IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

This weekend I plan to test this StarTech USB to fiber media converter.

How would that be different or better than someone using your (less expensive and more optimized) opticalModule FMC—connected to the copper Ethernet port of their computer?

That StarTech unit does not act as a switch or router, so as with any FMC, the computer would still need another network connection—and I recall you are not a fan of people doing the problematic “bridging” dance.

Maybe a USB>fiber converter will be useful for laptops lacking an Ethernet port, but again, that fiber output still needs to go to someplace on the network which will give it an IP address.

Am I missing something here my friend? :)

—Alex C.

26 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

wouldn't it be advantageous to go endpoint > usb to fiber converter > fiber > sfp port on switch?  that would leave out a couple of power supplies at least.

Not quite following you, other than that the StarTech USB>fiber converter is powered by computer USB 5VBUS and the Sonore opticalModule FMC (as well as lesser, garden variety FMCs) does require a modest power supply.

Beyond that I'll await Jesus' explanation regarding the rationale for his interest in the StarTech.  I am genuinely curious. B|

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

The opticalModule is not available yet and this is just another connection scheme. Also, Andrew has a lot of sonicTransporters in the wild and this would be a simple and effective way to convert them to optical output without the need for another power supply. 

Ah, makes sense.  Something fun to try. Thanks.  

[And indeed Macs make it easy to share a network connection with other ports/devices.  I've been doing that for years with the Apple Thunderbolt>Ethernet Adapter.]

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

No worries...we are on it. We have redesigned the opticalRendu and incorporated the newer technology in the opticalModule which is a cleaner design that also uses less power:) So the opticalModule and the opticalRendu are going to be match made in heaven!  

That’s great.  So I assume you will be removing from the opticalRendu page the contra-indication regarding use of the UltraCap supplies.  :D

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, incus said:

Is this even a thing? [Low-current versions of UltraCap LPS-1.2.]

No, that is definitely NOT a thing!

ALL UltraCap units are personally certified by me--using a programable electronic load--to be capable of producing a continuous 1.1 amps.  The software code that the boards are flashed with do not allow the units to go past 1.2 amps.  Most boards "trip" into software-defined over-current mode (five red flashes, one green flash to recheck load, then five red flashes repeating) at between 1.12 to 1.16 amps.  Owing to parts tolerances, a few units make it to 1.17 to 1.19 amps.  We are only speaking of a few tens of milliamps difference.

43 minutes ago, MagnusH said:

If chip fail to completely reclock a digital transmission, so that old clocks is still within the transmission, would not a simple buffering get rid of them? For example, write one package to a memory as soon as its received, and have another chip read the package and clock it from scratch before sending.

Please re-read what John wrote.  This is about the impact--of imperfect timing--on the ground plane of the power networks.

This is where our sophisticated EtherREGEN will come in--with isolated power/data/clock domains using ultra-low jitter differential flip-flops and isolators.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Metnoc said:

Please don't try to convince me that optical ethernet makes my stereo sound as it should, in no way shape or for is that true. It just has some advantages over copper ethernet, but the reverse is true as well.
I trust my own ears, not some guy trying to explain that he has solved this or that issue.

Okay, so then just use and enjoy your opticalRendu with the copper SFP module as you have.  There are a number of elements of the opticalRendu which are advancements over the ultraRendu, so there really is nothing to complain about there. Right? :D

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Kevin Nguyen said:

Yes, this might be in my timeline for next update, just hold me back cause it costs US$198 to ship to Australia plus ~20% custom tax and service fees (not counting the tax from US side already included in the product price).

Unlike Europe, USA manufacturers do not include any tax in the product price. Just sayin'. :D

Just now, Kevin Nguyen said:

I just googled it and found maybe max 7% in some states

That is a state sales tax--not a national one.  It varies by state--and counties in some states add a couple percent to the statewide rate. It is charged only to buyers residing in those locations--never to overseas buyers (unless you ask a manufacturer to drop-ship into a US state where the have to charge sales tax).

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Musikfan said:

I wonder if there are any OR and OM users that may weigh in on whether they see any perceived benefits to adding an etherREGEN to their systems.

There are several users who own all three of these fine Swenson-engineered devices and have reported their experiences over in the EtherREGEN Listening Impressions thread. I think one of them even has the Chord MScaler as you do. 

15 minutes ago, sgb said:

Thats strange. So if I am using a Sonore product in conjunction with a UpTone product I am not supposed to discusse it here. Where shall I discusse it then? 

You are welcome to in any of the active threads in UpTone's sponsored area.

But this is the opticalRendu thread and the person I replied to was asking about differences between the Sonore opticalModule and the UpTone EtherREGEN.  There are a number of owners of both (actually all three) products posting in the EtherREGEN Listening Impressions thread.

• 2 months later...