IGNORED

Whats the upgrade path from a Yggdrasil (Yiggy)

21 hours ago, krelldog said:

My Yiggy already has the analog 2 board. I wasn't aware of the USB Gen 5 upgrade.

Its encouraging to know that the consensus  upgrade is the Chord Dave. At a price point of over 10k....thats never going to happen...for me at least.

Its nice to know that my 2300.00 Dac is even in the conversation with a Chord Dave. 

Good  stuff, thanks for the replies. I will consider the JS2 power supply for the Mac Mini.

I'm also waiting on delivery for a new Iso Regen.  I had great success with the USB Regen.

when did you buy your yggy?  did you send in your yggy for the analog 2 upgrade or did it come that way?  if you have a serial number that starts with "b" then you have the analog 2 board and the gen 5 usb.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > sennheiser hd600

Maybe consider replacing your mac mini with a specialized streamer with an AES output.  That way you use Mike’s preferred Yggdrasil input and avoid all the decrapifiers and stuff.

Auralic will be announcing their Aries G1 at Axpona.  It will be more affordable than the G2.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I would not replace your mac mini right away.  I WOULD make sure that any noise from it is isolated so it does not get to the DAC.

But, let's back up... have you gone thru your music collection to make sure you have the very best mastering/recording of each album? (or each important album?)  That can produce much larger dividends than anything you do replace your Yggy with.  Same for speakers and acoustic tmts. ...

I'm pretty solid there. Most of my stuff is 24/96 or better. Don't get me wrong...system sounds amazing.

Its just insane all the tweaks and gadgets you can add to a digital signal. My biggest hurdle is trying to understand all the technical terminology. I'm still willing to explore new ways to enhance my digital playback, although I'm not willing to spend thousands chasing it.

Currently- Mac Mini---Audience AU24SE----Iso Regen with UltraCap LPS-1.2-----Yiggy

I actually don't have the Iso Regen yet ,but should have it soon.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and ideas.

On 4/9/2018 at 1:12 PM, krelldog said:

Its just insane all the tweaks and gadgets you can add to a digital signal.

Makes vinyl look simple. Less is better for me. If people are willing to spend the money, then the products will be made.

If you want a R2R DSD DAC perhaps consider one of the Lampizator DACs.

TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator Golden Atlantic, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 60th Ann. (*2), Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-3, LCD-4
Mobile: AK240, Shure 846
On 4/9/2018 at 4:34 PM, Dr Tone said:

Maybe consider replacing your mac mini with a specialized streamer with an AES output.  That way you use Mike’s preferred Yggdrasil input and avoid all the decrapifiers and stuff.

Auralic will be announcing their Aries G1 at Axpona.  It will be more affordable than the G2.

There are other options as well. Metrum Acoustics are just about to start fulfilling pre-orders for their new Ambre streamer which outputs to AES, Coax, USB and I2S.

56 minutes ago, Nordkapp said:

Are you the real George Hincapie?

Whoa!  A big plus one!  If you are, well, damn, it is an honor to have you on this forum!  I am a cycling fanatic and you have always been one of my favorite riders.  If you are not that George Hincapie, hey, you have a cool name.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

59 minutes ago, krelldog said:

I ordered the Iso Regen...with the Ultra Cap LPS 1.2 power supply.

I'll probably add the Mac mini DC-Conversion / Linear Fan Controller Kit with the

Home > Products > JS-2 Linear Power Supply....and thats as far as I'll go for the time being.

I think that's a wise path.  Please let us know how each of those steps improves things for you.  FWIW, if you order the JS-2 and a second power cable for it, you could power both your Mac Mini and Iso Regen with it and not need the 1.2, or recognize that if you added a SOTM or UltraRendu later, you'd already have a power supply.

30 minutes ago, Blake said:

Whoa!  A big plus one!  If you are, well, damn, it is an honor to have you on this forum!  I am a cycling fanatic and you have always been one of my favorite riders.  If you are not that George Hincapie, hey, you have a cool name.

