IGNORED

Who Owns An OpticalRendu, What Did It Replace? And Do You Own The Entire System Optique?

As the title says, I'm curious as to who amongst the members here owns the OpticalRendu, whether you own the entire System Optique, and what they replaced. Any thoughts regarding your experiences with it, and comments on performance versus other things you have used previously would also be most interesting to the general audience here, I would think. There has been a lot of discussion on this topic, here and elsewhere. .

JC

26 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

initial connectivity to the DAC?  each time it is powered up?  or continual issues while playing music?

Mostly when powering up.  It usually keeps a connection, once made, until interrupted by a need to boot up for whatever reason, although it occasionally will just stop after a random song partway through a playlist or album.  

Also, and this is a DAC issue and not a rendu one, some XMOS DACs have a problem with mixtures of 16/44 and 24/44 files, of which I have many.  That problem routinely would break the connection between rendu and DAC.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Quote from this Tom Gibbs review

My ears tell me that the Signature Rendu SE is the finest streamer currently available, regardless of price.

Nice, but I've never seen him review a streamer from anyone other than Sonore.  He reviews such high end equipment as AudioEngine A2+, iFi AC iPurifier and Audioquest DragonFly. 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 9/2/2019 at 12:21 PM, rickca said:

Quote from this Tom Gibbs review

My ears tell me that the Signature Rendu SE is the finest streamer currently available, regardless of price.

Nice, but I've never seen him review a streamer from anyone other than Sonore.  He reviews such high end equipment as AudioEngine A2+, iFi AC iPurifier and Audioquest DragonFly. 

The take away from me is that Tom Gibbs likes the Sonore Signature Rendu SE  optical a lot:)  

On 9/4/2019 at 1:05 AM, TubeLover said:

So, there is only ONE person in the forums here who owns an OpticalRendu and/or complete System Optique???

JC

There is plenty of feedback in my sponsored section on the opticalRendu, opticalModule, both together, and even mismatching with other gear.

17 hours ago, vortecjr said:

There is plenty of feedback in my sponsored section on the opticalRendu, opticalModule, both together, and even mismatching with other gear.

I understand, Jesus. I simply thought putting this topic out on the "General Forum" and asking specifically what the OpticalRendu/Optical module replaced for users might reach a wider audience than otherwise. 

Also, I've read the majority of the discussion on your forum, and it almost constantly goes into side bar discussions of the best types of fiber optic cables, the best fiber transceivers, ethernet switches, which power supplies, etc. and a lot of things that only add confusion. More than a few members here that I have discussed it with, and I, have had that same feeling. And it would honestly have helped myself and a couple of others to eventually make the decision as to whether to upgrade from UltraRendu's. 

And congrats for the very positive review at Positive Feedback. Your products always deserve the kudos.

JC

On 9/6/2019 at 9:11 AM, charlesphoto said:

FWIW, I have a Sonore chain of tow opticalModules flowed up by a microRendu 1.4 powered with a Sonore Power Supply (with an SR Black fuse add on). It currently sounds so good, I can't even imagine what stepping up to an opticalRendu would bring. I will someday, but the original (upgraded) microRendu just keeps getting better and revealing more and more with each addition of better power and cabling I add to it. I do think the opticalModules are the secret sauce, and I noticed a big jump in sq going from powering the unit pre mR with an LPS-1 to an LPS-2 (the first one post switch is powered with an HDPLEX 100). 

If you already have an UltraRendu, and funds are limited, I would say keep it and invest in either a pair of opticalModules, or one and a switch with fiber out. And the Sonore Power Supply with an upgraded fuse is a must if you don't already have a high quality power supply for the Ultra (I preferred the Uptone on the opticalModule). Then you can add the opticalRendu down the road if you want. I'm a firm believer that we need to move away from all of this planned obsolescence in electronics and stuff, and so unless you want to take a drubbing selling off your Ultra, keep it for now and upgrade the network and power around it, that way that infrastructure will be there when you upgrade to something better (and there will always be that if you just wait). 

Charles, thanks for your thoughts on this. But the only switches, with fiber out, that  I've seen recommended for use in networks associated with audio, seem to cost a fortune. Is there an affordable one I've missed? I have almost free access to used, older Cisco corporate network switches, but I'm not sure they would be usable?

JC

8 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Charles, thanks for your thoughts on this. But the only switches, with fiber out, that  I've seen recommended for use in networks associated with audio, seem to cost a fortune. Is there an affordable one I've missed? I have almost free access to used, older Cisco corporate network switches, but I'm not sure they would be usable?

JC

Used Cisco 2960 would be your best bet. That said, you may need to console in to get the SFP to work (be sure to use a Cisco or aftermarket Cisco coded SFP). I couldn't get the SFP on my 2960 to send internet for some reason so went for a second opticalModule instead. Considering my 'poor man's' Sonore setup (compared to say their RMAF signature setup) the sound quality is out of this world, and a large part of that imo is the oM's. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

On 9/8/2019 at 10:31 AM, charlesphoto said:

Used Cisco 2960 would be your best bet. That said, you may need to console in to get the SFP to work (be sure to use a Cisco or aftermarket Cisco coded SFP). I couldn't get the SFP on my 2960 to send internet for some reason so went for a second opticalModule instead. Considering my 'poor man's' Sonore setup (compared to say their RMAF signature setup) the sound quality is out of this world, and a large part of that imo is the oM's. 

Would a used Cisco 2950 work as well? I may have free access to those.

JC

On 9/8/2019 at 10:31 AM, charlesphoto said:

I managed to use it without console.

Meanwhile I ordered a oM to replace the Gtek.

I expect to receive it tomorrow.

I hope it works :-)

Best,

Jorge 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:52 PM, soares said:

I managed to use it without console.

Meanwhile I ordered a oM to replace the Gtek.

I expect to receive it tomorrow.

I hope it works :-)

Best,

Jorge 

Wonderful upgrade. !W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L! :-)

I truly advice the oM. Will try this weekend an LPS-2 feeding the oM, instead of the Jameco.

Cheers Guys!

Jorge  

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

I have access to Cisco SFB's. I'm being asked if I need single mode or multi mode?

JC

I am sorry, bon vivant!  I can't help you with computer jargon.

The Cisco I mentioned earlier works with the oM.

Bonne chance,

Jorge     

1 hour ago, soares said:

Wonderful upgrade. !W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L! 🙂

I truly advice the oM. Will try this weekend an LPS-2 feeding the oM, instead of the Jameco.

Cheers Guys!

Jorge  

Oh, you will be doubly amazed with an LPS-2 on there. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

13 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Crossing my fingers Charles! :-)

On 9/13/2019 at 5:41 PM, charlesphoto said:

Oh yes! I really was.

This is fantastic LPS-2 + oM!

Cheers, Jorge

On 9/13/2019 at 2:41 PM, charlesphoto said:

Kinda confused here.  Are you referring to an Uptone LPS 1.2 or are you referring to a different linear power supply?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s