IGNORED

Article: Editorial: What's Wrong With You?

24 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Takes only seconds of system playback to hear that his rig is way out of whack - not worth taking seriously ... as good an example as any of how audiophiles lose the plot; if the intention is to connect to the music ...

If he likes his system’s sound that’s all that matters. You’re defining his plot and suggesting he can’t connect to the music unless he follows your plot. 

I don’t understand why you care. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

12 minutes ago, JoshM said:

Chris, I love this editorial because it gets at the often implicit mixing of "objective" analysis with political/moral opinions and economic value judgments. 

It's perfectly reasonable for people to directly compare two pieces of gear, regardless of their relative prices. But one always needs to keep in mind that people value gear differently and have different budgets. We need to take potential interlocutors' monetary means and values into account when rendering opinions. It's weird and unhelpful to proclaim that your $1.5k pair of headphones smokes someone's $100 pair of headphones unless they're claiming otherwise. Without taking budgets/priorities into account, audio comparisons descend into pointless subjective value judgments. 

Likewise, it's easy to import political opinion into discussions of any hobby without realizing it. I completely understand the argument that an expensive pair of headphones or DAC is an extravagance when there are people in the world struggling to eat and make ends meet. (I agree with Rage Against the Machine's politics!) But except for people who live super frugally and donate every extra penny to charity, we're all guilty of indulging wasteful spending. Personally, I think charity is wonderful, but it's no substitute for policy. If someone thinks that we should redistribute money from the rich to the poor, great. I agree and think the government should do more of it! But insofar as people have extra money, they should be free to spend it however they want, including on audiophile jewelry that even other audiophiles might find wasteful. In other words, keep the political/moral judgements where they belong. Don't mix them with audio discussions.

Finally, as the recent Audio Fidelity remasters show, Rage albums can certainly stand up to audiophile scrutiny! 😉

You should be a writer 😁

P.S. I have that Rage version and love every minute of it. One of my ten best albums of all time. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

47 minutes ago, KDinsmore said:

Thanks for the link. 

That editorial is a bit schizophrenic. The first half talks bad about people enjoying their hobbies however they choose. The second half says who cares  if people enjoy their hobbies however they choose. 

Strange indeed. 

2 hours ago, ronfint said:

Jascha Heifetz called it “Hifooey”.

For me, the test is, if I could go back in time, would I lust after great records or fancy tubes?

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

There an be any question?  Great records! :) 

For some people it’s tubes for others it’s tunes and for many it isn’t one or the other.  Either way, who really cares. 

12 minutes ago, Tin said:

But as things are, my setup costs more than my car, and my watch is broken and I can't be bothered about it.

I love it!

It's all about priorities in life. To my family, I am crazy to even look at a speaker cable that isn't sold at Ace Hardware for $10 per roll. However, I think some of them are crazy for paying $600 per round of golf at Pebble Beach. 

• 4 weeks later...