IGNORED

New OSX Opensource audiophile player : Audirvana

damien78

Audirvana is an opensource project for an audiophile player for OSX.

I've started this project for the fun of getting my hands in this domain and try to get more knowledge of the sources of sound quality.

You can download it from http://audirvana.googlecode.com

Any comments, and contributions are welcome!

* Native playing of FLAC, libSndFile (WAV, AIFF, ...), ALAC and other quicktime formats (AAC, MP3, ...)

* Direct sound path, directly to the CoreAudio HAL for pure bit perfect sound

* Audio Device exclusive access mode

* HAL I/O using DAC native physical formats "Integer Mode" (instead of CoreAudio 32bit float)

* Automatic sample rate switching

* Up/Oversampling capability

* Plays completely from memory

** Tracks are loaded, decoded and sample rate converted in a memory buffer before being played

** Minimizing CPU and hard drive activity to lessen sources of interference

* Gapless playback by using a double buffering mechanism (playing track and next track)

* Transparent split load for loading tracks of any size

* Background tracks loading/decoding (including sample rate conversion)

* Playlist (m3u & m3u8 formats) load/save

* Handles Apple IR Remote

* Automated updates downloading (using Sparkle)

Currently works on 10.6 Intel Macs with any CoreAudio compatible DAC

This is still a beta release for this opensource project in active development.

Here is a tentative TODO list, and as I have a life outside this project any contribution is welcome:

* Dithering implementation, with tests on 16bit files improvement

* Tracks library with iTunes database access and folders crawling (mainly for FLAC)

* Remote control (through UPnP control point?)

* And bug fixes...

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Has anyone compared this to Ayrewave, Amarra or Pure Music? I am curious, but cannot try the program yet as I need to update to 10.6 on my present system. Off to Amazon it is...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

"Currently works on 10.6 Intel Macs with any CoreAudio compatible DAC". Does this mean that it will work with something like the Hiface EVO?

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Encore: It should work as Hiface EVO is CoreAudio compatible (= has drivers for the Mac). But I don't have one to confirm.

Anyway, just try by yourself!

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get around to trying my Mac as a replacement for my netbook ...

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

In the playlist window (currently titled untitled until I implement the load/save mechanism), you either click on the '+' button that raises a file open dialog, or you drag & drop from the finder or itunes. And then click on play.

Thanks!

On the TODO list... Will also include playlist (m3u & xspf formats) loading from command line, or dbl click in Finder.

But highest priority is using Grand Central Dispatch to get the load operations perform in the background and not delay playback start.

Looks very interesting, thank you for the hard work.

Joe

PS Audio BHK 300 Signature Mono Amplifiers, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Pass Labs XA60.8 monos, Accuphase A-36, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Jolida Fusion 3502, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, Nord One UP NC500MB monos, Lumin S1, Carver VTA20S, Manley Steelhead, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8.

I like the sound, accuracy is a little above Ayrewave, good tight bass, extreme treble is great (high hat). Brushes on snare drum are difficult to reproduce, Audivarna does well to nail this, not 100% but for a beta player of considerable merit. Soundstage is wide, far better than Ayrewave which can be flat.

I don't mind the lack of volume control, prefer it and will use analog in amplifier as usual.

Pure Music can go that step furhter in comparison, Audivarna can't be dismissed on this first round. Very nice sounding player indeed!

There's a lot to do, for sure, but I would encourage the developer to keep going, to play FLAC and Apple lossless in one player is a big plus for me, without the draconian software locks from another mob.

Suggestions:

- Add FF & FR buttons to fill in the player graphic

- fix the 4s lag for the sample rate converter (on the list, OK)

- What's the "CPU OVER" Alarm? i5 has plenty of processors :)Activity monitor reports just 1.7% of duty.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Joe: thanks for the proposal!

First way is to find bugs and a way to easily reproduce them. In this case you can even use the bug tracker in google code (issues tab).

Second if you have Obj-C coding expertise is to propose to take one of the TODO list items (UPnP experts are welcome...)

Third if you have audio algorithm expertise, I'm always interested in innovative proposals to implement. That was one of my initial goals when I started this project.

One of them is to get a very good noise shaping dithering algo to implement not too destructive dithering volume control.

Other ideas in 16/44.1 improvement are welcome.

Damien

One and a half:"CPU over" alarm is mainly used for debugging purposes.

It is triggered by CoreAudio HAL that indicates the reading callback that fills the driver buffer has taken too long time.

Most of the time it means missed samples, and that glitch should be audible.

When are you getting this alarm ? What occurence ? Is it when switching track? With or without sample rate change ?

Any detail you may have will be very useful.

Adding FF & RW buttons, though redundant with the slider can be nice and is very easy to implement, the longest part is drawing the buttons :) BTW, what increment? 10s as for the Apple remote buttons ?

SteveS1: I'll look into this iTunes drag&drop, should be "fixable"

Thanks for your efforts. I use an older mac 10.5 (non intel) cpu and a M2tech Hi-Face. Will I be able to use your application?

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

An opensource audiophile player for Mac... nice! This type of initiative makes me start to think of getting a Mac someday.

Until then this was unthikable due to the locked nature of all things Apple.

Huge congratulations for doing this. I hope you find lots of developers to help you.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

When I compiled it (from yesterday's svn), I got a lot of warnings saying that there were implicit conversions that resulted in some variables getting 32-bit instead of 64-bit namespaces.

If you link to static libs, you have to upgrade every time there is a bug-fix in one of those libs. Wouldn't it be advantageous to link dynamic libs?

Also, if you want it to be a fink package, I could do that (I might need a bit of help at some point).

I can't get this application to open, it crashes immediately. Any suggestions?

Added: It works fine on my work MBP but not on the Mini that I use as a server. Here's part of the crash message I get:

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Application Specific Information:

abort() called

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[__NSPlaceholderDictionary initWithObjects:forKeys:]: number of objects (0) not equal to number of keys (3)'

*** Call stack at first throw:

(

0 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff880dacc4 __exceptionPreprocess + 180

1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff886260f3 objc_exception_throw + 45

2 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff880a40d7 -[NSDictionary initWithObjects:forKeys:] + 215

3 Audirvana 0x0000000100006384 -[AppController setVolumeControl:] + 337

4 Audirvana 0x000000010000dfa0 -[AudioOutput selectDevice:] + 1069

5 Audirvana 0x0000000100007836 -[AppController awakeFromNib] + 355

6 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff8808947d -[NSSet makeObjectsPerformSelector:] + 205

7 AppKit 0x00007fff871f8aa3 -[NSIBObjectData nibInstantiateWithOwner:topLevelObjects:] + 1445

8 AppKit 0x00007fff871f6cd9 loadNib + 226

9 AppKit 0x00007fff871f61e9 +[NSBundle(NSNibLoading) _loadNibFile:nameTable:withZone:ownerBundle:] + 248

10 AppKit 0x00007fff871f6021 +[NSBundle(NSNibLoading) loadNibNamed:owner:] + 326

11 AppKit 0x00007fff871f35a3 NSApplicationMain + 279

12 Audirvana 0x0000000100004aa8 start + 52

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil