IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

12 hours ago, bos3812 said:

I still have the problem that Roon can't find Stylus. Robert promised me he will look into the changes of the latest Roon update and will come back on it. Am I the only one or are there more Euphony V4 users with this problem? I also have a streamer with V3. This streamer doesn't have this problem. The question is if it is software related or didn't the installation of V4 go completely well?

5 hours ago, Tatang said:

I have same problem as yours. Still cannot connect Roon to euphony, Roon sees euphony but can not connect. Thats why i migrate to stylus at the moment, which i experienced the uplift in SQ but Roon interface is much more user friendly. Please update me if Robert already fixed this Roon integration. Thanks

I have no issues playing the Roon + StylusEP option. This is the Roon inside Euphony not from outside. First time running it, took a long time for Roon to update but eventually succeeded. Thereafter, no issues. Sounds terrible but works fine for me.

Normally I run Roon outside my streamer in a separate system but point it to the same database as Euphony. This is not for playback, only for file discovery so I can find info on albums/performers etc. and also see what I have in my joint Local/Tidal/Qobuz database. I then return to Euphony to play the files. A little cumbersome but works well especially for the case when I find the online version of the album I want to hear in Roon and add it from there, it appears in Euphony as the top album (sort by last added).

I control my playback on an iPad with both Euphony (primary playback system) and Roon (info only second system) showing at the same time to get best of both worlds.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Smaragdhk said:

I would like to keep cho the same findings with reboot process, I also follow same process @flkin mentions above to get consistent sound.

after each reboot I almost always get the same nagging error requesting to restart the app again… anyone else has this too?

773E2A6D-09DF-4FBF-963B-39E628DA08C9.jpeg

Yup I used to get that too from time to time. Also errors relating to connection to internet.

But (power chord remove reboot + Stylus restart after) seems to have solved that. For how long, I don't know yet.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, PavelDosko said:

Someone here asked a while ago about comparing the SQ Euphony V4 with another solution. Also because I am dissatisfied with the way Euphony treated existing V3 customers, I tried the JCAT solution, namely Windows Server 2019 + JPLAY Femto. In my setup SQ JPLAY the Femto test version outperformed the V4 in terms of detail in music, tone decay, front-rear space, and overall analog sound. A lifetime license of JPLAY Femto with further innovations costs 150 Euro.

Did you do any optimisation to the WinSer19? Or just used it as is?

• 4 weeks later...

In Euphony v4 you can upsample using HQP or Euphony’s own upsampler. The latter is easier for sure but I didn’t get the same results. 

I’ve described the HQP way in the post above - the main difference in v4 is the config page of HQP has to be opened as a separate web page by pressing the HQPlayer Web UI button. And this is only possible when trying from a webpage version of Euphony (Euphony.local). 

But if you just wanted to launch HQP without making any setting changes, just switch to and select HQP as the output device. This is only possible if the DAC is connected and on. 

Not as easy as in v3 for sure. 😅

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up about using HQPe in Euphony.

After a season of music and switching off the DAC/Pre/Power, the CPU usage shown in Euphony drops to low as expected. However for my AMP CPU (8 cores) a single core unexpectedly jumps to 100% usage after a few hours and stays at 100%. The issue is simple to resolve - the usage can be stopped by restarting, rebooting or switching Audio Systems.

My installation of Euphony is with Linux kernel 5.11 with HQPe 4.30.3.

But it's easy not to notice this and overnight a single core in the CPU might become overstressed and overheated. At the very least, its lifetime shortened. So anyone using HQPe inside Euphony should be informed and take the necessary precautions. As a preventative measure, I have chosen to switch audio systems after each use and switch back to HQPe at the start of a session. After checking my logs, Željko has noted the issue and suggests it's to do with the 4.30.3 HQPe version. His planned solution is to find time to update to a later HQPe version.

Another suggested solution by Z:

"Stop command for HQplayer - you have to hold CTRL (or SHIFT) when you click Play/Pause button in Euphony - then instead of sending 'pause' command to hqplayer Euphony will send 'stop' command - which should in theory prevent hqplayer from any latent background processing." This is only possible for those controlling Euphony from a computer.

In the meantime just be aware of this issue.

3 hours ago, di-fi said:

Hi @flkin,

I did not mind reading your complete audio setup in your profile and I only quote the very first line above (so yes I made it through the end 👂and it was worth it!).
I try to get the whole picture of your hardware setup WITH the music(files).
The whole audio setup seems isolated except for one wifi connection. I suppose you exclusively listen to local files to exploit the Euphony buffering. But where do these files come from? SSD in the PF server? 

My question:

For music listening I understand you do not use any switch of any type to isolate your listening room because you isolate with wifi. But did you ever try if any type of Buffalo, Etherregen and so on as discussed here (many reviews) did have any effect on your listening experience, maybe before using wifi? And with a super steady wifi connection nothing can beat it (fiber)? But does this wifi connection only serve the second setup for exploring and exclusively the first setup to connect with a tablet to the Euphony server?

