IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

6 minutes ago, al2813 said:

Have you compared this with Stylus?

I tried Stylus one year ago and I found it not so different from Daphile.

Anyway the library management is for me a key feature and Minimserver is, in my opinion, the best available. Keep in mind that I have more than 11k albums and most of them are classical and my library is fully tagged, Stylus or Daphile or HQPlayer alone cannot compete with Minimserver solution.

12 minutes ago, al2813 said:

to use Hqplayer as renderer and not player. 

… cannot understand, could you elaborate?

Stefano

My audio system

that article is awesome and actually one answer to my before question how to combine both streaming and local content using HQPlayer.

But it involves some additional investment and setup efforts but the result described is actually exactly what I am looking for.

Wondering though how big is the sonic difference compared to Roon as the control software to justify the investments

1 hour ago, FooFighter said:

that article is awesome and actually one answer to my before question how to combine both streaming and local content using HQPlayer.

But it involves some additional investment and setup efforts but the result described is actually exactly what I am looking for.

Wondering though how big is the sonic difference compared to Roon as the control software to justify the investments

I will test and report back. I have an extra SSD I can plug into my server. Am reading the article. 

3 hours ago, al2813 said:

Understood - it confirms I still need 2 machines which I am trying to avoid.....

Have you compared this with Stylus? Also interested in your choice to use Hqplayer as renderer and not player. 

Ifi zenstream is a brilltian 1 box solution. I used it with a Euphony frontend but when I heard its Tidal Exclusive mode I am blown away. I now play Tidal exclusively.

36 minutes ago, Lukasluis said:

Ifi zenstream is a brilltian 1 box solution. I used it with a Euphony frontend but when I heard its Tidal Exclusive mode I am blown away. I now play Tidal exclusively.

Euphony front end - you mean UPNP renderer? 

I am a die hard Qobuz user.......and especially suspicious with MQA

6 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Music archive is on a LaCie 8TB usb external hdd

MinimServer2 (Full license with MinimStreamer) and Bubbleupnpserver run on Intel Nuc8i3/16GB ram/Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS

Lumin app on iPhone/iPad 

HQPlayer Embedded runs (for now) on Intel Nuc10i3/16GB ram, it boots from usb stick.

HQP NAA runs on:

- raspberry pi4/4GB ram using RoPieeeXL 

- SOtM sMS200 Neo

I seem to be missing a step, I don't see my HQPe server as an available renderer in Bubble UPNP?

Sonos and Sony 4k player do show

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

6 minutes ago, davide256 said:

seem to be missing a step, I don't see my HQPe server as an available renderer in Bubble UPNP?

Is Bubbleupnp the app? 
I’m on iOS and I use Bubbleupnpserver to give OpenHome compatibility to the renderer (HQPe), I was assuming that Bubbleupnp (it is available on iOS ) could discover it without Bubbleupnpserver, try to install and configure Bubbleupnpserver 

https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/

Stefano

My audio system

Just now, stefano_mbp said:

Is Bubbleupnp the app? 
I’m on iOS and I use Bubbleupnpserver to give OpenHome compatibility to the renderer (HQPe), I was assuming that Bubbleupnp (it is available on iOS ) could discover it without Bubbleupnpserver, try to install and configure Bubbleupnpserver 

https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/

using the bubble upnpserver app +minimserver2 on synology NAS.

Was using HQPe under Euphony, using native HQPe OS boot stick is working.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

21 minutes ago, Lukasluis said:

If you insist on HQPlayer, the best sound I experienced is with when using the Apple M1 chip. Intel or AMD chips lack the spark (life) of an M1-processed music file. Of course no processing nor upsampling is better than a raw file. 😁 Go native! 

So you say, HQPlayer Server is working best on M1?

Then there's no need for me to update with my Mac Mini M1 😉

As this is an Euphony thread I was seeking information about alternatives and especially how these sound in contrast to the "standard consumer" non embedded solutions.

I am currently running 2 parallel endpoints to my DAC (USB and SPDIF) not thinking one is sounding specifically better but different enough to switch between NAA, Roon native, UPNP (Audirvana) and Tidal Connect.

Am currently trying to decide if I really need the UP Gateway NAA with up to 1,5Mhz streaming capability or just stick with one Zen Stream (which I d need to run in general purpose mode with my wish  to switch between all mentioned services)

Zen stream arrived today. UPNP to minimserver running on my NAS it sounds with a bit more resolution and depth then my Euphony stylus used as endpoint. Have not put the amounts some other people did here on Thierry audio servers, but it is a machine powered by an hdplex 300w (dc in to a low powered jetway motherboard) and a separately powered by a custom 5w lps JCAT FEMTO card. The IFI is also powered currently by the HDPlex, but I have a better lps coming next week. 

running it as UPNP renderer to Stylus player sounds practically the same, and would even say that UPNP to the minimserver on the NAS is slightly better…

I’ll try to get HQP to the mix. Running it as a Roon bridge is not an option either. Sound is inferior to the options described earlier. 

