IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

Ah, 200 GB, probably still not enough to land you in NAS land, unless you want to cut the tether from the Macbook.

Yes you have outlined the plan well.

BTW - in your path you indicate an RUR, what is that?

Here is my chain: 2013 Powerbook Pro using Audirvana+ 2.5--> USB --> --> RUR -->Exogal Comet DAC --> power amp --> speakers. Simple.

Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB Reclocker--one of those many gizmos sprouting up clean up USB feed to DAC, like the Uptone Regen. Am expecting this to become redundant with the microRendu . . .

The best option by far is #1. I talk to people all the time who spend $1000s or $100Ks on their audio equipment but try to get around spending a few hundred dollars on a good network connection.

A good network connection will not only make your audio equipment work better but also make your life easier setting everything up and keeping it all working.

The next best option is Homeplug. Noise is bad. WiFi creates noise and HomePlug creates noise.

The best option would be to have neither and use a hard Ethernet connection (this is why option 1 is the best). This is not practical. You need wifi devices such as tables and phone in your house.

HomePlug at least keeps the noise confined to the power lines where it can be easily filtered out by a power conditioner. HomePlug is super reliable and very good for audio streaming.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

Obviously best solution is hard wiring, but I did the powerline modules, Linksys PLEK 500. They created a bit of noise though. Added PS AUDIO Noise Harvesters to each module's home receptacle, and the noise was reduced below where I could hear it.

I'm not a Mac user so I don't know much about A+, but I did a quick perusal of the A+ FAQ and it says you can output to airplay, the microRendu can be setup as an airplay device so you should be able to use it directly with A+. I have no idea if there are any limitations to this, others that are more Mac knowledgeable than me will have to answer that.

I'm pretty sure that with AirPlay, you're limited to 16/48. Higher-res material gets downsampled, AFAIK.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

so in my case , mac mini plugged to my airport express ( client mode no wifi) and the second lan port of the airport plugged to the micro rendu and it 'll works.. pretty simple !

just hope the inside ethernet isolator of the micro rendu will be enough to take the noise from the mac mini and airport SMPS..

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

so in my case , mac mini plugged to my airport express ( client mode no wifi) and the second lan port of the airport plugged to the micro rendu and it 'll works.. pretty simple !

just hope the inside ethernet isolator of the micro rendu will be enough to take the noise from the mac mini and airport SMPS..

I wouldn't assume that. I tried the latest AirPort Extreme, with the built in SMPS. The sound became significantly worse. I have a Regen in the system. The new Extreme was returned and I went back to the previous generation Extreme, for which I have a linear power supply. It's the noise these SMPS's put back on the AC line you have to also consider.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

i know that i have a isolation transformer to separate the computer rig and the Hifi. i will try like that at first or i will build another linear power supply for the airport and make it work in wifi with the mac

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

OK, thanks for the good feedback. I've begun to think about how I might extend the ethernet wiring in my condo to the room where it's lacking. Will be a hassle, and maybe slightly ugly somewhere (wife is eyeing me suspiciously; she knows I'm up to something), but sounds like its worth it in the long hall.

Are there length limits on Cat 5 or 6 cables I need to observe. Am probably going to need to at 40 feet to a 40 foot run.

40 feet you will be fine. Either Cat 5e or Cat 6, either will do.

But I do suggest you start first with your Express, no need to spend additional money right now. If the Express does not work out than consider the other options.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

That's my immediate plan. Will even see if and how well the A+ with Tidal will play to the Airshare output of the mRendu. I have very little music that's not redbook, and the convenience of Tidal keeps me from investing in more.

Then I'll likely download kazoo and try and get that working and see if there is a difference.

But eventually I'll probably want to take my MBP out of the equation and get a modest NAS to hold the server, music, and photos, etc. By which time I will have figured out how to run more cable (i.e., just where to drill).

I'm also wondering, can I use the Rendu on a PC setup without a NAS. Would a USB to Ethernet adaptor work? I love the idea of the Rendu but not setting up a NAS. I have a WD mycloud. But I don't feel its in the same league as a true NAS ie. Synology or the like.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

I'm also wondering, can I use the Rendu on a PC setup without a NAS. Would a USB to Ethernet adaptor work? I love the idea of the Rendu but not setting up a NAS. I have a WD mycloud. But I don't feel its in the same league as a true NAS ie. Synology or the like.

You seem to be missing the point of the microRendu. You need another computer (e.g. server, NAS, etc.) in your setup that works as the player and sends the output via Ethernet to the microRendu. So your music files need to be connected to this other computer by whatever means (e.g. external USB HDD, NAS, etc.).

One example is the new sonicTransporter

I have several PC's throughout the house all running Jriver as slaves?/client. All my music is stored on the PC and various external hard drives. I do get the sonicTransporter is one way of doing things. I was hoping to find or cheat my way without a NAS. I'm sure I could figure out how to set up a NAS drive but my computer skills suck. I've learned a ton from this site though. I will be moving to a Roon/Tidal set up soon. I can always start with Roon/Tidal and then over time change to a Ethernet connection. The Rendu has so many unique features. It's the reason after 5 years non violent trolling on this site, I've decided to subscribe.

