IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

Here's how I guess it would go:

1) Download minimserver onto the iMac in the other room. (BubbleUPnP resides on the uR itself)

Correct.

2) Transfer my music files into the Music folder of the part of that computer that I, as the user, preside over. (Or must I put in in the Public folder?)

You can place them in whatever folder you want on the iMac, you just need to tell Minimserrver the correct location of the root directory for your music files, just like you did previously.

3) Direct minimserver to those music files on the same computer.

Yes.

4) Turn on "file sharing" in Sharing (in system preferences of the iMac)

Hmm, I don't think you need to do this at all. Why do you think you need to do this? You are already moving all your music files over to the iMac correct?

5) Turn on "Wake for Wi-Fi network Access" (in system preferences of the iMac)

Correct. I assume you got Wake on Lan to work for you during the last go round.

6) Turn off minimserver on my MBP

Correct.

7) Cross my fingers and see if I can get Kazoo or Lumin to see it and play.

Yeah, and knock on wood twice too just to be safe.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Thank you, baddog.

1. Yes, I get plenty of signal and AEx is in client mode. (I can shut down wi-fi and plug in with my MBP via Ethernet and surf away.)

2. My previous set up was one reason I have been holding back on hi-res digital. That and my LP12! And my DAC. Good to know I can now tap into some hi-res music.

3./4. Great. I suppose it goes without saying that Apple Store purchased music is not compatible with this setup. No big deal. I can use Audio Hijack or something to convert them. All those file are just pop music anyway.

5. Thanks for clarifying on the SonicTransporter. Seems great there are so many niche products for working around set up particulars, but it feels unnecessarily confusing when you're first working it out.

6. I may keep iTunes kicking around for my wife, unless the controller software is just clearly superior.

Hope there isn't anything I've overlooked. Will order a Rendu now!

FWIW, I am doing 3&4 DLNA mode, mimimserver on NAS & Lumin as iPad & Android control app. Works great and my Macmini is totally out of the equation. Sounds so much better. Lumin works great, very intuitive and easy to teach to my wife.

You likely issue with your Apple music is losing album art because of how Apple doesn't imbed art in every file like the rest of the world does. Search archives for tips on Metadata editing including finding art. Hopefully you can download all Apple music in AIFF. Then kiss Apple goodbye.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Thanks baddog. See below (most replies are in the blue quoted box) . . .

Here's how I guess it would go:

1) Download minimserver onto the iMac in the other room. (BubbleUPnP resides on the uR itself)

Correct.

2) Transfer my music files into the Music folder of the part of that computer that I, as the user, preside over. (Or must I put in in the Public folder?)

You can place them in whatever folder you want on the iMac, you just need to tell Minimserrver the correct location of the root directory for your music files, just like you did previously.

3) Direct minimserver to those music files on the same computer.

Yes.

4) Turn on "file sharing" in Sharing (in system preferences of the iMac)

Hmm, I don't think you need to do this at all. Why do you think you need to do this? You are already moving all your music files over to the iMac correct?

It's only because I've done that, that the iMac shows up on my MBP as a "shared device" in my MBPs finder. I thought making the file where my music is accessible as shared was necessary to the music files available to the LAN, but perhaps not?

5) Turn on "Wake for Wi-Fi network Access" (in system preferences of the iMac)

Correct. I assume you got Wake on Lan to work for you during the last go round.

Actually I did not. I typed in the iMac's MAC address as directed, but when I have the app try to wake up the computer, it seems to be barking up the IP address of the wrong tree, perhaps my Google Fiber network box (which is a modem/switch device). I need to investigate that more. In any case, the iMac just keep snoozing.

Having read some apple info, it doesn't seem like I should need a special app to wake up the iMac to work before I want to listen. There seems to be a way internal to the Mac environment that does that. I could be wrong, but that is my impression (and it kind of make sense, given Apple makes computers for dummies like me).

6) Turn off minimserver on my MBP

Correct.

7) Cross my fingers and see if I can get Kazoo or Lumin to see it and play.

