IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

11 minutes ago, kravi4ka said:

Dear Arthur,

You are most welcome! Euphony gives us hope that we have found a good sounding, stable and easy to use OS.

I sent a question through the site if Firewire cards work with Euphony but never got a reply, any one tried it?

I don't think firewire audio interfaces have been tested. Arch Linux does have support for many firewire audio devices so there is a good chance it should work. 

Member of the Trade: Power Holdings Inc

On 3/20/2019 at 5:19 PM, BigAlMc said:

I was wondering the same.

@ArthurPower Great to see you join this discussion and I look forward to your input.

Leaving aside the cost of Euphony licences and the relative value/expense in this hobby, here's the question that's been bouncing around my restless mind.

For Audiolinux NUC server and endpoint combos the general consensus has seemed to be that the endpoint contributes 80-60% of the SQ improvements (largely because it's closest to the DAC) and the server contributes 20-40% of the SQ improvement.

So if I was to only buy one Euphony licence then it seems intuitive that it would be better for SQ to use it on the endpoint rather than the server.

In your opinion is my logic missing anything here?

Also given Euphony is essentially server software that will work as an endpoint are there any compelling arguments for ensuring the server and endpoint both run on Euphony?

Finally, in the Euphony universe do your users seem to agree with the 80-60 endpoint and 20-40 server contributions that I've quoted above.

Many Thanks,

Alan

PS as someone that works in software development (non audio alas) I totally get the argument that better support costs more. Just saying I'm not being critical of the costs. I'm simply trying to assess the options here.

I think Euphony is about 80% of the SQ improvement. We have never recommended that anyone use Euphony on a two computer based playback system, but some customers just like the idea and implemented it that way in their setup. When you're streaming over a network there are a lot more variables to consider. From cabling, the router, the power supply for the router, and the computer that is streaming the audio. So the OS on the streaming server can make a difference, but I think you need to consider all the pro's and con's of having a two computer based playback system. Any Linux distro on the server is going to be better then windows. :)

• 2 years later...
On 11/15/2021 at 2:48 PM, louawalters said:

Hi Guys,

Haven't seen an update to Euphony OS since 07/16/21 - does anyone know if there is still development going on?   Not that I have had any issues, Euphony is awesome-sauce.   Hopefully all is good with the developer - I am going to assume they are working on v4... but haven't read anything official...

Just checking.

Lou

There is always development going on. Since there are no real issues at the moment yes they have been working on V4. Stay tuned...

• 7 months later...

"Why was there no advanced notice about this change in licensing?"

They only recently made this decision to go to a subscription model. Originally the version 4 upgrade was going to be like version 3. So now they're still trying to figure out all the details to make this transition. In the meantime everyone is panicking and complaining. Give them a chance to figure this all out so it's a fair an easy transition for existing customers. 

They surely are not the first company to transition from a perpetual license to a subscription model. I wasn't thrilled when I heard about it, but I do understand why they feel they need to do this to move forward. What they should have done is waited until all the details were ironed out before announcing this licensing change. Please be patient for a few days until they make an official announcement. 

3 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

I did not beta V4, V3 is working well and I did not want to mess with it.

The one area that I think could use improvement are all of the pick boxes where you Interface with the software. I have a 10 inch tablet, but every place I have to pick is very small.

Also the box where you enter the information is not long enough, if you have a track that is very long, it is bigger than the box, so you cannot see the full entry and it is hard to edit. 

that is what I would like to see in a new release. Is the new software easier to use?

Did you try using the app?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The latest version of Euphony now contains the 'Summus mode' with all of its optimizations. However, if you are doing a clean install on a Summus (first or second gen) the 'Summus mode' has to be enabled. You will need to contact Euphony support to help you with this.