Yeah, but the avatar is Cav from HTC/Highroad days. Imposter!

28 minutes ago, Nordkapp said:

Yeah, but the avatar is Cav from HTC/Highroad days. 

Good catch, that avatar is tiny.  The Manx Missle!

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

BTW, I bought the full version of HQPlayer a few nights ago.  I've messed with the settings some, and I have it upsampling to 192kHz to feed the Yggy...following the seemingly prescribed "upsample to the max of your DAC" advice.

Not over the moon about it yet, to be honest.

If any Yggy/HQPlayer users out there have recommended settings, I'm love to know what you like.  I'm finding the upsampling to feel a little etchy and bright.

42 minutes ago, jay said:

BTW, I bought the full version of HQPlayer a few nights ago.  I've messed with the settings some, and I have it upsampling to 192kHz to feed the Yggy...following the seemingly prescribed "upsample to the max of your DAC" advice.

Not over the moon about it yet, to be honest.

FWIW, member Torq, the DAC review guru on SBAF, tries software upsampling on all of the DAC's he buys and compares and reviews, then checks the results against no software upsampling (both sighted and blind testing).

For the Yggy, Torq's finding is that the Yggy does a better job when you just let the Yggy do the upsampling, as opposed to upsampling in software, ahead of the Yggy. So, you are not alone in your evaluation.  

9 minutes ago, Blake said:

FWIW, member Torq, the DAC review guru on SBAF, tries software upsampling on all of the DAC's he buys and compares and reviews, then checks the results against no software upsampling (both sighted and blind testing).

For the Yggy, Torq's finding is that the Yggy does a better job when you just let the Yggy do the upsampling, as opposed to upsampling in software, ahead of the Yggy. So, you are not alone in your evaluation.  

Thanks, that's great info.

1 hour ago, jay said:

If any Yggy/HQPlayer users out there have recommended settings, I'm love to know what you like.  I'm finding the upsampling to feel a little etchy and bright.

If a Yggdrasil Analog 2, feed it unmolested PCM.

If an original Yggdrasil you could try setting HQPlayer to 20bit and let HQPlayer dither that might help.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

On 4/12/2018 at 10:54 PM, jay said:

https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

Software you can run on your Mac (or Windows/Linux)...standalone player/controller, or you can run it behind Roon (which is what I'm doing).

Off-topic, and, I'll be happy to take this elsewhere, but, I'm very confused by this software.  What happened to good, old-fashioned, bit-perfect playback? 

I readily admit that I'm open to being educated, but, I thought folks were chasing purity of signal?  Does it have something to do with upsampling to avoid harsh sloping of digital filters?  I guess I'm confused as to why people seem to have gotten really into manipulating the digital bits these days, especially after years of forum debates where folks couldn't decide if .FLAC and .WAV sounded the same.

2 hours ago, oneway23 said:

Off-topic, and, I'll be happy to take this elsewhere, but, I'm very confused by this software.  What happened to good, old-fashioned, bit-perfect playback? 

I readily admit that I'm open to being educated, but, I thought folks were chasing purity of signal?  Does it have something to do with upsampling to avoid harsh sloping of digital filters?  I guess I'm confused as to why people seem to have gotten really into manipulating the digital bits these days, especially after years of forum debates where folks couldn't decide if .FLAC and .WAV sounded the same.

The DAC is manipulating the digital bits.  Many feel HQPlayer doing the equivalent with it's specialized filters and DSD modulators sounds better.

To Tone (who always comes to my aid and brings the 411, no matter what forum I happen to be on!), Rayl, and One and...

I won't sit here and begin to claim that I have successfully ingested all you've offered, but, I can't thank you enough.  I feel as though I've at least taken a step or two further down the path, and, that's all I can ever ask.  I never profess to know, but, I'm smart enough to ask, and, I always appreciate when anyone takes time out of their busy day.  Cheers!