IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

The FAQ says the DAC does not need a driver for Macs, so that means it is a UAC2 compliant input, so it should work with the microRendu.

But your comment that it does not work with Aries seems to indicate otherwise.

Is there some place on the web where it talks about not working with the Aries? It may just be that DSD256 doesn't work, not that the whole thing doesn't work.

John S.

I would be curious to see what is going on.

The FAQ says the DAC does not need a driver for Macs, so that means it is a UAC2 compliant input, so it should work with the microRendu.

But your comment that it does not work with Aries seems to indicate otherwise.

Is there some place on the web where it talks about not working with the Aries? It may just be that DSD256 doesn't work, not that the whole thing doesn't work.

John S.

I have an Aries and I cannot connect via USB to the

Nuprime amp/dac . It will only show digital outputs and not USB .

So I'm wondering if the microrendu will also not be able to connect .

That is playing pcm files not dsd .

I had a problem with Peachtree 125 integrated amp with dac a few years ago . You could only connect a pc/Mac to the USB input . I could not connect the Auralic Aries either .

I have an Aries and I cannot connect via USB to the

Nuprime amp/dac . It will only show digital outputs and not USB .

So I'm wondering if the microrendu will also not be able to connect .

That is playing pcm files not dsd .

I had a problem with Peachtree 125 integrated amp with dac a few years ago . You could only connect a pc/Mac to the USB input . I could not connect the Auralic Aries either .

I just got an email from a customer using that device and it's working for him. The Peachtree should be fine as well.

I just got an email from a customer using that device and it's working for him. The Peachtree should be fine as well.

I don't know what to say other than Nuprime doesn't show up under USB on the Lightning app .

I'll reboot and try again to see if it shows .

You have to get with the A team:)

Yeah I turned the Aries completely off (power off ) and rebooted and it showed up .

Sorry for the alarm .

I shouldn't have to do that to get Nuprime to show up .

By the way , Peachtree told me their amp / dac would only work with a computer . They may have updated their software now where any streamer will work .

Yeah I turned the Aries completely off (power off ) and rebooted and it showed up .

Sorry for the alarm .

I shouldn't have to do that to get Nuprime to show up .

By the way , Peachtree told me their amp / dac would only work with a computer . They may have updated their software now where any streamer will work .

They don't want to be Linux friendly which is different than not supported.

So here is a "dummies-question": So I have an iMac with about 900GB of open space on its hard drive sitting in another room from my stereo. It is connected by ethernet cable to my home network, which includes cat 5e to three locations upstairs, but not to my listening room. I've now figured out a way to run a cable from an upstairs ethernet outlet down to my listening room/study. So it seems I could put my ripped music on that iMac in another room, load some server software onto it, plug the microRendu into the new run of ethernet cable to my listening room, and I'd be all set from the standpoint of hardware.

Now the questions:

1) If the iMac holding the software is asleep much of the time, will it wake up automatically if its basically functioning in place of a NAS and as a server? (You can tell I just use computers, but don't understand them!)

2) What server software do you recommend I put on the iMac? Minimserver seems to get a lot of press. Am planning on trying Linn's Kazoo on my iPad to control things. Is the Linn Kazoo Server software a better choice compatibility-wise? Am assuming I need both server software and an app as controller.

iMac is from 2011 running Yosemite. Not a lot of other demands on it at all.

@sockpit -

1. If you have the iMac set to sleep after a certain period of time, you could use one of the many Wake On Lan products out there to wake it up. I have seen ones that run on Macs, iPads, iPhones, PCs, etc... I use this to wake up my NAS once a day. Another method if you had another Mac for example is to Screen Share into the iMac as that too would wake it up.

i.e.:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mocha-wol/id422625778?mt=8

2. I recommend Minimserver, great software, and well supported by both the author and the community at large. Linn Kazoo as a control point works great with Minimserver. As does BubbleUpNP software if you need Tidal support as well. I have not tried Kazoo server.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Thanks baddog. I set up the app you linked me to. No go yet. I put in the correct MAC address of the iMac. When I hit the wake button it tries and tells me the MAC address and IP address of the computer it's trying to wake. The MAC address it show is correct, but the IP address doesn't match. Hmmm

Is Squeezelite mode the only way to integrate Spotify? I have a free two year subscription, and using LMS / Sqeezelite has provided a very convenient way to switch between my music library and Spotify.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Is Squeezelite mode the only way to integrate Spotify? I have a free two year subscription, and using LMS / Sqeezelite has provided a very convenient way to switch between my music library and Spotify.

Yes. You can run LMS right on the unit or on a computer on your network.

This Dummie (the OP) is happy to report that I've got the microRendu up and playing, and it does sound very good!

Here's my set up, given ethernet cable is currently lacking in my playing room: Quite old Airport Express (wall wart kind, but 802.11n) --> ethernet cable --> Rendu --> hard adapter --> DAC.

First Attempt-Failure: since I have been happy user of A+ I did the experiment John S. mentioned above of setting the uRendu to AirShare and seeing if I couldn't use the Airport output of A+ to direct the music to the uRendu. Although my MacBook systems preference Audio tab could see the uRendu (it calls it "sonicorbiterse"), A+ could not. A+ could only see Airplay and Built-in Input, and when I played to Airplay no sound came out. I bet there is a workaround--or I just didn't do something correctly--but someone would need to instruct me further, or perhaps A+ just can't do this sort of maneuver. In any case, this route would be a quick way for A+ users dependent upon Tidal to get up and running. But I'm sure you're going to tell me there are better ways to use this swiss army knife of a "toaster." The following seems to be heading in the right direction . . .

2. Next Try--surprising success: from reading CA and getting some help from the kind gentlemen above, I knew I needed a server somewhere on my network. So I installed Minimserver last night on my MBP and directed it to my music files on the MPBs SS drive. I also have learned I need a controller, so again, thanks to helpful people here, including Jesus, I downloaded the Linn Kazoo app a couple nights ago. With nothing to discover (then) it just spun endlessly. But having set the output of the uRendu to MPD/DLNA and made sure that Minimserver was running on my MBP I fired up the Kazoo app, and--magic, there was all my music waiting to be played. Boy was/am I proud of myself (can't you tell).

Next steps: 1) find out if/how Kazoo handles Tidal. I believe it does. 2) Run an ethernet cable into my listening room and see if getting the AE out of the equation gives me further gains in SQ. Presumably, the AE power supply is defeating some of the isolation I'm after, oder?

Anyway: thanks much to those who helped me get this far. Now listen to some music while I get back to work . . .

Help please: Tidal setup

There is no Tidal "tile" showing on Kazoo. I googled it and read around a bit. Am I correct in drawing the conclusion that I need to at BubbleUpnp (or whatever it's called) software on my MBP to get title set up? If so, can someone direct me to a website with a good version of that. If I'm incorrect and Minimserver and Kazoo should be able to do this on their own, what am I missing/doing wrong.

Thank you.

@sockpit - you need to install BubbleUPnP on Mac as well ( at least I would try that first, maybe there is an easier method with the microRendu )

BubbleUPnP Server

Then follow steps after installed in the Media Renderers section.

BubbleUPnP Server

I believe this is what you need to do, I have not tested it yet.

But when I was using Kazoo on my Mac with Minimserver and an Aries Mini I also installed BubbleUPnP on Mac and configured to Tidal showed up as well in Kazoo.

Sorry I cannot provide more details right now, @work, flying blind.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Help please: Tidal setup

There is no Tidal "tile" showing on Kazoo. I googled it and read around a bit. Am I correct in drawing the conclusion that I need to at BubbleUpnp (or whatever it's called) software on my MBP to get title set up? If so, can someone direct me to a website with a good version of that. If I'm incorrect and Minimserver and Kazoo should be able to do this on their own, what am I missing/doing wrong.

Thank you.

Did you get this working?

@sockpit - and promised screenshot, this is the Media Renderer screen as configured for the Aries MINI to get Tidal to work in Linn Kazoo on my Mac.

Again, if someone is wiser than me, please join in...;)

AAAAZZZZ.jpg

I recommend Minimserver, great software, and well supported by both the author and the community at large. Linn Kazoo as a control point works great with Minimserver. As does BubbleUpNP software if you need Tidal support as well. I have not tried Kazoo server.

Good chance I'll try Minimserver on my Mac.

But then, I see there are two Linn apps that should work as iPad control points (remotes): Linn Kazoo and Linn Kinsky.

So two questions:

Would either app work with Minimserver?

And if yes, what's the difference between Kazoo and Kinsky?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Did you get this working?

No. I'm a virgin when it comes to opening Terminal windows ;) But I'm surrounded by engineers, astrophysicist, and silicon geeks, who can bail me out if I don't succeed.

Hell, I'm on a roll today, so may give it a try. Thanks for asking. Frankly, I've been listening to the uRendu for the last couple hours. On my system the bass is really enhanced, compared to A+. My sub is on a DSPeaker Anti-Moded Dual Core, and therefore I can control its crossover and volume electronically. I've had to cut the bass by 8 decibels. Much punchier. I have small satellites so better bass (it's not muddy) is good. Will come back for help if I get stymied. Best.