IGNORED

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Ajax

1 hour ago, marce said:

A good example of expectation bias, was people being given cheese and onion in a salt and vinegar packet, they all got the flavour wrong!

Which brand? If it was the boring Walkers, I'm not surprised. There's hardly any correlation between the flavour name and the actual ingredients.

7 hours ago, Jud said:

If an impulse lasts less than 1/20,000th of a second, is it inaudible?

The duration is unimportant. The frequency content is determined by the rise and fall times. It starts at zero and extends higher the steeper the slopes are. There will thus be some audible frequencies also in a very short pulse.

8 hours ago, Allan F said:

Would you care to share what evidence you have to support your contention that "chip manufacturers never could give a good reason why they included DSD"? I strongly suspect that you are presenting your opinion as fact.

Many DAC chips likely support DSD because there's sufficient demand for the feature that the relatively small effort needed is worthwhile. These days, they probably simply paste in their existing DSD handling block with minimal tweaking for each new chip.

7 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I really don’t understand your use of the term “vaporware”. In the computer world, vaporware is a product that developers/manufacturers keep promising to bring to market, but never do. If I’m not wrong, you are using the term to mean a product that doesn’t perform to it’s makers’ promises. Is that right?

Until Tidal started streaming MQA, vapourware was an appropriate term. A handful of demo tracks does not a product make.

5 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Thats not what we in the technical world consider “vaporware”. Vaporware is a product that has been promised by marketing people but doesn’t exist as a working product. It only exists as the vapor coming out of marketing folks mouths.

A classic example is Duke Nukem Forever, although it did eventually materialise. Another one is Project Xanadu, started in 1960 and having yet to deliver anything.

5 hours ago, gmgraves said:

It’s been a long time, but I seem to recall that the. Kernel of OS X was the one used in the NeXT  computer. NeXT was BSD UNIX. One thing that the UNIX core of OS X does is make the system bulletproof. While the Mac interface is logical, fun to use, and robust, what makes it really powerful is the easy access to the CLI.

OS X uses the Darwin core system consisting of the XNU (X is Not Unix), a Mach-derived microkernel, with some BSD bits glued on along with some of Apple's own pieces. The userspace shell utilities (ls, cp, and friends) came from BSD, but I don't think much else did. The executable file format is the Mach-O monstrosity (from NeXT) rather than something sane like ELF (used by most Unixes except OSF/1 and AIX) or even ECOFF. Considering all the disparate parts mashed together, it's a wonder it works at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This was about accuracy of resampling with integer vs non-integer ratios. There is a widespread belief that non-integer-ratio resampling is somehow inferior to integer-ratio. This is false. If a particular integer-ratio implementation is good enough, it can be easily extended to non-integer ratios using a polyphase filter bank without impairing the accuracy. How you ensure that accuracy in the first place is a completely different discussion.

1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

So getting back to this blind test. Do you see anything wrong with the methodology? Mark used Sonic Studio’s PROCESS tool to do the conversions. The maker claims this to be an "ultra-resolution" set of DSP tools, whatever that means. Any issues that you or anyone else is aware of with this tool that would invalidate the test?

It's easy enough to grab the files and check for any anomalies.

1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

How would you detect the loss of computational precision that John is describing other than as part of the overall error? I have the files and have submitted my test results.

Put them through your Deltawave software and look for differences that might be audible according established thresholds.

8 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Oh, that is your hot button -- about the integer vs. non-integer ratios.

I was responding to this:

2 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I agree, the two conversions ares a problem, especially since 96 to 44.1kHz is a non-integer conversion, requiring interpolation.