external ground to the EtherRegen, and cannot discern any hum or noise issues at this point.

Thanks, that's great to know. I think some of the issue is whether, with 2 EtherRegens, this may defeat the moat. As far as I am aware (which isn't saying much), both of the rails on the JS-2 are floating, so it could be that earthing the second EtherRegen from the terminal is all you would need. But don't take my word for it. I have no practical experience as yet and am unsure whether the earth shunt on the bundled PSUs is able to stop loops.

Similar setup here and there was a step up in SQ for both with the ER. I find Nucleus+ internal SSD stored tracks vs Quobuz on an even playing field. Also a good broadcast quality Belden CatSnake (preferably Cat 6a in my system) sounds better than any of the much more expensive cables I have tried. You can get this from DesignaCable in the UK or Ghent Audio over the channel. Second best in my system was the Blue Jeans Cat6a.

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, flkin said:

I used the sPS-500 through a HPULN 5A cleaner, and a Gophert CPS-1610 II through double HPULN 1.5A. Also a 30W, 9V zerozone. And the including switching unit. 

No configurations managed to tame the treble. Within my specific system.

May I ask where your ER is installed. I found that having it near my Streamer DAC/Pre-Amp and their power supplies in particular (separate on my system) resulted in a more dynamic, less fluid and more brittle treble

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 1:52 AM, mourip said:

I have it clocked by a Mutec REF10 and fed from a JCAT Femto card in my server. This is by far the best my system has ever sounded: very clear, deep and for some reason more dynamic/taut. See my profile for system details...

Do you also have a LPS? If so which would you say made the biggest difference?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

I agree, the EtherRegen was an improvement to my system. It was just that using an LPS didn’t improve sq over the supplied power supply. I did listen critically prior to installing LPS, after installing, and then finally after switching back to supplied ps.

Or perhaps that LPS. I use a Sean Jacobs  custom LPS on my EtherRegen and it made a very big difference. Noting subtle at all.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

Give Al Di Meola and "Pursuit of Radical Rhapsody" (electric/acoustic) a try with your EtherREGEN and other gear. Absolutely mind blowing how the dense rhythmic and highly dynamic sections are presented, and it's a good record for testing your equipment - if you like that kind of music 🙂 With SD-card-booting Mac Mini now powered by JS-2, my system is from another planet...
Tom

Thanks for the recommendation. Enjoying it now....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Vangelis said:

Nice rack. I should be careful who I say that to, I could get in trouble. Are you powering a switch with one of your Super 3s? I am very impressed with the huge improvement my Super 3 brought to my EtherRegen. I have switch ahead of the EtherRegen. This switch did improve the sound of my network but it has a cheesy two dollar switching power supply. I’m just curious if I need to go as far up as a Super 3 on a switch ahead of EtherRegen or buy less expensive linear supply. Any thoughts?

The better the power supply the bigger the difference. The big PSUs from Hynes, Jacobs (CHFC) and MCRU are a big step up from the Farad. I would imagine the JS-2 is aswell.

18 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

For this sort of money, you'd be better off chaining two ER's.

The boost in sound will be more significant, and you'll be left with some spare change. 

Have you compared? I chain two EtherRegens and find it worthwhile but the Sean Jacobs (Custom HiFi Cables) DC3+ power supply made a much bigger difference.

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, jos said:

Agree, and Superdad was telling us from the beginning: it doesn’t make a lot of difference in sound quality. I have the same ifi iPower  x too. The Farad 3 could be best, but to expensive in my opinion, so I am happy with a little bit better.

On the other hand a big high-quality traditional linear power supply with big transformer and large current reserves makes a surprisingly large difference, but also costs more than the ER itself.....

• 5 months later...