IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

Has anyone used this device connecting to a router that's that not your main router ? Just wondering what the audio quality is like using this setup considering the urendu is not a wireless device .

Yes I'm currently connecting the mRendu to the Apple Airport Express used as a wireless bridge to Ethernet. No glitches, drop outs or stutters at all, zero to date. The audio quality is excellent, using a Supra Ethernet cable.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

The skipping problem seems to have gone away (fingers crossed) since having rebooted everything I could think of last night.

My iPad2 doesn't currently have a data plan and I checked settings to see that it is on my network. Both Kazoo apps (iPad's and MBP) are misbehaving in their own ways. Will try some things before writing more about it.

My setup too. No problems with dropouts, etc. SQ is very good. Am still going to run some ethernet cable to this room soon to get the power supply of the AE out of the equation.

I too will likely eventually run Ethernet into that room and ditch the AE entirely, it's SMPS likely detracting somewhat from overall system performance.

But right now I'm having too much fun to worry about that.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Hi,

I do not have a NAS nor plan to have one and my wired connection is over power line which I would like to avoid. That been said, could the following configuration (in my listening room) work with the uRendu?

USB HDD (with AIFF music files)>(USB cable)>Raspberry Pi 2 (or 3)>(ethernet cable)>Apple Airport Express>(ethernet cable)>Sonore uRendu>DAC.

I would like to use the Airport Express as an Access Point and an iPad with a control application (which one?) over wi-fi.

Except for initial setup and occasional maintenance tasks, can I use this configuration without connection to the internet? Or should/can I still keep a wireless connecion to my main router?

Software wise, how do I easily setup the Raspberry Pi?

Disclaimer: I am a total dummy and cannot do Linux at all.

Thanks a lot in advance for any guidance and advice.

JoseL

Hi,

I do not have a NAS nor plan to have one and my wired connection is over power line which I would like to avoid. That been said, could the following configuration (in my listening room) work with the uRendu?

USB HDD (with AIFF music files)>(USB cable)>Raspberry Pi 2 (or 3)>(ethernet cable)>Apple Airport Express>(ethernet cable)>Sonore uRendu>DAC.

I would like to use the Airport Express as an Access Point and an iPad with a control application (which one?) over wi-fi.

Except for initial setup and occasional maintenance tasks, can I use this configuration without connection to the internet? Or should/can I still keep a wireless connecion to my main router?

Software wise, how do I easily setup the Raspberry Pi?

Disclaimer: I am a total dummy and cannot do Linux at all.

Thanks a lot in advance for any guidance and advice.

Will work. MinimServer (on the Pi) comes highly recommended.

S/w involves copying an image on an SD card. Be done in 5 mins.

Linux noob myself, but I got the Pi up and running in under 20 starting from scratch.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Will work. MinimServer (on the Pi) comes highly recommended.

S/w involves copying an image on an SD card. Be done in 5 mins.

Linux noob myself, but I got the Pi up and running in under 20 starting from scratch.

Thanks master. Could you please provide a link to the image. The setup/installation instructions that I found (MinimServer website) involve terminal windows and commamd lines and seem complicated to me.

Is there an easier way, like a preconfigured image with a user friendly UI?

JoseL

Thanks master. Could you please provide a link to the image. The setup/installation instructions that I found (MinimServer website) involve terminal windows and commamd lines and seem complicated to me.

Is there an easier way, like a preconfigured image with a user friendly UI?

1. Download Raspbian - https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/.

2. Use Win32 Disk Imager to write the image on an SD card - https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/.

3. Plug the SD card into the Pi and power it.

4. Use PuTTY to log into the Pi - Download PuTTY - a free SSH and telnet client for Windows. Login = pi, password = raspberry.

From the Pi's Command Prompt follow these instructions Installing MinimServer on the Raspberry Pi.

Just follow along and it will work.

Install MinimWatch on a PC or laptop to configure MinimServer, its easier - http://minimserver.com/install-windows.html.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

@sockit - in regards to Linn Kazoo running on your iPad which can locate the microRendu and can playback music to the microRendu, but cannot display/access Tidal.

Try this extra set of steps to see if you can get Kazoo to show Tidal.

Delete Kazoo from iPad (again).

Completely shutdown iPad.

Re start iPad.

Install Kazoo.

Launch Kazoo with fingers crossed.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

@sockit - in regards to Linn Kazoo running on your iPad which can locate the microRendu and can playback music to the microRendu, but cannot display/access Tidal.

Try this extra set of steps to see if you can get Kazoo to show Tidal.

Delete Kazoo from iPad (again).

Completely shutdown iPad.

Re start iPad.

Install Kazoo.

Launch Kazoo with fingers crossed.

Thanks baddog.

Breakthrough: I just discovered that when you tap the word "rendu-009786" at the top of the iPad Kazoo app (when in My Music), a drop down menu comes down which shows the open home 'sibling':"rendu-009786-OH" that I created in BubbleUPnP. Select that and the Tidal tile appears as a "room," as does Qobuz. Am I a dummy or what?

But I'm not out of the woods yet: When I access Tidal and play an album, it still skips partway through each song moving on to the next song. When I just stick with "My Music" there is so far no such skipping problem.

I might load Kazoo again on my MBP and see if the skipping problem goes away (assuming I can get it to find the uR--I had problem with that earlier today).

I'm not hankering to replace my iPad2, but it is very old and slow. Kazoo has crashed twice on it this afternoon. Maybe the skipping is from its struggling to keep up? Advice on how to isolate the problem and what the cause might be are welcome. I can say that Tidal has never skipped around like this when using A+ on my MBP, so I doubt it's Tidal's fault.

Finally a word about SQ: uR is clearly superior to my previous A+ --> RUR --> Exogal Comet Plus setup. More dynamics, detail, and bass. Am hearing some nuances for the first time. Quite happy after 2 days of use. Power supply = the 9v wall wart that goes with the RUR, and I'm still ethernet cabled to a very old Airport Express, so there are at least two tweaks left in me.

I seem to recall your WiFi signal was weaker in the part of the house you have put the microRendu.

Try to move with your iPad to an area of the house with a stronger Wifi signal and see if you still have the Tidal playback issue.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Both MBP and iPad2 show three bars of strength in my listening room. Neither has ever had problems controlling A+ while streaming Tidal.

More info: I reinstalled Kazoo on the MPB (after shutting it down on my iPad.) It, too, controls My Music without a hitch. And it, too, skips almost once a track when streaming Tidal! So I don't think it is the old iPad's fault. In short: I'm still shut out of Tidal use, even though I've managed to connect via "uRenduxxxxx-OH".

I'll start googling "Kazoo" AND "Tidal" and "skipping", but if anyone can help me isolate the issue, given the complex interplay of Kazoo, minimserver, BubbleUPnP, and so forth, I'd be grateful.

Well if you have some time to kill and since you are getting so good at this, why not try the Lumin application on your iPad? It too has Tidal support, maybe it will work better than the Kazoo application.

I too will likely eventually run Ethernet into that room and ditch the AE entirely, it's SMPS likely detracting somewhat from overall system performance.

But right now I'm having too much fun to worry about that.

if your main router have a SMPS too it will also pollute the ethernet link , a solution is making a nice linear 3.3V 1amp power supply for the AirPort Express or just let the ethernet input isolator of the microrendu do his job

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

Both MBP and iPad2 show three bars of strength in my listening room. Neither has ever had problems controlling A+ while streaming Tidal.

More info: I reinstalled Kazoo on the MPB (after shutting it down on my iPad.) It, too, controls My Music without a hitch. And it, too, skips almost once a track when streaming Tidal! So I don't think it is the old iPad's fault. In short: I'm still shut out of Tidal use, even though I've managed to connect via "uRenduxxxxx-OH".

I'll start googling "Kazoo" AND "Tidal" and "skipping", but if anyone can help me isolate the issue, given the complex interplay of Kazoo, minimserver, BubbleUPnP, and so forth, I'd be grateful.

Send me an email at [email protected]

Update: I contacted Jesus as instructed and he remoted into my computer and added some "Sonore secret sauce" to the uR software to fix the skipping issue. So far so good! And very prompt and competent support I might add. Thing sounds really nice too. This wasn't a minor upgrade in my modest system; it was a leap to a new level of SQ.

Ordered some cat 6 from Blue Jeans, and will wait upon the mystery supply or something in that price range to try later.

That is good news, so it was not a Tidal, Kazoo, or Lumin issue, rather some tuning to the parameters of the software within the microRendo. Happy that you are now leading a skip free life style.

Thanks for the good wishes and help along the way. Am playing Lumin happily. Powerful little app. I will no doubt be back with more dumb questions, but others dealing with basics should feel free, of course, to add their questions here.Now for some listening!

Thanks for this topic. I’m comfortable enough with computing, but inexperienced with network computing for audio devices so I got lost around post #12, or was it #20 or #24?

But, I've read between the lines a bit and I think I've narrowed the newbie questions.

My current setup is Mac > Ethernet > Airport Extreme Wireless > Wi-Fi > Airport Express > Optical out > Wyred 4 Sound Remedy Reclocker > Coax > Musical Fidelity V-DAC II > ... (Yeah, I know the DAC is... um, classic! But honestly, the sound is just shy of glorious right now.) Software is Apple Remote and awful iTunes, currently (sacrilegious, I know). And, no interest in DSD, Roon or Tidal or any streaming from the 'net, yet. Maybe if I can get this stuff working, hi-res files will actually sound like hi-res, right?

