IGNORED

Perhaps MQA isn’t quite dead just yet...

Stereophile is promoting MQA by making a literally accurate but misleading comparison between MQA on Tidal and lossless high-res on Qobuz.  Jason Serinus says Tidal's MQA "enables" (whatever that means) streaming of 384 KHz masters, whereas Qobuz offers only 192 KHz or less.  Serinus fails to say that Qobuz' 192 KHz is genuinely lossless, whereas converting 384 KHz to MQA is lossy, i.e., the "unfolded" 384 KHz audio is not the same as the original .  He also fails to say that Qobuz in Europe is not in beta, but has been streaming lossless hi-res for years.

"Besides the appearance there of many new components capable of MQA decoding and rendering, CES provided an opportunity to unveil two important MQA developments. The first is that Tidal Masters (MQA playback) is now available on Android phones and tablets. While Tidal's potential rival, the French company Qobuz, is currently beta-testing its own hi-rez streaming platform for Android, iOS, Apple, and Windows devices, prior to its official launch in the US, Qobuz is limited to 24/192 resolution. MQA's folding and unfolding technology, as seen on the Android phone held by MQA's Ken Forsythe, enables Tidal to stream Masters titles of up to 24/352.8 or 384 unfolded resolution."

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

9 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Stereophile is promoting MQA by making a literally accurate but misleading comparison between MQA on Tidal and lossless high-res on Qobuz.  Jason Serinus says Tidal's MQA "enables" (whatever that means) streaming of 384 KHz masters, whereas Qobuz offers only 192 KHz or less.  Serinus fails to say that Qobuz' 192 KHz is genuinely lossless, whereas converting 384 KHz to MQA is lossy, i.e., the "unfolded" 384 KHz audio is not the same as the original .  He also fails to say that Qobuz in Europe is not in beta, but has been streaming lossless hi-res for years.

"Besides the appearance there of many new components capable of MQA decoding and rendering, CES provided an opportunity to unveil two important MQA developments. The first is that Tidal Masters (MQA playback) is now available on Android phones and tablets. While Tidal's potential rival, the French company Qobuz, is currently beta-testing its own hi-rez streaming platform for Android, iOS, Apple, and Windows devices, prior to its official launch in the US, Qobuz is limited to 24/192 resolution. MQA's folding and unfolding technology, as seen on the Android phone held by MQA's Ken Forsythe, enables Tidal to stream Masters titles of up to 24/352.8 or 384 unfolded resolution."

You, me and others responded to his column and tried to set him straight.  And he still doesn't get it. He responded by referring you to a list of MQA files supposedly in DXD resolution.

I literally told him he needs to better inform himself about how MQA works. I don't think he is a "shill". He just assumes all sorts of things and apparently either hasn't read the technical descriptions of how MQA encoding works or is not capable of understanding it.

Pretty amazing for someone who works as an audiophile "professional" and publishes on the subject.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

45 minutes ago, Taz777 said:

Moreover, a significant percentage of the songs I listen to simply weren't available on Qobuz. [...]

So back in the real world, and starting from the top down (i.e. the artists and songs that I enjoy listening to), if it's not available, then no degree of technical audio superiority will draw me towards the streaming service.

Consider that if you've been using Tidal for some time, your listening habits will likely have been influenced by availability in their catalogue.

35 minutes ago, mansr said:

Consider that if you've been using Tidal for some time, your listening habits will likely have been influenced by availability in their catalogue.

To some extent, yes. I'm on various forums and social media groups for the genre of music that I particularly like. Members of those groups post (mainly) YouTube links to songs that they like. If it sounds good to me then I seek that song out on Tidal. More often than not, I find the song is available and add it to one of my playlists.

With the Tidal recommended lists it's a bit hit and miss, but I have discovered some great new artists.

There's also a Tidal mix section that contains playlists of selected music from my own playlists interspersed with Tidal's recommended songs. Again, a bit hit and miss, but I've found new songs that I enjoy.

I totally accept that MQA itself is a controversial subject and respect both sides of argument. It's just in my case it doesn't really matter.

The latest in the fraud investigations into Tidal's (alledgedly) falsified streaming numbers (benefiting Beyonce and Kanye primarily, at the expense of correct royalties to all other music acts on Tidal)  :

https://www.dn.no/musikk/okokrim-bekrefter-etterforsker-databedrageri-i-tidal/2-1-515215

https://www.whathifi.com/news/tidal-under-criminal-investigation-over-alleged-fake-streams

(I'd say this is on-topic, as MQA has been using Tidal's adoption of their lossy encoding to claim relevance)

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

5 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

The latest in the fraud investigations into Tidal's (alledgedly) falsified streaming numbers (benefiting Beyonce and Kanye primarily, at the expense of correct royalties to all other music acts on Tidal)  :

https://www.dn.no/musikk/okokrim-bekrefter-etterforsker-databedrageri-i-tidal/2-1-515215

https://www.whathifi.com/news/tidal-under-criminal-investigation-over-alleged-fake-streams

(I'd say this is on-topic, as MQA has been using Tidal's adoption of their lossy encoding to claim relevance)

It's on topic if streaming MQA goes away because of Tidal where will they turn?