Just trying to understand the music flow in your setup and the relation or benefit of isolation through the only wifi connection. A short answer or link (if you posted earlier) will do.
Always a pleasure to read your experiences.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul @di-fi

Not so sophisticated actually, I built my hifi room without a LAN wall socket when I was using CD playback and so had no choice but to use the WiFi method! Haha 😆 But turned out that using WiFi would be my preferred method of connection anyway for isolation reasons.

In my earliest experiments with ethernet connection I had my Orbi wifi router connected to a complex network of reclocked devices including a SOtM DSG105 switch w/clock mod. This was their early switch attempt prior to their current sNH-10G. I found the reclocked switch helped a bit. At that time I was using the SOtM sMS-200 as the NAA. Later I moved to a reclocked EtherRegen feeding my Pink Faun 2.16x but I was one of the rare people that found it didn’t help my system making it more detailed but at the same time harder sounding.

Now my LAN system is a WiFi Orbi (powered by SOtM sPS-500 into a 5A Stammhein HPULN through a 16 strand PoE cable of my own design) direct to the Pink Faun streamer via the SOtM dCBL-CAT7, iSO-CAT6, dCBL-CAT7 LAN cable set. I’m pretty sure this isolates my system sufficiently to make the LAN connection sound the same as local files (separately powered internal SSD). 

Reason for this is that Euphony buffers streamed files as well as local files. Both Tidal and Qobuz up to 2 files in advance. So the playback is effectively bit perfect local from RAM. I haven’t tried again with v4 but when using Euphony v3, I couldn’t tell the difference when I disconnected the LAN cable from my Pink Faun during streaming or local playback indicating that the cable wasn’t causing any issues (leakage currents or otherwise) that I could hear. So there wasn’t any need to try to do further isolation. 

I wrote about this here in a long winded, rambling post. My Euphony buffering observations are at the end.

Hey Paul  @di-fi

I’m not sure if Euphony v4 still buffers 2 tracks of streaming files as over time. I’ve noticed that Qobuz files take longer to play or skip. I suppose it’s time to test again. I’m pretty sure HQPe through Euphony doesn’t buffer total files, more like only 2-3 seconds or so from the way my hardware drive access led blinks. I once asked Z about letting HQPe have access to the buffered track for skip ahead and good sound reasons but he said he’d rather let HQPe do it’s own buffering. Jussi has the opinion that a large buffering is not good and might even affect smooth wifi access on other devices in the home and prefers to use a trickle method. Personally I’m not convinced a full download of small track sizes will affect the rest of the home at all. 

The hardware stuff I’ll reply privately as it’s getting off target. 

On 11/3/2022 at 3:42 PM, Yiakubou said:

I've also settled with HQP running on Euphony (kernel 5.18) as I've found it slightly better than having HQP on Jussi's image. Then I've also settled for some time with filters that are quite old (poly-sinc-ext2 and NS4 for PCM) - I know this is DAC dependent, but I've been using these filters over 2 very different DACs. Only recently I got DAC with AK chip that can do DSD bypass, started using HQP's DSD modulators and that sounds best to me now.

And yeah, if using HQP, I wouldn't mess with buffering, core isolations or whatever other expert settings. Let HQP handle it on its own...

Your findings are similar to mine. I’m finding the 5.18 kernel works best, and the ext2 and NS4 filters do sound amongst the best settings. In my own AKM system, my favourite PCM settings are with even simpler filters - IIR with TPDF. But there’s a little trick to make it all come together. The AKM is a 32bit chip but it sounds better with soundstage closer and larger when forced to use 24bit. And upsampled only to 192 max. I’m still keeping PCM files and DSD files separate. For DSD, I like settings of FIR, WIDE and the ASDM7EC modulator combo upsampled to DSD128.

HQP has a high number of settings and to find an optimal combo is so difficult. I’ve spend years looking! But in general, I’m getting the most analogue sounds when using the less advanced settings. If you value organic sound over detailed precise sounds the above is where you can start. Then fine tune from there.

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Yiakubou said:

.. I've found out after some time that I get the best sound just using Euphony Stylus / Stylus EP in bit-perfect mode via USB direct to DAC. After so much time playing with HQP and deliberating which filter combo sounds best lol! On the other hand it's a kind of relief as I don't need to be neurotic about HQP filter settings anymore.

Coincidently, I have found the exact thing too! After spending countless hours fussing over HQPe settings, I also have found Stylus with 5.11 kernel sounding best in my PF. The options offered in HQP is a strong distraction for those of us that love optimising. I'm enjoying music more without it.

Did Zeljko make some background changes to the kernels without informing us? I could swear it sounds better now that it did before.

So back to the bit-perfect cycle, no more upsampling .... for a while anyway