IGNORED

Best SSD for music

I have been using G-Technology 1TB and 2TB SSD G-Drives for several years now and without issue.  I've looked into others but these have been so solid and consistent for me I am hesitant to change.  They give me no reason to change.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
  • 3 weeks later...

One option to consider including into your setup when going for "best ssd" would be JCAT's Optimo Nano power supply which can be used to power your SATA SSD's with LT3045 filtered power.

I did not find too much of user experience feedback in regards powering SSD neither on JCAT's own forum nor JCAT Club here on AS. I have my eyes on the product for some undefined time in future. Would be interested of first hand experience. 

6 hours ago, Savolax said:

One option to consider including into your setup when going for "best ssd" would be JCAT's Optimo Nano power supply which can be used to power your SATA SSD's with LT3045 filtered power.

I did not find too much of user experience feedback in regards powering SSD neither on JCAT's own forum nor JCAT Club here on AS. I have my eyes on the product for some undefined time in future. Would be interested of first hand experience. 

I keep my ssd in an external enclosure that accepts 5v power. Connect by USB. Big SQ benefits to getting the SSD out of the box and also to getting the SSD onto good power (in my case I power it with a 5v farad super3).

3 hours ago, Mauidj7 said:

OK...thats pretty out there! I question many of my fringe purchases like expensive power cables etc. but this is a real head scratcher. Can you explain how this could possibly affect the "sound" or bits coming from a SSD. I cannot think of one way it would affect the SQ but I'm open to any new concept.

See my comment above. Big SQ upgrade from this IMO.  Conceptually not sure why it’s different than getting any other part of the digital side onto quality power.

17 minutes ago, Mauidj7 said:

So what SSD do you use? What do you mean about getting it out of the box?

I use a Samsung EVO 2TB, and the enclosure with the option to externally power it is from Oyen Digital. 

By getting it out of the box, I meant having the SSD external to the server (and connected via USB enclosure) rather than having it connected directly by SATA or NVME. I just use this for music storage, I run the OS (audioLinux v4) on an Optane stick, that is of course directly attached to the mobo via m.2 slot.

This is just my experience with my diy server and setup, but it for me this had a big impact. 

6 hours ago, Mauidj7 said:

OK...thats pretty out there! I question many of my fringe purchases like expensive power cables etc. but this is a real head scratcher. Can you explain how this could possibly affect the "sound" or bits coming from a SSD. I cannot think of one way it would affect the SQ but I'm open to any new concept.

Well, like I suggested above that I don't have experience on the product, at least not yet, the consensus within the "advanced subjective audiophilia" seems to be clear, clean power and the supply itself matters even in digital domain.

As for the Nano Power supply, with that you could filter out electrical noise using the gear you currently have quite affordably in world of audiophilia. The electical noise your computer PSU makes, the noise that gets cumulative travelling through components and chipsets. The bits would still be the same bits.

This somewhat relates to the audiophile nvme drive (revelation audio / jcat) that can be powered with a separate external power supply. Also installing the nvme drive in to a pcie slot that has a direct connection to CPU instead of running through chipset could be a uptick in sound quality.

So pretty much in line what @atxkyle reported.

Hi All,

Has anyone heard of or have experience with Timetec SSDs?

I have gone through the Forums on HHDs and SSDs and, unless my memory fails me, I do not recall reading about Timetec.

Your input will be appreciated.

Best,

Gilles

MacBook Pro (OS 10.13, 16GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, external Oyen HD w FireWire, Audirvana+ 3.5) -> Mapleshade Clearlink USB Plus cable -> UpTone Audio ISO Regen w Ultracap LPS-1.2 -> Wavelength Brick v3 DAC -> Transparent Wave Link interconnects -> Luxman R-1050 -> Transparent Music Wave Plus speaker cables -> ASW Cantius 504 speakers

Thanks, AudioDoctor.

Looks like the topic of the quality of SSDs has been put to bed.

MacBook Pro (OS 10.13, 16GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, external Oyen HD w FireWire, Audirvana+ 3.5) -> Mapleshade Clearlink USB Plus cable -> UpTone Audio ISO Regen w Ultracap LPS-1.2 -> Wavelength Brick v3 DAC -> Transparent Wave Link interconnects -> Luxman R-1050 -> Transparent Music Wave Plus speaker cables -> ASW Cantius 504 speakers

On 10/25/2022 at 12:27 AM, atxkyle said:

I keep my ssd in an external enclosure that accepts 5v power. Connect by USB. Big SQ benefits to getting the SSD out of the box and also to getting the SSD onto good power (in my case I power it with a 5v farad super3).

For me I've found that the power consumption to have a sizable impact on sound quality.  I use the SK Hynix Gold P31 NVME ssd because it is the most power efficient SSD currently out there.  I have it housed in a Sabrent enclosure that tops out at 10Gbps, their slowest and most power efficient.  This enclosure uses the RTL9210B chipset and is extremely simple and barebones.  I used to have an ORICO 40Gbps enclosure housing the same NVME SSD and switching to the much smaller/slower/simpler Sabrent RTL9210B chipset based one resulted in a big jump in SQ.  Even my switch is a TrendNET TE-100-S5, only 1.1 watts of power consumption.

What I would really love is to have a way to power my NVME SSD from an external source.  My server is fed clean 5V power but the actual SSD runs off 3.3V, so there is a conversion happening within the Sabrent enclosure.  I doubt I'll ever find a way to do this without dropping a grand on a JCAT.  If anyone has found an enclosure that can bypass the 5V usb and allow the SSD to be fed separately by 3.3V, then I will need to send you a case of beer.

3 hours ago, Gilles said:

Thanks, AudioDoctor.

Looks like the topic of the quality of SSDs has been put to bed.

This is, likely, to be the only SSD that makes any difference in sound quality. Although @WuBai does make some interesting points regarding power consumption, I wonder how big the differences actually are.

https://jcat.eu/product/m-2-femto-ssd/

No electron left behind.

23 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

This is, likely, to be the only SSD that makes any difference in sound quality. Although @WuBai does make some interesting points regarding power consumption, I wonder how big the differences actually are.

https://jcat.eu/product/m-2-femto-ssd/

That's the one I was thinking about, but it is a really big step too far and I cannot justify it.  As for the differences with regards to how power consumption levels of SSDs/Switches/Enclosures impact sound, there is no way to prove anything.  The SSD is around $110 USD and the enclosure is around $22.  Moving to the slower enclosure with that particular RTL9210B chipset made more of a difference than changing from the Intel 670p to the SK Hynix Gold.  So bang for the buck, I'd say it is $22 extremely well spent.  

I wish I could figure out a way to bypass the 5V to 3.3V conversion on the PCB in the enclosure and put in a big bulky Sparkos Labs discrete voltage regulator in there, but I'm not at the level where I can trace the PCB circuit and make any sense of it but somebody out there certainly is.  Would I take it to that extreme?  Yes.  Am I knowledgeable enough to do so?  Nope.

FYI, if that is of any interest to you, the power draw of this SSD is [email protected], as per Timetec.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08GJCS69D/ref=sw_img_1?smid=A23AD5LOJUVSEP&psc=1

• 2 weeks later...

As I have written elsewhere:

I would like to make another recommendation: After having listened to my music stored on a Thunderbolt HDD, for more than 100 hrs I am using a Samsung PM893 SSD. It is encased in a metal Fantec case with an ASM1153E chipset which is favoured in a German audio forum.

I was surprised to learn at first (even short) listening that this combo easily outperformed my Thunderbolt HDD with more details, dynamics and a better soundstage to name a few. I then replaced a cheap cable by a Y-silvercore cable. At first I was disappointed to only find that both were on par. But after quite a few hours the silvercore cable opened more and more. I use a HDPLEX 300W as a linear power supply to provide 5V for the Fantec case.

So for me there is no way back.

The final step will probably be to modify the Fantec board inside for an even better power supply.

Best wishes,

Uwe

18 hours ago, Mauidj7 said:

Sorry mate but tried to read some of that thread and it made my head hurt!!!!! I think I will go listen to some music now :-)

Don't worry about it. Keep it simple with NAS and NAS hard drives for media isolation, faster/quieter drives only help with the media player/OS installation

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I have used Intel M.2 SSD 760 series for both OS and Music Library in the M.2 slots of an Asus P10S WS motherboard.  I then switched to two Apacer SLC Extended Temp SATA SSDs with JCAT reference SATA cables and Neotech wired power cables for both OS and Music library which improved the SQ, especially when I changed its power from one HDPLEX 200 to a JCAT Optimo 3 Duo.  I now have two Dark Force Femto NVME SSDs via PCIe powered by the Optimo 3 Duo and a Plixir BDC Elite, for the OS and Music Library and there was a big increase in SQ, especially when disabling the SATA controllers in the BIOS. Carlos

On 11/6/2022 at 11:05 AM, alsterfan said:

As I have written elsewhere:

I would like to make another recommendation: After having listened to my music stored on a Thunderbolt HDD, for more than 100 hrs I am using a Samsung PM893 SSD. It is encased in a metal Fantec case with an ASM1153E chipset which is favoured in a German audio forum.

I was surprised to learn at first (even short) listening that this combo easily outperformed my Thunderbolt HDD with more details, dynamics and a better soundstage to name a few. I then replaced a cheap cable by a Y-silvercore cable. At first I was disappointed to only find that both were on par. But after quite a few hours the silvercore cable opened more and more. I use a HDPLEX 300W as a linear power supply to provide 5V for the Fantec case.

So for me there is no way back.

The final step will probably be to modify the Fantec board inside for an even better power supply.

Best wishes,

Uwe

Now I'm very curious to try this setup!  Which Fantec case did you use that takes a 5V DC input?  I can only find the 12V versions on their German website.

No problem:

https://www.fantec.de/produkte/speicherprodukte/ssd-festplattengehaeuse/25-zoll-festplattengehaeuse/produkt/details/artikel/1661_fantec_225u3_6g/

1661--225U3-6G.thumb.jpg.d3d052decc2011fdaccfa7c579777b23.jpg

For me it is a good choice as it uses USB 3.0 so for those being familiar with making cables it is not a big problem to build a Y-solidcore cable with good Viborg connectors from here:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/usb-connectors/viborg-ua201-male-usb-a-20-connector-gold-24k-plated-o85mm-p-14437.html

viborg-ua201-male-usb-a-20-connector-gold-24k-plated-o85mm.jpg.6757c0e520c0364c78b374a5d5d345b4.jpg

I hope this will be of help for you.

Best wishes,

Uwe

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2022 at 11:58 AM, WuBai said:

a way to power my NVME SSD from an external source

@WuBai you are not alone! for test purposes and besides the fact there are too long and too many connections this does not work either (+ PCIe to M.2 adapter for NVMe SSD).

It will allow to add external power but you can not shut off power already coming in from the MOBO over the M.2 connection (left).

let us know what you find. thanks

image.jpeg.b3abc640d6a879f98c7d2839df50106b.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 3:12 AM, Carlosoptico said:

I have used Intel M.2 SSD 760 series for both OS and Music Library in the M.2 slots of an Asus P10S WS motherboard.  I then switched to two Apacer SLC Extended Temp SATA SSDs with JCAT reference SATA cables and Neotech wired power cables for both OS and Music library which improved the SQ, especially when I changed its power from one HDPLEX 200 to a JCAT Optimo 3 Duo.  I now have two Dark Force Femto NVME SSDs via PCIe powered by the Optimo 3 Duo and a Plixir BDC Elite, for the OS and Music Library and there was a big increase in SQ, especially when disabling the SATA controllers in the BIOS. Carlos

Any suggestions how to disable the SATA controllers in a 10i7 NUC?

I have the Dark Force Femto NVME as well powered externally by a Keces LPS

11 minutes ago, Smaragdhk said:

Any suggestions how to disable the SATA controllers in a 10i7 NUC?

I have the Dark Force Femto NVME as well powered externally by a Keces LPS

Hello, you have to enter the Bios of the motherboard.  When you boot the PC continuously type the F12 or F2 key or look at the instructions to enter the BIOS.  Once you have entered, look for the SATA controller and disable it. Carlos

47 minutes ago, Carlosoptico said:

Hello, you have to enter the Bios of the motherboard.  When you boot the PC continuously type the F12 or F2 key or look at the instructions to enter the BIOS.  Once you have entered, look for the SATA controller and disable it. Carlos

Thanks, I double checked the BIOS and the SATA controllers are indeed off…