IGNORED

Perhaps MQA isn’t quite dead just yet...

Do most Android phones even have a DAC capable of handling higher bit rates natively?

I would guess that in most cases the TIDAL app is origami-unfolding MQA only to have it converted to 16/48 before it hits the DAC, in which case I would rather just have the lossless stream in the first place.

As far as putting in MQA in cars... No reason a car stereo couldn't handle lossless 24/192 and DSD if you really want to go there.

MQA continue to be a solution in search of a problem.

28 minutes ago, mansr said:

MQA is inherently incompatible with gapless playback since the filters might need to be reconfigured between tracks, even on the same album.

I assume the first unfold would be all that was happening in the app at this point so a half assed implementation seems to be plausable in this case.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

26 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

I assume the first unfold would be all that was happening in the app at this point so a half assed implementation seems to be plausable in this case.

And I just don't see all of these smartphone users paying $20.00 a month to get MQA music.

The Truth Is Out There

1 hour ago, mansr said:

MQA is inherently incompatible with gapless playback since the filters might need to be reconfigured between tracks, even on the same album.

Thank you, that's an extremely important point for classical music listeners, and it's especially shameful that the "press" has not mentioned this anywhere that I have seen.

Gapless may be rarely needed in pop/rock (although even in my very tiny collection of those genres, there are a number of albums that transition smoothly between tracks, Crystal Gayle's classic Christmas album, for one off the top of my head lol), but it's essential for playback of opera recordings, any work with variations that are assigned individual track numbers, as well as plenty of symphonies and concerti where the composer eschewed silence between movements and the work continues seamlessly, such as the transition from the 2nd to 3rd movement in Rachmaninov's 3rd piano concerto.  If MQA cannot handle such transitions flawlessly/inaudibly, then it is not ready for prime time and has no business being called or remotely considered to be high resolution/high quality at all.  It is broken for classical just as non-gapless MP3 was.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

2 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

No! Surprisingly, the Android Tidal App will do the full unfold. I sent an MQA file from my phone to a non-MQA dac and it is getting 192k sample rate. OTH, the USB Audio Player PRO (Android) app will only do the first unfold.

mQa is dead!

44 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Of course not.  But you can use the same Tidal account on any device including desktop and/or laptop, dedicated streamer, etc.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I use my one Tidal HiFi account on four devices (desktop, tablet, mobile phone and network streamer). My iFi Nano dac and streamer are MQA compatible although hardly any of my music collection is MQA.

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Maybe so, but I'm getting gapless playback from the Android Tidal App, output sent to a Marantz HD-AMP1 amp/dac. I can play MQA tracks at random with no problem and no gap*.

*At least no gap most of the time -- occasionally there is a wait while the buffer is being loaded -- this does not happen on playlists, just when selecting tracks at random.

mQa is dead!

45 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Maybe so, but I'm getting gapless playback from the Android Tidal App, output sent to a Marantz HD-AMP1 amp/dac. I can play MQA tracks at random with no problem and no gap*.

*At least no gap most of the time -- occasionally there is a wait while the buffer is being loaded -- this does not happen on playlists, just when selecting tracks at random.

The Android Tidal app also plays gapless to the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+.  OTH, interestingly, the USB Audio Player PRO (Android) app will not play MQA files gaplessly.

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

No! Surprisingly, the Android Tidal App will do the full unfold. I sent an MQA file from my phone to a non-MQA dac and it is getting 192k sample rate. OTH, the USB Audio Player PRO (Android) app will only do the first unfold .

Similarly, the Android Tidal App will do the full* unfold when the file sent to the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. Also, l get 96k on the Dragonfly Red DAC.

* I tried changing the streaming quality in the app and no matter what I set it at, the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ indicates 192k and this includes when playing non-MQA material. Therefore, perhaps the app is just doing plain old upsampling? The DAC is not detecting an MQA stream. Strangely, the DAC is indicating 192k and 22 bit (not 24 bit).

On the other hand, the DAC does recognize an MQA stream coming from the USB Audio Player PRO (Android) app and upsamples from 96k* to 192k, when appropriate. And when the TIDAL file from USB Audio Player PRO is non-MQA, the DAC plays it at the native sample/bit rate as it should.

*unfortunately, there is no way to send the MQA file through untouched without the software doing the first unfold.

mQa is dead!

10 hours ago, mansr said:

Disagree.

If an album is meant to be gapless, I'm sure the people doing the relevant encoding job can take care of that.

I also believe some MQA CD are also encoded from long continuous streams.

We have been supporting gapless Tidal Masters and Qobuz Hi-Res for a long time and no customer has complained about the type of glitch caused by the format itself as quoted.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead