IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

On 7/4/2018 at 3:30 AM, adamdea said:

As ever your contribution might as well have been scripted as demonstration that being an audiophile is less a hobby than a way of life based on the rigorous pursuit of nonsense, superstition and self regarding vanity.

Sounds like a particular orange politician I know...

No electron left behind.

Yeah, Boeing may not be in business for much longer considering the severity of what they just did and the outcome. They literally did exactly what Frank said they did.  They installed a system that would take over when a particular set of circumstances were detected. Boeings excuse was, they didn't think the proper set of circumstances would ever exist.  Which then begs the question, Then why did you implement the system at all, followed by, why not tell the pilots flying the plane about it?  What happened?  Well, airspeed indicators failed. This meant the planes computers were unable to detect how fast the plane was flying, and this made the plane think it was stalling, ie: not flying fast enough to maintain flight and generate lift. So the new system that Boeing installed decided that its operation parameters of a stall condition without flaps deployed were met, and it took over and angled the nose down.  But this plane was flying normally, except that the airspeed indicators were giving incorrect readings, so this one nosedived right into the ground.

oops.

Aviation regulations are written in blood.  Audio is not.

No electron left behind.

9 hours ago, PeterSt said:

C'mon, sh*t happens : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Airlines_Flight_1951

The crash was caused primarily by the aircraft's automated reaction, which was triggered by a faulty radio altimeter. This caused the autothrottle to decrease the engine power to idle during approach. The crew noticed this too late to take appropriate action to increase the thrust and recover the aircraft before it stalled and crashed.[10] Boeing has since issued a bulletin to remind pilots of all 737 series and BBJ aircraft of the importance of monitoring airspeed and altitude, advising against the use of autopilot or autothrottle while landing in cases of radio altimeter discrepancies.[11]

The difference is, this was pilot error and they knew about the system. In the Lion Air crash, Boeing made a change and didn't tell anyone about it...  I can feel the lawyers rushing to cash in.

No electron left behind.

• 2 months later...
Just now, John Dyson said:

To make those with audiophile-speak happy, I just fixed a bit of 'fuzz' in the sound from my software.  Can we agree on that word?  (IN fact, I wouldn't know how to describe the problem in the sense of signal damage, because it was a total botch.)  Is 'botch' okay also? :-).

John

The software was causing the fuzz?

No electron left behind.

For my truck, MB GLS550, I try to keep the tire pressures in the recommended range year round, this can sometimes prove to be a challenge with Minnesotas weather, but the on board tire pressure monitoring system does make it simpler. I own an air compressor as well, so I can fill the tires if I have to.  Why do I own an air compressor? Because I also own the GT4... I have three sets of different tires for that, my street tires are Michelin Pilot 4S in the summer, Michelin Pilot Alpin in the winter, and for track days, Michelin Pilot Cup 2s. At no point on any of these is tire pressures a set and forget thing, unless you are 99.9% of Americans.

Sadly.

Considering a suburban soccer mom doing 175mph (did you mean kph?) in a WRX is enough to keep me off the roads...

No electron left behind.

24 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Not the pure nitrogen fairy tale.....

Plain old air and nitrogen both have to follow the ideal gas laws. Tires do not run cooler, do not give an improved ride, and are not safer in the rain with nitrogen. Hell, air is 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. 

So what is the difference and why do tire shops often use nitrogen? Because they make sure the container holding the nitrogen has no moisture (water) in it. That is what important. Not that it is all nitrogen. I have a nitrogen tank that I take to the track for my dampers and tires. I also have a drier system on my air compressor at home. So there is no moisture in my air compressor system. I have used both dry air and nitrogen at the same pressure in my races tires and there is zero difference in behavior. Why? The ideal gas law is the same for both.

science schmience

No electron left behind.