So given the need to send data wirelessly over Wi-Fi, may I ask:

1. If I use an Airport Express (with Ethernet WAN/LAN) wirelessly connected to my existing Wi-Fi network, I can connect the microRendu to the Airport Express via Ethernet, correct?

2. Will this setup allow hi-res files to play as native hi-res and not be auto-downsampled as they are now via iTunes?

3. A better sounding setup would be to use my music files on my NAS (Synology) and a controller (such as Linn?) right?

4. To make #3 work, assuming it's "better than iTunes," I just need server software like Minimserver? Does that software reside on the Mac or the NAS?

5. Would the Sonore SonicTransporter be a better device to stream music from the NAS than the Mac? If so, why?

6. Do I have the right conception? It seems I don't strictly need the Mac in the system if I have the NAS running. Actually I wonder if iTunes/Airplay could operate alongside the microRendu... But that's just curiosity. I'd rather just dispense with iTunes altogether someday.

Thank you,

LC

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Some answers to your questions:

So given the need to send data wirelessly over Wi-Fi, may I ask:

1. If I use an Airport Express (with Ethernet WAN/LAN) wirelessly connected to my existing Wi-Fi network, I can connect the microRendu to the Airport Express via Ethernet, correct?

This should assuming you are receiving a strong WiFi signal at the Airport Express? What version of the Airport Express do you have and is it set for client mode ( meaning it provides an ethernet connection and does NOT extend your wireless network)?

2. Will this setup allow hi-res files to play as native hi-res and not be auto-downsampled as they are now via iTunes?

Short answer is yes.

3. A better sounding setup would be to use my music files on my NAS (Synology) and a controller (such as Linn?) right?

Install Miminserver on NAS, set microRendu to correct mode and use a controller such as Linn Kazoo or Lumin. Correct.

4. To make #3 work, assuming it's "better than iTunes," I just need server software like Minimserver? Does that software reside on the Mac or the NAS?

You can install Minimserver on a mac or a NAS. If all your music files are on your NAS, then that is where Minimserver should be installed.

5. Would the Sonore SonicTransporter be a better device to stream music from the NAS than the Mac? If so, why?

Depending on what your final setup is, for example if you are not using Roon, then you probably don't need either device. Meaning you could use the NAS, Minimserver, microRendu, and Kazoo or Lumin and be all set.

6. Do I have the right conception? It seems I don't strictly need the Mac in the system if I have the NAS running. Actually I wonder if iTunes/Airplay could operate alongside the microRendu... But that's just curiosity. I'd rather just dispense with iTunes altogether someday.

Just as an FYI, my answers above did not factor in the iTunes/Airplay setup, I defer to someone else to answer that.

Thank you, baddog.

1. Yes, I get plenty of signal and AEx is in client mode. (I can shut down wi-fi and plug in with my MBP via Ethernet and surf away.)

2. My previous set up was one reason I have been holding back on hi-res digital. That and my LP12! And my DAC. Good to know I can now tap into some hi-res music.

3./4. Great. I suppose it goes without saying that Apple Store purchased music is not compatible with this setup. No big deal. I can use Audio Hijack or something to convert them. All those file are just pop music anyway.

5. Thanks for clarifying on the SonicTransporter. Seems great there are so many niche products for working around set up particulars, but it feels unnecessarily confusing when you're first working it out.

6. I may keep iTunes kicking around for my wife, unless the controller software is just clearly superior.

Hope there isn't anything I've overlooked. Will order a Rendu now!

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Hi - Actually Apple store purchased music should be compatible with this setup. As long as there is no DRM ( digital rights management ) in th purchased music you will be fine.

iTunes should work fine using the microRendu in ShairPort mode.

Graduation time. Just when you thought it was over . . .

So here's my next adventure: I want to ditch my MBP (which holds my music library and minimserver) and place these on an iMac that is attached to my LAN, but sitting in the living room instead of my listening room. Why? Because if I can do that I can eventually hard wire the uR to the network and get the computer out of the listening room.

Here's how I guess it would go:

1) Download minimserver onto the iMac in the other room. (BubbleUPnP resides on the uR itself)

2) Transfer my music files into the Music folder of the part of that computer that I, as the user, preside over. (Or must I put in in the Public folder?)

3) Direct minimserver to those music files on the same computer.

4) Turn on "file sharing" in Sharing (in system preferences of the iMac)

5) Turn on "Wake for Wi-Fi network Access" (in system preferences of the iMac)

6) Turn off minimserver on my MBP

7) Cross my fingers and see if I can get Kazoo or Lumin to see it and play.

What am I forgetting?