IGNORED

[How-To] How and why to configure a shell replacement?

Phil — I am using my server to run Roonserver for Roon and also JRiver MC25 for remote access outside of home to my music library through JRemote. I note that in my AO 3.00 install, Roon as a shell is available, but not Roonserver separately. Now, I selected Roon as my shell and the result is a black screen with only the AO menu in the center. This looks like the Roonserver shell (which is fine) and not the Roon shell (which I presume would show the Roon GUI that I don’t need on the server anyway?). Wondering, however, if selecting JRiver as the shell would still allow access to the AO menu and produce better sound than with Roon/Roonserver as shell. 

Separate question on WS2019 Standard GUI mode, which is what I have installed. If I disable network related services in AO — which you describe as important to good sound — you are saying that my Synology NAS (where my music is located) will no longer function?  No workaround for that?  I’m also finding that even with network related services running still, my NAS connection is not persistent. That is, it requires manual re-entry of the NAS password, despite selecting to save password, upon any server reboot.  I used “/persistent:yes” in my setup. Thoughts?  JCR 

Hello

Of course RoonServer is available as shell replacement? Much more than that, see the entire list of Roon shell replacements here:

image.png.b8315b8603a414458f4f8c0d3c7c5761.png

Either way, for what you want you need to create your custom shell. See detailed steps here -> https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/56327-how-to-customshell-as-shell-replacement/

A mapped network drive does still work even when you select to disable network related services. But you have to use static IP configuration and need to map the drive using an IP instead of a hostname. The password issue I have never heard of, sorry.

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

• 6 months later...

So I finally got around to installing Server 2019 GUI.  I did the shell replacement for Jriver.  How do I load service tool again to disable the shell and return to default?  Can the command be run from a remote desktop connection?

Thank You.

2CH System - PMC MB2SE(2) McIntosh C1000C/T, MC2301(2) PS Audio DirectStream DAC, P10, P5. Wireworld Cables and Interconnects. CAPS based Music Server.

HT System - PMC EB1i(2), CB6i, Twenty.21(2) JL Audio F113. Bryston SP4, McIntosh MC207. PS Audio P5. Wireworld Cables and Interconnects. CAPS based Music and Video Server.

Hi

Simply press Ctrl-Alt-Del to either load the task manager or ServiceTool directly. Then you can choose to revert back to default shell.

Best,

AudioPhil

____________________________________________________________________________________

Loaded task manager, selected new task, command prompt, maneuvered to C:\AO and ran service tool from this location this morning.

2CH System - PMC MB2SE(2) McIntosh C1000C/T, MC2301(2) PS Audio DirectStream DAC, P10, P5. Wireworld Cables and Interconnects. CAPS based Music Server.

HT System - PMC EB1i(2), CB6i, Twenty.21(2) JL Audio F113. Bryston SP4, McIntosh MC207. PS Audio P5. Wireworld Cables and Interconnects. CAPS based Music and Video Server.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/13/2020 at 7:47 PM, mourip said:

For anyone on the fence regarding switching to Roon server as their AO shell replacement for Windows 2019 I can heartily recommend it.

My system is much more open and transparent now that I made the switch.

Do you set the shell replacement before or after running AO?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

On 7/21/2020 at 6:10 PM, doors.sl said:

Hi @AudioPhil,

I tried to set Fidelizer Pro (F) as a Shell but i get this error when the system boot:865399620_WhatsAppImage2020-07-20at19_46_48.thumb.jpeg.54ca5ea2fead0424baa436dfa06aba38.jpegDoes anyone have a solution?

Im using Windows 2019 Core Server + Jplay Femto + Fidelizer Pro.

Thanks!

i get that error -- it's a fidelizer issue, not ao.  it also doesn't matter -- everything works regardless.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
15 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

i get that error -- it's a fidelizer issue, not ao.  it also doesn't matter -- everything works regardless.

@Windows X, do you have an idea?

Best,

AudioPhil

On 7/17/2020 at 10:33 PM, dminches said:

Do you set the shell replacement before or after running AO?

Do AO first. Then launch the ServiceTool to configure the shell replacement as you need it.

This might also be interesting for you:
https://shop.highend-audiopc.com/blogs/audiophils-blog/how-and-why-to-configure-a-shell-replacement
https://shop.highend-audiopc.com/blogs/audiophils-blog/customshell-as-shell-replacement

Best,

AudioPhil

7 hours ago, AudioPhil said:

@Windows X, do you have an idea?

Best,

AudioPhil

Fidelizer has its own startup procedure and working fine since Windows Server 2016. Setting up Fidelizer Pro as default shell can cause issues with duplicated startup. I recommend to leave Fidelizer Pro with its own startup.

