IGNORED

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Ajax

6 hours ago, Ajax said:

I will be doing a thorough analysis of each file and providing the spectra and dynamic analysis to participants. I've already done that for a test file by The Latin Jazz Trio. Here's the spectra of all of the formats:

Memories-of-Rio-Spectra-ALL.jpg The Spectra of "Memories of Rio" in all six formats

One of the spectrum plots where there is clearly something wrong. Spectrum goes straight to the Nyquist of 96k sample rate. I guess yet another ADC that has got digital decimation filters wrong.

Have to download and see how many of these contain some actual content in the higher frequencies.

P.S. Never mind, doesn't seem to be actually available for download.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 minutes ago, kirkmc said:

Also, the fact that the 256 kbps MP3 has higher frequencies than the Redbook is a bit odd. Something wrong with the measurements? 

I think it is 48 kHz sample rate MP3.

Rest of course depends on the particular MP3 encoder. Not all the encoders sound or work the same.

5 minutes ago, kirkmc said:

This test should include AAC at 256 kbps as well.

Yes, that is interesting too. To me personally, AAC sounds better than MP3, and I think I know the technical reason for that too. Of course in that case too, a bit depending on the particular encoder implementation.

1 hour ago, Confused said:

So thinking about this, if we are told what filters are used to convert (upsample and down-sample) the files used for Mark Waldrep's "blind" comparison test, would it be possible to come up with an optimum filter(s) in HQPlayer to perform the comparison?  I am wondering if there is a possibility to have a setting in HQPlayer that would make this test as valid as possible?  Or maybe this is not possible?

Since they are all back to same format and already upconverted, you can compare with the caveats I mentioned. You can use whatever HQPlayer settings you would normally use.

I just wonder why the 44.1k version is not left as 44.1k version, it would make the comparison more representative when listening is done with a system that would be anyway used for listening similar files.

1 minute ago, audiobomber said:

I have a DAC that indicates sample frequency and bit depth, and another that shows sample frequency with coloured LED's. I would not deliberately check bit depth, because that would defeat the point of a blind test, but I could spoil the test inadvertently.

Yeah, mine too. It says constantly "DSD256"... ;) Regardless of source content.

The results would be more representative of reality if 44.1k would stay 44.1k, without excuses. If you don't want to see the display, you can put couple of PostIt notes on it.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

I'm still missing the context how that is related to Mark claiming something about filtering? Apart from pondering about rate conversions and filtering inherent to those processes (not explicitly mentioned).

I cannot see anything like that here: http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6197

18 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I have the original Vertigo 800 088-2 version made in Hanover W.Germany by Polygram and it sounds way better than any remaster that I have heard. It was manufactured in 1982.

Not surprising. Many new pressings are just created blindly from RedBook masters. While the old ones were mastered specifically for vinyl...

12 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

That ultrasonics modulate hearing is not grounded in certainty either. There are only two things about hi-res that are for certain: 1) that a very high sampling rate moves the Nyquist frequency further away from the audible pass band, and 2) 24 or 32 bit sampling allows for better low-volume resolution and/or more headroom.

Especially with DSD, you have Nyquist at minimum of 1.4 MHz... ;) And don't need to worry about number of bits, but instead get even better low level linearity.

13 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

This manifests it self in Hi-res downloads costing more than CD quality downloads. There is really no reason why this should be so except that audiophiles seem willing to pay $25 per hi-res album for the same music that is available at CD resolution for often less than half that! Never let it be said that retailers would deny folks the privilege of paying all that the market will bear.

Given bitrate factor of 3.3 between 44.1/16 and 96/24, I don't consider album price of 16,50€ bad for 96/24 midres.

2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I have been capturing in DSD for over a decade, now, for that very reason. I rarely listen in DSD except on my computer. Ironically, except for my Oppo 205 (the analog output of which is not connected to my amplifier), my main system’s DACs do not support it. No biggie though; If I make copies for anyone (usually the group members, or the orchestra association for the use of the conductor as a “study CD”), I give them Redbook transfers from the master. I also make hi-res LPCM transfers for myself (or my clients, if they wish) which I copy to my NAS for listening on my main system.

I think I have only three DACs that don't support DSD. All the rest do support DSD, even up to DSD1024...

When I buy content I prefer to buy it in the original recording format, not some conversion.

I very rarely send LPCM to a DAC though.