IGNORED

Best SSD for music

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

The rules of that thread are explicit in that only post which agree with the current flow are permitted.

That isn't quite correct. There are many instances of minor disagreements, and the fact that not all tweaks work universally.

They just don't want to have others start spouting theory in an to attempt to shut down their line of thought or  investigations, and prefer to find things out for themselves. They try to learn from each other, for the betterment of the whole group. 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

That isn't quite correct. There are many instances of minor disagreements, and the fact that not all tweaks work universally.

They just don't want to have others start spouting theory in an to attempt to shut down their line of thought or  investigations, and prefer to find things out for themselves. They try to learn from each other, for the betterment of the whole group. 

Someone reported in this thread that a difference wasn’t heard — do you need to try to support your own experiences with other unnamed people in other threads? Their experience is just as valid for them as yours is for you. Likewise I form my own opinions based upon my own experiences. I fully understand the difference between science and religion, and understand that religion is quite useful for many people and forms an essential part of their lives.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

Do you find that the EMI from an induction surface vs microwave affects the acidity of the espresso? My pour overs are done with gas heat, manual grinding, and Japanese filters precisely to avoid this 😂

Yes, it is why I have this gas stove that I manually light to avoid any electronic influence aligning the ions in my water incorrectly... Only natural heating happens here...

I also use an anti static gun, just like the version for my turntable, on my manual burr grinder before every use.

😉

No electron left behind.

2 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I also use an anti static gun, just like the version for my turntable, on my manual burr grinder before every use.

I see — do you get a massive improvement in aroma? More chocolate notes vs cherry? What does that do to vanilla? Have you tried cryo on the grinder?

Just now, jabbr said:

I see — do you get a massive improvement in aroma? More chocolate notes vs cherry? What does that do to vanilla? Have you tried cryo on the grinder?

This is Minnesota, everything gets cryo treated here...  haha

The flavor of course depends on the bean, but it does release more of the tanins and aroma. 😉

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

Do you find that the EMI from an induction surface vs microwave affects the acidity of the espresso? My pour overs are done with gas heat, manual grinding, and Japanese filters precisely to avoid this 😂

3 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Yes, it is why I have this gas stove that I manually light to avoid any electronic influence aligning the ions in my water incorrectly... Only naturally heating happens here...

😉

You guys are approaching things in the wrong way.

You need to make sure that the power to the roaster is as clean as possible.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Just now, kumakuma said:

You guys are approaching things in the wrong way.

You need to make sure that the power to the roaster is as clean as possible.

So you are saying no coals over the campfire? What if the beans have been freshly picked in the rainforest?

13 hours ago, jabbr said:

I fully understand the difference between science and religion, and understand that religion is quite useful for many people and forms an essential part of their lives.

For many E.E.s ,especially those that migrated to ASR, preaching Religion based on their own understanding of Science appears to be an essential part of their lives :)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

2 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but this isn't ASR...

Here we go again. Back to disruptive thread crapping, just like before several troublemakers left .

Short of mechanical noise from a spinning drive, why would an SSD be better, and why would one be better than another?

Answer these and this thread will have merit.

Convince me to spend the exponentially more amounts of money required to put my music collection on SSDs versus spinning 3.5 inch drives.

edit: It would be $5400 in drives alone... plus the enclosures for the dozen 2.0TB SSDs... Let say two of these which would be another $1256

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB36SRKIT0/

Edit again : and if you're going to try to convince me of some DIY alternative, convince me that my time is less valuable than the time it would take to futz with that rather than listen to music via a plug and play solution.

final edit: I wonder if you actually practice what you preach...

No electron left behind.

" Practice what you Preach"

Check out MY Profile and you will find answers to that, including the 7th photo down which is a dual +12V to +5V Low noise (<4uV) PSU add on  to supply 2 SSDs with Isolation of the power supply between each

I have NO separate Linear PSUs in my PC Audio set up , only a simple low noise voltage regulator that works in conjunction with the existing internal SMPS.

I have nothing further to say to you on this subject, as I have way better things to do such as evaluate some of John Dyson's recent corrected CD versions.

BYE .!

On 12/17/2019 at 5:20 AM, sandyk said:

The best SSDs for Audio will be those shielded from the rest of the PC/Server . This may be able to be achieved by mounting them on a metal adaptor and installing them inside a metal drive bay. They should use the shortest possible SATA3 6GB/s cables which have 2 internal screened cables instead of the generic 7 wires side by side. Their power supply cable should also be screened if possible (a DIY solution) and they should be powered from a low noise +5V supply derived from the +12V rail using a separate voltage regulator to reduce interaction with other components via the power supply, as they have a much higher square wave noise level injected back into the PSU than a HDD.  (see also  https://thessdguy.com/solving-ssd-power-spike-issues/#more-1312)

They can also radiate a lot of RF/EMI which can affect other components including WiFi.

See attached .pdf.

14A2-B4.pdf 384.34 kB · 95 downloads

Wow, you are willing to go through all of that, but refuse to check out a simple upsampling program that truly makes a much larger difference. It makes it hard to take you seriously Alex. Power supplies are the single most important part BESIDES the circuit, not despite it. Both of those are less important than the actual bits that are sent to it though.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

46 minutes ago, 4est said:

Wow, you are willing to go through all of that, but refuse to check out a simple upsampling program that truly makes a much larger difference.

It's not hard at all to do that in a suitable PC case with 51/4" drive bays, where  an adaptor plate is needed anyway, as I am more interested in reducing RF/EMI which SSDs are far worse for in that   respect than HDD,  besides which I don't need , or want everything upsampled to DSD .

Got it ? :P

14A2-B4.pdf

12 hours ago, sandyk said:

" Practice what you Preach"

Check out MY Profile and you will find answers to that, including the 7th photo down which is a dual +12V to +5V Low noise (<4uV) PSU add on  to supply 2 SSDs with Isolation of the power supply between each

I have NO separate Linear PSUs in my PC Audio set up , only a simple low noise voltage regulator that works in conjunction with the existing internal SMPS.

I have nothing further to say to you on this subject, as I have way better things to do such as evaluate some of John Dyson's recent corrected CD versions.

BYE .!

And yet, none of this answers why one SSD would sound better than any other... Or how the spinning drives in my external enclosure connected to a Mac mini running Roon and HQPlayer that then sends its 1s and 0s over my network to an Optical Rendu Signature SE and then to my DAC effect the sound I hear, or would be made better by SSDs driven by your idea of a good power supply which must perform magic on the magnetic fields and EMI created by the drive itself.

No electron left behind.