Regards,

Keetakawee

Happy Emm Labs/Viola/Karan/Rockport audiophile

Fidelizer - Feel the real sound http://www.fidelizer-audio.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @AudioPhil,

I recently started using AudiophileOptimizer 3.0 and I am amazed by the results in terms of sound quality.I want to go even further, using the shell replacement option. However, before going in that direction, I would like answers to these questions please :

1. Do I need to strip Windows 10 pro if I use shell replacement?

2. To improve the sound quality, I installed the following software on my computer: AudiophileOptimizer (ultimate mode), Fidelizer Pro 8.6 and Minimserver 2.0. How do I configure the shell replacement with that these three applications?

3. My Music library is installed in a Samsung 960 Evo 2TB SSD drive. Will I need to go back to the Windows desktop to drop new music in my SSD drive?

Thank you so much for your help!

Roon Rock (NUC8i3BEK), Lumin A1, Audioquest Water XLR, McIntosh C70, McIntosh MC302, McIntosh MC74 Tuner, Monsoon AC power cord, Audioquest Rocket 88, Dynaudio Focus 340 and BIS Audio EVO Powerstrip.

Hello beajuju

Thanks a lot for the feedback and the questions :)

1. No, not needed. But a nice additional step to have a cleaner windows installation with a lot less of bloat.

2. Please see here: https://shop.highend-audiopc.com/blogs/audiophils-blog/how-and-why-to-configure-a-shell-replacement

3. No. There are various ways to achieve that goal after using a shell replacement. One of them would be this one (page 28 of the PDF guide):

grafik.png.e0c584178c46312e42fe9792a7771a6f.png

Instead of launching ServiceTool like in the example above you would simply start "explorer.exe". This will launch the entire windows desktop "on-demand" so to speak.

Best,

AudioPhil

Thank you @AudioPhil!

It seems to be a bug or conflict if I am using a Shell for Fidelizer Pro (See post 15 from @Windows X). What would be the most appropriate solution?

Roon Rock (NUC8i3BEK), Lumin A1, Audioquest Water XLR, McIntosh C70, McIntosh MC302, McIntosh MC74 Tuner, Monsoon AC power cord, Audioquest Rocket 88, Dynaudio Focus 340 and BIS Audio EVO Powerstrip.

23 minutes ago, beajuju said:

Thank you @AudioPhil!

It seems to be a bug or conflict if I am using a Shell for Fidelizer Pro (See post 15 from @Windows X). What would be the most appropriate solution?

I'm wondering a bit about @Windows X answer because the combination of Fidelizer and the shell replacement feature has been working well for years now. As far as I remember there is a setting within Fidelizer which does not cause itself to start after login.

Very best,

AudioPhil

15 hours ago, beajuju said:

Thank you @AudioPhil!

Hi. Since Fidelizer Pro has its own startup procedure, setting up as AO Shell can cause conflicts. I recommend to use Fidelizer with its own startup procedure since Windows Server 2016 and newer has startup feature implemented now.

5 hours ago, Windows X said:

Hi. Since Fidelizer Pro has its own startup procedure, setting up as AO Shell can cause conflicts. I recommend to use Fidelizer with its own startup procedure since Windows Server 2016 and newer has startup feature implemented now.

Hi Kee

This is no good advice sorry. Fidelizer is using a similar to "autostart" function while the shell replacement is a completely different approach with a big effect on sound quality. Therefore it's not really advisable to just stick to the built in autostart feature, but to rather disable this and use the shell replacement with all it's advantages.

Best,

AudioPihl

Hi @AudioPhil,

Finally, I dismissed Fidelizer and chose to keep only AudiophileOptimizer with Autologon and minimserver shell replacement. My God!! The difference in sound quality is...HUGE! I had an Innuos Zen mini music server MK II and AO reach the same sound quality for a fraction of the price. It sound fabulous with my Lumin A1 with Leeds processing.

Does Windows server 2019 bring a significant improvement in sound? Is it complicated to install on an Intel NUC? I am not a computer geek but only an audiophile : )

On 8/5/2020 at 2:13 AM, AudioPhil said:

Hi Kee

This is no good advice sorry. Fidelizer is using a similar to "autostart" function while the shell replacement is a completely different approach with a big effect on sound quality. Therefore it's not really advisable to just stick to the built in autostart feature, but to rather disable this and use the shell replacement with all it's advantages.

Best,

AudioPihl

Fidelizer has reliable startup procedure with highest privilege enough to cover all tasks required for the optimizations. I think it'd be better to use shell replacement on audio player software to have maximum access level on high impact process. Well, users can try and decide for best optimizations.

Dear @tonym

I suggest you set Fiderlizer as shell and let it launch Roon Server. Alternatively set RoonServer as shell and let Fidelizer Autostart itself, both is possible.

Best,

AudioPhil