Yeah, and knock on wood twice too just to be safe.

I shall pray three Hail Mary's for good measure. But let's stick with audio--the thread about "spending stupid amounts of money on power cords" has gotten scary (ok, very political) in the past few days . . .

Update: got it working fine, baddog. Now streaming from a networked computer elsewhere in the house.

I just need to iron out the wake on lan business, as well as keeping it awake, suppose. Do macs fall asleep when a program like minimserver is running in the background. Dumb question, I know . . . But I seem to recall having some sleepy macs in the past.

Update: got it working fine, baddog. Now streaming from a networked computer elsewhere in the house.

I just need to iron out the wake on lan business, as well as keeping it awake, suppose. Do macs fall asleep when a program like minimserver is running in the background. Dumb question, I know . . . But I seem to recall having some sleepy macs in the past.

@sockpit It's all under System Preferences / Energy Saver. You should be able to set your Mac to run nonstop as baddog said; mine do.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Thanks, sbank!

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Tip: One additional thing you might try (at least it has helped me);

If you download the Fing app for IOS (free), you might set this up with descriptive designations (within Fing) for all mac addresses (or IP) for your current network. After re scan it is so easy to organize and keep control of which nodes that are alive or not (printable). Also Fing has a built in WoL feature.

@sockpit It's all under System Preferences / Energy Saver. You should be able to set your Mac to run nonstop as baddog said; mine do.

Thanks, i could do that but was hoping not to run that computer 24/7in awake mode. I have too much hifi gear always powered as it is, not to mention all the other plugged in stuff that's part of a first-world life-style in late modernity. So I'll resort to the command to keep the HD always running as a last resort.

Besides I'm learning so much about my computers since jumping on a uR that I can't resist the challenge of getting a WOL app to work! ;). Oh, and it does sound substantially better than the usb setup I had been using--no doubt about it.

Tip: One additional thing you might try (at least it has helped me);

If you download the Fing app for IOS (free), you might set this up with descriptive designations (within Fing) for all mac addresses (or IP) for your current network. After re scan it is so easy to organize and keep control of which nodes that are alive or not (printable). Also Fing has a built in WoL feature.

Thx. Will give it a whirl.

Thx. Will give it a whirl.

Fing works great, and it's nice to know and to be able to identify all the devices on my network (although one also realizes how successful Apple has been). It permits me to wake up the relevant iMac that has my music files and minimserver on it.

But the problem is as follows and its one so basic to networked computers, you'll find it silly: I wake the iMac up, get the music streaming and then after about 1.5 minutes the music stops because the computer has presumably fallen asleep. This is what I was afraid of. Of course, I can set the iMac to spin it's HD and be on call at all times in the Energy Saver settings.

But isn't Apple smarter than that? You'd think if a computer is running a program like minimerver in the background, that the computer would "know" that and not go to sleep. Explanations and tips welcome. Am assuming if I invest in a NAS, it won't need a wake up call, will remain awake, and will use fewer watts (if it's a decent one).

What do you have as settings for:

Computer Sleep

Display Sleep

Put Hard Disks to Sleep when possible ( enabled or disabled )

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

What do you have as settings for:

Computer Sleep

Display Sleep

Put Hard Disks to Sleep when possible ( enabled or disabled )

This iMac (in the other room) is running Yosemite. In the Energy Saver panel it gives me these options:

-Put hard disks to sleep when possible (I have this one checked because I assumed that if I didn't check it the HD would spin 24/7, which I'd prefer to avoid)

-Wake for network access (this one is checked because I assumed if its not checked a WOL app on my iPad couldn't wake it)

-Start up automatically after a power failure (not checked or too relevant)

Computer sleep and display sleep are both at about 12 minutes. The whole set up is what the default positions are.

There is a scheduling button, which tells it when to wake and sleep, but I'm sure you'll have a better solution!

thanks again

Ok, so the only thing throwing me off is that you are using Yosemite, I haven't used that in a while. Not a problem that you are running it, just some options are different.

So is it correct to state you want to leave this iMac always on, but have it go to sleep when not in use?

