IGNORED

Is It Time For Moderators?

Is it time for moderators in the forum?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for moderators in the forum?

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, esldude said:

Alex repeatedly asks me why I post mostly in the General forum saying I should spend time in sponsored sub-forums.

I  only suggested Forums other than just the General Forum, although it certainly wouldn't hurt to look in at some of the sponsored forums from time to time to see what other members are doing.

You don't have to buy their products to see some interesting technical discussions from members that are also worthy of a place in the other non sponsored areas.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Only 36 votes so far suggests that perhaps the timing of this thread isn't right. 

Perhaps we need to see  if things settle down more after the holiday season before taking any action on the results ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

10 hours ago, Abtr said:

I would remove the content of an offending post or posts and replace it with a short explanation in red, such as "Ad hominem attack removed" or "Off topic content removed." This way moderation would be more visible which may have an extra preventive effect.

In some cases, perhaps just the offending part of the post ?

Why do  some of you guys feel the need to use stuffy dead Latin language phrases such as Ad Hominen  ? 

Surely it can be said even more effectively in plain English for the non technical members who would appear to be in the majority in this forum ?

13 minutes ago, 4est said:

This is a specific logical fallacy. This is the short effective way of saying what they want to. You are on an audio debate forum. I'd take the opportunity to learn some of them. It would help your arguments and understanding. I mean no disrespect.

4est

I take what you have said in the spirit that you have intended , however you may have noticed that  recently there has been WAY less use of either of those terms in this forum with members from many different countries and different levels of education.

The vast number of non USA members are unlikely to have even participated in a school Debating team.

Logical Fallacy is also a term often used by both sides which is also abused, and often used when the poster doesn't have a proper detailed answer.

FFS, they don't even use Ad Hominen or Logical Fallacy in Parliamentary debates in most countries !

Alex

3 minutes ago, 4est said:

You can bet most all of them know what they are though.

Yes, many of them will, but in modern multi cultural countries a large number of the constituents that they represent won't .

10 minutes ago, 4est said:

it is called an ad hominem, "attacking the man" or some such. Just to bring it back around and wrap it.

IOW, a Personal Attack .

Why is that so hard to say when moderating , when so many members already accuse a select few of engaging in this type of behaviour ?

11 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Perhaps a notification could be sent to the "offending" poster giving him/her the opportunity to edit their original post and reposting?

That would be an ideal situation, but editing would probably not be possible with current Forum S/W as the time limit on editing of the post would need to be restarted (or removed?)  again, and even then the OP may no longer be online, perhaps due to different time Zones.

44 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Of course you won't see the terms used during a Parliamentary debate, Alex. They are used to describe the nature of the content of a debate or post; they are not part of the content itself. It is no different from describing a post as a personal attack. You won't see the words "personal attack" in the offending post. Ad hominem is clearly understood to refer to an attack on the person, when a debate is supposed to challenge the person's argument or ideas.

By now you surely know what ad hominem means, so I don't understand why you get upset when someone uses the term appropriately. :) 

You will often  see the words " personal attack" in a reply to a few members.

This is an International AUDIO Forum, NOT a  U.S.A. style  Debating team , or a Courtroom.

Do you use these phrases there too, or do you use normal English or (French as applicable ) in Canada  ?

I doubt that one solicitor/lawyer often tells the opposing solicitor/lawyer that his is a Strawman argument either.:P

It's hard enough for many whose first language isn't English without also making them Google dead Latin phrases as well as the intended meaning of some posts by a few other members.

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Duplicate deleted

12 minutes ago, Allan F said:

When discussing electronics you use technical terms that are not necessarily understood by others, including me. I don't expect you to "dumb down" your content for those who may not follow what you have to say.

With respect, I believe that this is more an assumption on your part than anything else. I don''t recall anyone else complaining about the use of ad hominem. In fact, Latin is more familiar to many whose first language is not English than it is to those whose first language is English.

Allan

It's too bloody hot here at present to argue about such stupid things.

You didn't answer my question about the use of " Strawman Arguments" in court either.

I am always quite happy to spell out any abbreviations used if asked.

Haven't you heard of the K.I.S.S.   Principle ? 

