IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

We started shipping, it will take a while to catch up with backorder. We are very excited to see (hear) customers reaction. Firmware, will be continuously improved for a while and new functions added as we get feedback. For functionality, signal flow etc. pls see the manual draft posted here:

http://www.mytekdigital.com/download_library/Stereo192-DSD_DAC_manual_v0.8b_Draft.pdf

Michal , Mytek New York

... that the waiting time is (almost) over :-)

But I would like to add some additional questions to the ones asked above:

How is the "Volume Trim" function implemented?

If I would like to bypass the analogue volume control, could that function be used to adjust the (maximum) outputlevel to match the input/level requirements for my powered monitor-speakers?

If yes, that would come very handy!

How is the clocking done if used with USB/FireWire playback.

Does it adjust the samplerate according to the incoming stream automatically? (I tend to assume the answer is "yes", ...)

What function does the Dice/JettPLL (TCElectronics) chip have if used with USB?

Is it used as a reclocker?

(because if thats the case, the unit would not work as a "real" USB asynchronous device)

Looking forward for one to try it for myself, but it would be nice to get some things clarified before ... ;-)

Thnanks in advance!

Cheers

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

• 2 weeks later...

I think they are too busy supplying kit to communicate!. This DAC has created a lot of interest worldwide. Mine was ordered online on August 2nd and according to Michal Jurewicz, four hours ago or so, "yours either just shipped or is about too within next couple of days". The [email protected] email address on your sales receipt is non functional. Use the web contact form on the .com website.

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

Ted, as you know I have the Playback Designs, and in order to play native DSD on this DAC you need a Mac USB driver implemented by the DAC manufacturer.

This driver allows DSD native playback on Audirvana Plus and Pure Music.

Audiozorro, after I begin to play native DSD files (about a month ago), I have a mixed bag regarding SQ of DSD versus DXD. I think it depends on the source of the original recording, for example:

DSD from Blue Coast Records, where the source is 2" analogue master tape.

WAVE 24/352.8 from 2L, where the source is the same as the DL, DXD.

My favorite is DSD, even if the files I have are only DSD 64, I can't find anything on DSD 128. There was some some on 2L, but not anymore.

But maybe my ears are biassed to analogue, and those DSD from Blue Coast comes from analogue, and sound (to my ears) as analogue.

When I made some conversion from 24/192 or 24/176 to DSD 64 with Korg AudioGate, I prefer the PCM sound output.

Roch

"When I made some conversion from 24/192 or 24/176 to DSD 64 with Korg AudioGate, I prefer the PCM sound output."

I don't think you can convert from 24/192 or 24/176.4 PCM to DSD64 using the Audiogate software. Audiogate allows you to convert from DSD64 or DSD128 to any of the typical PCM resolutions such as 24/176.4. Audiogate also allows you to convert to and from any of the PCM resolutions to another PCM resolution.

any value in convert 24/176.4 or 24/192 PCM to DSD64. Converting DSD64 or DSD128 to 24/176.4 PCM makes sense since it allows everyone to play DSD files without a DSD DAC.

So perhaps I should have said I don't think you should rather than I don't think you can.

However I am willing to listen to anyone claiming any sonic benefits for converting 24/176.4 PCM to DSD64.

Not liking PCM-to-DSD is a whole different issue...you said it was not possible to do with Audiogate!

I also agree that converting PCM to DSD may be a waste. In fact, to me, even my DSD-to-PCM conversions have been hit or miss, as I've stated in a few threads here. There is something amiss with the conversions (and of course the lack of truly professional gear). So, if it's PCM leave it, if it's DSD, find a Mytek. :) And if it's analog...well then ripping vinyl or tape to DSD prolly makes sense for those with DSD playback.

Currently breaking in this DAC (The black mastering version)and will report here eventually more fully. A couple of points: DSD playback is still an unfolding event as the software support is still materializing so have yet to try that. Sonically, first impressions that is,its very neutral/colourless if not polite as one would expect from a company who makes professional gear but its too soon to give a full comparison without more detailed AB testing and more break in. Its a solid well made little brick. There is a new version of the manual posted online, new firmware expected soon to allow DSD playback with at least one Windows software player. In the meantime ask any questions.

great news. at least real-world users!

could you please tell me what you'll be A/B-ing with?

best regards

André

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

DSD will be compared with Marantz SA7001KI should be get it working. PCM will be compared wth comparable value/performance items: Musical Fidelity X-DAC V8(Solid state mode) using SPDIF (sourced from SPDIF out on Musiland 02 Xilinx FPGA based USB DAC), and modified Zhaolu D3 DAC via I2S (Cat 5/TG-Link) from a Togo Technologies PCI sound card.

I got mine too today, and so far all the driver-installation (currently "USB 2" only ..., namely for the RigiSystems USBPAL) has went smoothless.

Later I will also test the TC/Dice Chipset-derivers for Firewire on my Dell laptop.

Playing back via ASIO out of Foobar worked without any hickups so far (including auto sampling rate switching - displayed on the Mytek Dac).

Buffer settings are at 990ms for/in Foobar, "Streaming Buffer Size" and "ASIO Buffer Size" set to "small" (acc. 4 + 8 ms respectively) in the Drivers control Menu.

DSD playback doesn't work at the moment (using the SACD decoder plugin for Foobar set to "DSD -autoswitch"), but hopefully this could be fixed asap - because thats my main point in getting this unit anyway ;-) ...

Later I will connect the DAC to my main system to see (hear) if I could detect some sonic differencies to my current rig.

But as thats allways VERY subjective (and speaker/room dependent ..), don't hold your breath on this ...

Cheers

and happy listening

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I also have ordered Mytek stereo 192 and still waiting. I am concerned that seems nobody can get it playback DSD so far?

I buy it mainly for it's claimed capability of playing raw DSD file not covering to PCM. I already have decent DAC for PCMs, no need another PCM DAC.

Can someone confirm this can play DSD?

Its obvious that from the point of view of the hardware the Mytek 192 DSD DAC can playback 64fs and 128fs DSD. Mytek are long time gurus of DSD. However the physical DAC is only one part of the equation. It relies upon an ecosystem of software providers (USBPAL, Firewire, ASIO, Audio client, Firmware) who are in the same boat you are in. They have likely just received the DAC and are testing their software with it. You are going to have to pay the price of an early adopter: patience.

AFAIK there is an overdue firmware (supposed to be released last Monday) update which allows the Mytek ASIO driver to work with Signalyst HQDesktop playback software. Now I dont care for this software myself, it crashes and burns and it seems brittle to me but it will be soon followed by support from JRiver Media Center, hopefully by year end or in the next release of their product of native DSD playback using Asio 2.x/Steinberg API and possibly the dCS proposal. There upsampled PCM solution for DSD works very well even for multichannel DSD and I am sure they will get native working competitively. There is also planned support for Mac Users using Pure Audio. And there is talk with the Korg software developers for Audiogate maybe. Others will no doubt fall into line to offer DSD playback, now there is an affordable, reasonably open standard DAC to work with. Mytek's release will hopefully spur on yet more hardware from competitors.

Its in Mytek's interest to have software that coperates with their DAC and I am sure they are working on it but no software developer wants to release software that doesnt work reliably or that impairs the audio.

If Mytek can't deliver DSD playaback on the Win/Mac platform by the end of the month using at least one player/client then I think we might start an Internet petition. :)

All these are very good comments- indeed the 4 elements the DAC, the driver, the OS and the playback software have to come together and talk to each other for the whole thing to work. While we are there in terms of PCM at up to 192k, DSD is in this state of flux when things change daily. A short while ago DCS DSD method, which essentially allows DSD to be sent over 24/176.4 PCM data pipeline, was announced. We now have it implemented. It works with HQPlayer from Signalyst on Win and Pure Music on the MAC, we showed this at RMAF in Denver last weekend and will show again this weekend at AES in New York. But in Win there is also another method: DSD is included in ASIO spec and this is what the new music server from merging.com- Emotion is using - we showed this one too. DCS method was implemented after we shipped first DACs last month and these users needs to update their firmware to 1.10 to get DSD working. The firmware update requires a new FW driver which we are still testing but hope to post within next couple of days along with firmware. There was a sense of surge and dynamics at RMAF in terms of how quickly things are moving in computer playback field, everything seems to be in flux, it's hard to tell what software does what as there are 10+ packages and competition releases new things daily. But this flux is all for the better, when the dust settles, it will be beautiful- many choices for playing all possible formats including DSD and 128xDSD.

best Regards, Michal , Mytek New York

PS: I might be away until Monday from this and email but pls find us at AES show at booth #348

http://www.aes.org/events/131/exhibitors/exhibitors.cfm