5 hours ago, al2813 said:

Zen stream arrived today. UPNP to minimserver running on my NAS it sounds with a bit more resolution and depth then my Euphony stylus used as endpoint. Have not put the amounts some other people did here on Thierry audio servers, but it is a machine powered by an hdplex 300w (dc in to a low powered jetway motherboard) and a separately powered by a custom 5w lps JCAT FEMTO card. The IFI is also powered currently by the HDPlex, but I have a better lps coming next week. 

running it as UPNP renderer to Stylus player sounds practically the same, and would even say that UPNP to the minimserver on the NAS is slightly better…

I’ll try to get HQP to the mix. Running it as a Roon bridge is not an option either. Sound is inferior to the options described earlier. 

Probably need to say what DAC you are using as that influences results

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

3 hours ago, davide256 said:

Probably need to say what DAC you are using as that influences results

you’re probably right. I am using an IFI zen one signature DAC with a custom made LPS (that cost me much more then the DAC itself). This DAC resulted in the sale of my MHDT Orchid that was my main DAC for almost one year. Audio Note Meishu amplifier and Audio Note AN-E speakers complete the stack. 

In my recent experience using Euphony with not so exotic a DAC or gear, if I were using a passive pre with Chord Mojo I preferred USB to DAC  with PGGB or

HQP up sampling as this was  revealing for instrument lines, analogous to switching from an artist that drew with a loose free hand style to one

that drew with meticulous precision.

- Switching to an Ares II DAC changed the picture composition somewhat, the lines became a little more softened but with better tone color rendering.

- Changing the passive pre to tubed LTA MZ2 added a greater sense of dimension, solidity to instruments, started to become a six of one, half a dozen

of the other argument comparing HQP output  to Stylus output; HQP was more precise but seemed robbed of life in comparison to Stylus, Stylus was vibrant

but could more easily irritate with edgy harmonics.

- Adding an Iris DDC sharpened the detail focus of native rates but sounded thinner for tone color with the Ares II and with the Mojo there wasn't a significant

difference from using the  direct USB input on a Chord Mojo at 7xx rates

Adding an SRC-DX DDC was intended to take me further down the path of Chord upgrade and HQP/PGGB; Chord Dave users were recommending it as

the best input for 7xx up-sampled files. While limited to 3xx on a Mojo it was audibly better than its USB input, a cleaner sound with more tone color.

Had sold the Ares II by this point so I decided to compare using a Metrum Octave I with SRC-DX.  Hugely different result, while the Octave doesn't do Durer level

of  instrument outlines, and has a max rate of 192/24,  the combination of a tube pre section + NOS DAC + SRC-DX gave a lovely authentic reproduction of tone

colors and vibrancy using  Stylus output vs HQP output. So my preferred listening at this time is native rate via Stylus. And instead of Chord, a NOS DAC upgrade

like Holo Spring is where I am next headed. Am curious as to whether direct USB in is a bad idea, or if the outcome using the SRC-DX in my setup was just

serendipity.

Roon continues to frustrate regardless of output used, a polished performer with no passion.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

7 hours ago, al2813 said:

you’re probably right. I am using an IFI zen one signature DAC with a custom made LPS (that cost me much more then the DAC itself). This DAC resulted in the sale of my MHDT Orchid that was my main DAC for almost one year. Audio Note Meishu amplifier and Audio Note AN-E speakers complete the stack. 

Off topic but like your setup, tubed 8 watts of class A into a Zu/Devore like speaker design has to be sweet for transients and tone color

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

As I woulfpd really like to keep Stylus, I did some more testing and I think I have a winning combo in my system. Stylus player on my server and IFI zen stream as upnp renderer. The key improvement is that I replaced my library location from my NAS (located downstairs in my “dirty” part of my LAN) to an SSD which I power using an adapter from hdplex lps on 12v and connected over usb to my stylus box. This improves a lot SQ and so far giving me the best results. I tried Roon as I am so desperate to have the gui but again Roon (zen stream acting as bridge) is flat and totally lack emotion. I’ve pretty much given up on Roon…..

On 1/29/2022 at 4:56 PM, Smaragdhk said:

While we’re at it… here’s a feature request for V4 (wishful thinking 🤔)

The ability to read DSD ISO images…

As far as I know, File Manager can extract songs from SACD ISO files but yes, Stylus cannot play them directly.