18 minutes ago, Allan F said:

It's 5°C in Vancouver. BTW, I answered your question in my edited post. The problem with the KISS principle is that some people are too thick to get the simplified version. :)

I like the far more colourful language bit ! :)

Now to back in front of the hot air circulator, A.K.A. a Fan.

The rest of this house has A/C. but the one in this room is deceased .:$

AT LEAST 3 more days of this, with Western Sydney >40C and a few places exceeding 48C :o

Cooranbong weather..jpg

34 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’ll get to this thread in a bit. 

Chris

When you finish spending some quality time with your daughter, are you able to drag out some Traffic Stats. for the last few days ? (NFP-Personal use only)

Given the extremely small number of replies to your thread, in  a forum with so many members and viewers, it seems a bit weird that there isn't far greater participation.

Could it be that the majority of silent members only visit occasionally ,or simply think that this whole issue is a storm in a teacup , or is it that for most members , time for family is more important this time of year , especially given school holidays etc.? 

With ProBoards forums it is also possible to send out group emails advising members of special promotions, and even notice of polls like this one which could result in a change to the T.O.S. of the forum.

At least it would result in a more accurate result to your question, and quite possibly result in only minor changes (if any) being needed .

I suspect however that many of the frequent posters will feel threatened by such a suggestion.

Alex

1 hour ago, audiobomber said:

We should have a LMAO button along with Upvote, Like and Off Topic.

What we need is for people to stop incorrectly using the OFF TOPIC button to voice their displeasure, instead of it being used for what it is provided for. Used correctly it has the potential to alert Admin to potential conflict problems when enough instances are recorded.

1 minute ago, RickyV said:

Yes we need a disagre button too

I think that this option may not have been provided so that groups of members can't vote as a Bloc in order to disrupt/shout down or attempt to intimidate the OP or other posters in the thread.

9 minutes ago, wgscott said:

If the first responder states an opinion as fact, is it unreasonable for the second responder to point out that there are no objective measurements that support the first responder's assertion?   

That depends on  the wording of the question being asked, and the wishes of the OP.

I have yet to see any published Objective measurements taken at the Analogue outputs of a DAC for example, because of the difficulties involved, so supportive measurements may not always be obtainable , and  A/D conversions from the output of a DAC for measurement purposes will never be fully accepted as definitive proof by both sides.

Neither will all DACs handle less than perfect input streams the same either.

52 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I think that insistence on LPS everywhere and Class D nowhere and audiophile cables everywhere raises the bar of entry too high

In some cases, desirable, but not always affordable. It usually comes down to the point of diminishing returns on the money spent.

38 minutes ago, mansr said:

Guess what happened.

It was pointed out to Your  Royal Highness that a good quality,  proper 75ohm cable could be obtained quite cheaply.(<$20)

You wouldn't use a "throwaway" Analogue interconnect with your own DAC's Coax SPDIF input, (OR would you ? )yet you suggest that others should do so. 

19 minutes ago, 4est said:

Your royal highness? WTF? Although I often agree with you on sound, this nickname is completely wrong. If you want respect, you need to proffer it. Period.

4est

Do  you prefer his own nickname of "Troll" ?

4 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

So point is: how to reset. I regularly try, but such guys always - at some stage - come back at you. And then the next stage implies a point of no return.

Peter

Mansr didn't need to post that snarky reply which was clearly aimed at me.

A few members deliberately bait others to illicit a reply like I just made.

They have also done the same to you.

Alex

5 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Depends on where you look. CA is a bit tilted towards the subjective (IMO), so objective measurements are rarely published here. There are exceptions, of course @mitchco, @mansr, @miska, and some others come to mind, but you can find plenty of analog output measurements published on other sites, many with some very high-caliber equipment by folks who really understand how to measure audio.

Of course it is, otherwise the name of the Forum would possibly have been Computer Audio.

I have previously posted measurements performed by a DIY Audio member of the results of my front end Amplifier balancing methodology as well as a few for my Class A HA/Preamp.

49 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

If that is your main interest, there are other sites with more industry pros and deeper technical discussions, e.g. DIYAudio, Hydrogen Audio, probably others. You would be quite at home at Audio Science Review, where you could join them in sneering at audiophiles.

He wouldn't like DIY Audio or Hydrogen Audio where there is far tighter moderation.