Try disabling put hard drives to sleep when possible.

This way we can determine if everything else works properly when we take this option out of the picture.

Ok, so the only thing throwing me off is that you are using Yosemite, I haven't used that in a while. Not a problem that you are running it, just some options are different.

So is it correct to state you want to leave this iMac always on, but have it go to sleep when not in use?

Yes, that iMac is always on, but asleep when, say, my kid's doing homework or mom is looking something up. That's the way I like it. Low(er) power usage the 20 hours/day it's not in use.

Try disabling put hard drives to sleep when possible.

OK. Will do. Am having guest for dinner then have to go to work for a few hours. Will report in later tonight or tomorrow. Best,

This way we can determine if everything else works properly when we take this option out of the picture.

See above between questions for my answers, baddog.

I just received my uRendu. I am trying to setup my network and I'm having some issues (I've never setup a network before).

My Xfinity cable modem is in a different room. My music room has no wired ethernet connection.

My setup: 2011 MacBook Pro (Yosemite) > Blue Jeans Cat 6a > plugged into WAN port on Apple Airport Extreme > Blue Jeans Cat 6a > microRendu >usb.....

I just purchased the AirPort Extreme for the sole purpose of using it with the microRendu. I also purchased Roon to use the uRendu in that mode.

I ran the AirPort Utility to setup/configure my Extreme and that appeared to be successful. However, I am getting a flashing amber light on the Airport Extreme (no access to internet), even though I am getting wireless service on my MacBook Pro. My I am unsure of my next steps to properly configure my Extreme for use with my uRendu.

I believe I've read that people with my situation (no ethernet connection in the music room) with an Airport Express would use "client mode". However, looking around the menus, my Extreme does not appear to have a client mode option.

Could anyone please provide step by step instructions to help me get my Airport Extreme configured correctly so that i can then move on to getting the microRendu setup (for example am I using the Extreme to "extend a wireless network" or "create a wireless network")?

Thanks,

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

This is a response to baddog above. Sorry, garbled the first answer. Mean to say it's asleep when kid is NOT doing homework and wife is NOT, etc.

Disabling putting HD to sleep didn't stop it from falling asleep according to how many minutes I set computer sleep for. Sound stops when it reaches x minutes. So it seems as though I must set it never to go to sleep or to put it on a schedule so it's awake in the evening when I'm home and sleeps after 11 or 12 pm.

But I'd have thought Apple was more sophisticated than that. Will do some more googling before giving in to 24/7 power consumption or buying a NAS.

I just received my uRendu. I am trying to setup my network and I'm having some issues (I've never setup a network before).

My Xfinity cable modem is in a different room. My music room has no wired ethernet connection.

My setup: 2011 MacBook Pro (Yosemite) > Blue Jeans Cat 6a > plugged into WAN port on Apple Airport Extreme > Blue Jeans Cat 6a > microRendu >usb.....

I just purchased the AirPort Extreme for the sole purpose of using it with the microRendu. I also purchased Roon to use the uRendu in that mode.

I ran the AirPort Utility to setup/configure my Extreme and that appeared to be successful. However, I am getting a flashing amber light on the Airport Extreme (no access to internet), even though I am getting wireless service on my MacBook Pro. My I am unsure of my next steps to properly configure my Extreme for use with my uRendu.

I believe I've read that people with my situation (no ethernet connection in the music room) with an Airport Express would use "client mode". However, looking around the menus, my Extreme does not appear to have a client mode option.

Could anyone please provide step by step instructions to help me get my Airport Extreme configured correctly so that i can then move on to getting the microRendu setup (for example am I using the Extreme to "extend a wireless network" or "create a wireless network")?

Thanks,

Blake: you want to do neither. Unless I'm misunderstanding the situation, there should be a "join a network" option, and that will join your new AE to the network (assuming you already have wi-fi set up in your place; if not, then there is no network to join). Join a network=client mode. You can get to these settings by opening the Aiport utility in your Utilities folder on your mac.