Thanks for your response

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

I have several PC's throughout the house all running Jriver as slaves?/client. All my music is stored on the PC and various external hard drives. I do get the sonicTransporter is one way of doing things. I was hoping to find or cheat my way without a NAS. I'm sure I could figure out how to set up a NAS drive but my computer skills suck. I've learned a ton from this site though. I will be moving to a Roon/Tidal set up soon. I can always start with Roon/Tidal and then over time change to a Ethernet connection. The Rendu has so many unique features. It's the reason after 5 years non violent trolling on this site, I've decided to subscribe.

Thanks for your response

If you get a NAS from Synology, they have a pretty decent UI so it is not difficult in setting up. Once you setup the NAS, you can find the NAS on your network using Windows Explorer (assuming Windows OS). At that point simply move (or copy) music files to the NAS.

There are similar NAS companies but I am only familiar with Synology.

Bottom line: NAS units are REALLY nice in sharing files across a network.

That's most likely the route I'll take. Thanks again for your advice.

NAS is definitely a nice way to go, but if you have several computers setup already, each with there own storage and they will remain running whenever you want to listen to music, Roon is extremely good about using/accessing music files anywhere on any of that storage. One PC becomes your main Roon system (Roon Core). That is the one that is licensed. All others can be controllers or just bridges. If they are all networked (preferrably via ethernet), then you just add the microRendu to your network such that Roon sees it and streams to it (at least, that's how I believe it will work - I won't have mine until Thursday). But Roon + microRendu should be able to support your current setup if I'm understanding correctly.

Of course, using a single NAS rather than multiple computers each with their own storage is, in the long run, a better and simpler way to go.

Win 10 PC -> Roon -> Sonore µRendu -> Devialet 440 Pro -> Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers

Durham, NC

I hope that setup you mentioned, is a possible solution. I'm a little ways away from ordering the Rendu. I think I will Start with Roon/Tidal first and get comfortable with the their settings/layout. Then I'll purchase the Rendu. It'll probably be on back order but that gives me plenty of time to read everyone's thoughts. The past few months, all I was concentrating on, was what new DAC to purchase. I'm interested in hearing what the Rendu can do with my old DAC and then a new one later. Thanks again for your advice. Good luck with your Rendu. I hope I didn't side track the original thread.

"I hope I didn't side track the original thread."

Not at all: the thread is intended for newcomers to the idea of networking who are interested in learning relatively simple, but effective (esp. with respect to SQ) ways to begin using a microRendu. Many current buyer of the "appliance" will just slip it into their existing network. We have to work a bit harder . . .

Thanks for your response

I use a Synology and highly recommend it.

But if all your PCs and external HDDs are on the same local network, then its only a matter of pulling ethernet to the microRendu (directly from the router or using something like a WiFi extender/repeater with ethernet if the microRendu is located in a separate room).

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Master, Can I ask which Synology model you have? I've been eyeballing the DS 216 and DS216J as not too future possibilities. My library is currently small, but I'm aiming to eventually get the computer out of the equation and control via iPad.

Suggestions about how low or how high to shoot in the Sinology line are welcome. I think I only need two bays, not four, so far as I can anticipate. I back up religiously and redundantly already. Thx.

Master, Can I ask which Synology model you have? I've been eyeballing the DS 216 and DS216J as not too future possibilities. My library is currently small, but I'm aiming to eventually get the computer out of the equation and control via iPad.

Suggestions about how low or how high to shoot in the Sinology line are welcome. I think I only need two bays, not four, so far as I can anticipate. I back up religiously and redundantly already. Thx.

I've the DS1515+ but that was a requirement for Plex (needs Intel CPU) for video transcoding. If video is not a necessity then non-Intel CPUs will work fine too and cost less.

Make sure you have MinimServer, BubbleUPnP Server packages for the model you plan to go for (I'd think they would be available for all, but Plex has taught me otherwise). Roon is not available yet, but I've heard folks have got it working, I myself will be trying it (Roon) over the coming weekend. The microRendu will typically use one of them.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

I use a Synology and highly recommend it.But if all your PCs and external HDDs are on the same local network, then its only a matter of pulling ethernet to the microRendu (directly from the router or using something like a WiFi extender/repeater with ethernet if the microRendu is located in a separate room).

That's what I was hoping I could do. Not knowing the ins and outs of how ethernet cables work, had me wondering if this was possible. But I guess just like Jriver recognizes every other computer that I have it installed on, so will the microRendu. With Roon of course. Your comments are reassuring.

Will the microrendu work with amps with integrated Dacs like the Nuprime Ida-8 . This amp will not work with streamers like the Aries via USB . USB will only work with a computer

The FAQ says the DAC does not need a driver for Macs, so that means it is a UAC2 compliant input, so it should work with the microRendu.

But your comment that it does not work with Aries seems to indicate otherwise.

Is there some place on the web where it talks about not working with the Aries? It may just be that DSD256 doesn't work, not that the whole thing doesn't work.

John S.