IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

I was able to complete the image burn onto the USB drive. 
it took some persistence, in the downloader I hit go again and it had told me that I had already downloaded the image did I want to continue, I said yes and it burned the image.

however, I have a ASUS ROG Crosshair hero VII, it was built for me by one of our DIY Heroes. 
I have not been able to book from the USB drive.

I restarted the server with the USB drive plugged into one of the four corners of the six USB 3.1 inputs.

this motherboard does not have an HDMI input or the old blue multi pin input. 
I am not sure how to interface to make sure it is set up for USB or UEIF boot. 
Does anybody have a clue how I hook up a monitor

4 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

it took some persistence, in the downloader I hit go again and it had told me that I had already downloaded the image did I want to continue, I said yes and it burned the image.

however, I have a ASUS ROG Crosshair hero VII, it was built for me by one of our DIY Heroes. 

I restarted the server with the USB drive plugged into one of the four corners of the six USB 3.1 inputs.

Hi Bill, sorry to see you have having issues updating the Euphony software to v4.

Reach out the DIY fellow that built your server perhaps? Installing v4 requires a USB drive, cant be done from v3. Since you don't seem to have access to a monitor easily, that DIY fellow will have to find a way to access the BIOS and switch the boot sequence to the USB drive. I'm surprised that your unit didn't come with a video card if the motherboard doesn't have video outputs.

Once you have booted up from the USB drive, you'll have to register the software to make the installation into internal drive menu appear. You should have received an email about upgrading to v4, the link to pay and get the registration code is in that email. If you don't register, the installation menu is hidden. Also be careful to select to "repair" not "install". This means your existing v3 settings - image cache, playlists etc. will be maintained and not lost. There is a drop down list of where you want to install the v4 during the process, so if you aren't sure how to do this, get help from your DIY fellow.

Once all is done and working, update the v4 to the latest version. Unfortunately there is a big bug in the 20220708 (the latest v4 from USB) which stops updates. Easily fixed by going to Settings/System/Expert Settings/Update Channel and pressing "Save".

Sounds like a lot of work but v4 is so much better sounding it's worth the effort to try. Good luck!

5 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

Let me ask you this first, what chip is on your Dark hero? If it does not have integrated graphics, you're going to have a hard time because without it, the video outputs on the back of the motherboard will not work and you'll be unable to get into the BIOS to set the thing to boot from USB.

edit: If your Hero 7 is like my Dark Hero 8, then I just checked and you're right, it has no video outputs. You're going to need a GPU of some sort.

No electron left behind.

4 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Any UPNP compatibile sw, like RoPieeeXL with UPNP/DLNA enabled.

I did tried it and it worked fine, moOde, Volumio or GentooPlayer should work too

Thanks, I'll give those a try tomorrow. 

edit: Other than Ropiee, are the other 3 Players and not endpoints? Am I missing something in my quick googling?

No electron left behind.

10 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

I've same config as You are, but for such reasons and for some monitoring sometimes I've a graphic card (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073GF2CL6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1) that I'm connecting when need to attach monitor.

I think its possible even get some used one.

Is there a chance that it did not burn onto the USB drive correctly?

I used an IBM/Windows laptop that I keep around for burning Euphony/Audiolinux onto USB drives. (My other computers are Mac) When I ejected the USB drive, there was a message asking if I wanted to format the USB drive. I ignored it because Euphony is Linux and I assumed that the laptop could not read the USB drive.

The USB drive is a brand new Samsung 3.1, One of the good solid metal ones. I did not format it because I assumed that the downloader would do that before it wrote the image?

would there be any harm or something I would need to do to try to use the downloader to write the image to the same drive?  

I don’t think that I can insert the drive into one of my other computers to verify what is written on it, because the format should currently be Linux and the other computers would not be able to read it?

22 minutes ago, drjimwillie said:

Is there a chance that it did not burn onto the USB drive correctly?

Yes, I have burned USB image using Balena Etcher, but it was corrupted. I had to repair partitions under Linux with command. Then it worked. 

sgdisk -e /dev/sda

If I use the downloader and try to burn the image to that same USB drive, do you think that might work?

The only computer I have running Linux is my server with Euphony V3. 

how do I get to the command line so that I can run that command and how do I make sure that it goes to the correct drive and does not mess with my M.2 or PCIE drives?

thank you 

2 minutes ago, drjimwillie said:

how do I get to the command line so that I can run that command and how do I make sure that it goes to the correct drive and does not mess with my M.2 or PCIE drives?

Open Terminal in Mac os

ssh audiouser@IP_address

pass: euphony

lsblk shows all connected devices

sgdisk

But I don't know, if there is some command limitations from Euphony. Alternatively you can download f.e. Ubuntu, boot live from one USB and use second USB with Euphony, which you can repair.

6 hours ago, Tokyokyoto said:

Where did you get this information from?

From Euphony. Here is the actual response as I am building a new server and wanted to be sure before I upgraded to v4, which I now may not. I am going to ask them about v4 teansferability now and will let you know. 

"If you have stylus 3 license, you can install promotional Stylus 4 only on this hardware where previously  Stylus 3 is registered." 

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

Od Euphony. Zde je skutečná odpověď, když stavím nový server a chtěl jsem si být jistý, než upgraduji na v4, což teď možná nebudu. Nyní se jich zeptám na možnost Teansferability v4 a dám vám vědět. 

"Pokud máte licenci stylusu 3, můžete instalovat propagační stylus 4 pouze na tento hardware, kde je dříve registrován stylus 3." 

I have already written about Euphony's disrespect for existing customers ... does it really seem normal to you?

The v4 upgrade offer is linked to your v3 licence, which is linked to your HW fingerprint. If you want to use the upgrade offer on a different HW fingerprint, just create a ticket to have your v3 licence transferred to a new target HW fingerprint first, and then use your offer. What's disrespectful about this?

I weakened and took advantage if the upgrade offer as a birthday present to myself (and ensuring an easy choice of present for the foreseeable). However, the registration had gone through, the program sees my codes etc but the date of expiry is undefined. So it still thinks it is a trial. Ticket in and I'll see what is going on. However it won't be an evening of uninterrupted music.

1 hour ago, Helmut said:

So, you first let the guys (via ticket) transfer your Vers. 3 onto the new platform. Then you can update to Vers.4 on this PC.

That is how I did it.

9 minutes ago, Yiakubou said:

The v4 upgrade offer is linked to your v3 licence, which is linked to your HW fingerprint. If you want to use the upgrade offer on a different HW fingerprint, just create a ticket to have your v3 licence transferred to a new target HW fingerprint first, and then use your offer. What's disrespectful about this?

This wasn't shared with me by Euphony, but since you've done it I will ask for the same.  Thanks for the info!

I received this information from Euphony-Audio this morning, after unsuccessfully attempting to put V4 onto Euphony PTS Music Server ......

You should also understand that current v4 image is not yet Summus-ready - we plan to have a Summus-ready version sometime after summer.

We will also release v3 update which will offer you v4 upgrade without need to involve USB at all.
If you insist on having v4 right now you have to deal with all this USB stuff somehow...

So, support as quick off the mark as ever and have fixed the registration issue. I don't know what it was, but it works.

Now installed to the internal M2, the harshness I was getting has gone and I'm pretty happy with the sq. The ethernet isolation, which was so effective with v3, has not functioned with any of the v4 versions I have tried. When support is a little less busy with migrations I will put in a ticket.