@Blake - Does your Xfinity cable modem also provide Wifi to your home, or do you have a wireless router connected to it?

If you can let us know the brand/model of the router you are using ( or if part of the Xfinity Cable modem than the model # ) then it should be relatively tight forward to help you setup the Apple Extreme ( you are correct, unlike an Apple Express there is no client mode ).

Do you have another Apple Extreme providing primary Wifi access, if yes the you would configure the new one to extend a wireless network.

@sockpit - ok - let me get back to you in the morning - odd behavior that you are getting - so I need to try something out here.

Just to confirm, this is on your iMac?

Yes. iMac in other room wired to the main (and only) modem (Google network box) wired to a time capsule upstairs which provides strong wifi throughout my small condo. An airport express in listening room picks up the wifi (in "join a network" mode) and is wired to the uR. No rush. Am able to listen. Would like to basically use that iMac like a NAS, storing the music and minimserver.

@Blake - Does your Xfinity cable modem also provide Wifi to your home, or do you have a wireless router connected to it?

If you can let us know the brand/model of the router you are using ( or if part of the Xfinity Cable modem than the model # ) then it should be relatively tight forward to help you setup the Apple Extreme ( you are correct, unlike an Apple Express there is no client mode ).

Do you have another Apple Extreme providing primary Wifi access, if yes the you would configure the new one to extend a wireless network.

baddog, sockpit: We do have WiFi already set up in our house through Xfinity. The unit is a Cisco XB3 (with Xfinity logos on it) WiFi/Modem/Router. It provides WiFi throughout our house. It is the only router in the house (other than the Apple Extreme I just purchased).

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

If I understand your setup (which isn't dissimilar to mine at home), I think you want to "Extend a wireless network" and don't plug anything into the WAN port on the AirPort Extreme. Just plug the microRendu and your MBP into the LAN ports.

This is a current-model (802.11ac) AirPort Extreme, right? If so, I have to say that it's a bit of overkill for what you're using it for. Long-term, you might consider hard wiring the Extreme to the Xfinity router (you'd use the WAN port for that), disable WiFi on the Xfinity and then either (1) running a cable to a switch in your listening room, or (2) using an AirPort Express (note: 802.11n) or a third-party range extender (e.g., something like this). A lot of folks whose opinion I respect say it's best to keep the WiFi stuff away from the audio-related components, so Option 1 is the preferred one, IMO.

--David

Edit: I got rid of that first bit about disabling WiFi on the Xfinity, because it was nonsensical in your current scenario. Still, probably not great to have competing WiFi networks.

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

If I understand your setup (which isn't dissimilar to mine at home), I think you want to "Extend a wireless network" and don't plug anything into the WAN port on the AirPort Extreme. Just plug the microRendu and your MBP into the LAN ports.

--David

Hi David: That may be the problem then- I initially plugged both Ethernet cables into LAN ports, but then in the AirPort Utility device setup procedure, it directed me to plug one of the cables into the WAN port, so I connected the cable coming out of my MBP into the WAN port.

Should I return this Extreme and get the AirPort Express?

Our WiFi coverage in the house from the Xfinity unit is just fine, even with multiple people on it at the same time so I am not really looking to change the WiFi setup.

I just need the device for my uRendu.

EDIT: Yes, this is the latest Extreme (802.11ac)

Hi David: That may be the problem then- I initially plugged both Ethernet cables into LAN ports, but then in the AirPort Utility device setup procedure, it directed me to plug one of the cables into the WAN port.

Should I return this Extreme and get the AirPort Express?

Our WiFi coverage in the house from the Xfinity unit is just fine, even with multiple people on it at the same time so I am not really looking to change the WiFi setup.

I just need the device for my uRendu.

That device is fine,

just take a look:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4027282?start=0&tstart=0

Basically, first connect with a cable or connect wifi to your extreme, configure in "bridge mode".

It will act as a simple switch and get it's ip from your router dhcp service.

You can use either port, apparently "All of the ports become LAN ports" in that mode.

If you don't need to extend the wireless, I suggest you also turn it off.

Hope it helps.