IGNORED

SGC - sonicTransporter Series and Signalyst HQPlayer 4 Embedded

6 hours ago, vortecjr said:

You are just being argumentative. 

No. I am maintaining my position even though you and Miska are arguing that I am wrong. I am countering your arguments with arguments of my own. One could argue that you and Miska are "just being argumentative".

10 hours ago, Em2016 said:

I can HIGHLY recommend the sonicTransporter i7 +  Roon app + HQP Embedded app + Rendu solution

Pair it with a Pro-Ject S2 DAC or iFi iDSD Black Label, both which do DSD512x48 and PCM768kHz with HQP, or any DAC you want of course, and sit back and enjoy the music.

Not any DAC, please! I am afraid that with Chord Qutest DAC's it won't work.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

22 minutes ago, diecaster said:

No. I am maintaining my position even though you and Miska are arguing that I am wrong. I am countering your arguments with arguments of my own. One could argue that you and Miska are "just being argumentative".

I am afraid that I agree with the arguments put forward by Diecaster, despite that I end up buying a license (the 2nd one). In the future if I decide to move to an STi7, I will need to buy a 3rd one. Of course it will be my decision but I do not think it is much fair being a HQplayer supporter...

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

3 minutes ago, Lotus67 said:

Really really really great job!

This is my first post here! With the new upgrade of NAA player on my ultrarendu, SonicTransporter I7 with roon server and HQPlayer linux embedded, working on the same machine, is upsampling flawless to DSD 512 even with the single phase polynomial filters and not only with the 2s. Even using the AMSDM7 512+fs modulator.

I've played an entire 5th Mahler Symphony upsampled from 16/44 to DSD 512 without any pop.

I used poly-sinc-xtr-mp with AMSDM7 512+fs and what a music!!!!!

Before the today update I could only do this with 2s filters and with some pop.

With this performance, SonicTransporter I7 with HQPlayer embedded and Roon Server, for the price, is a bargain.

Thank you Jussi and Andrew!

May I know which DAC are you using please? Thanks

1 hour ago, Lotus67 said:

Holo Audio Spring Dac Lev 3 using I2S input with the Singxer SU-1. 

I have the ST i7 from a week but I couldn’t imagine a similar result!

Thank you!  

1 hour ago, Lotus67 said:

Holo Audio Spring Dac Lev 3 using I2S input with the Singxer SU-1. 

I have the ST i7 from a week but I couldn’t imagine a similar result!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the ST i7. I have the same Holo Audio DAC and SU-1 and I'm seriously considering getting the ST i7.

I would be very interested to hear opinions of the ST i7 running HQPe compared to the Windows version of ST i7 running the desktop version.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

10 hours ago, diecaster said:

Your software for the sonicTransporter i5 does not come preinstalled AND enabled. If it did, we would not be having this conversation. It doesn't really matter how you intend it to be used. The simple fact is that I have to pay for it after the fact. In my 40 years in the computer industry, I can't think of any third-party software product that I bought or licensed that could not be transferred to another system if I chose to upgrade the hardware. The license was tied to me and 1 or more of my computers. The reason for this is that computer hardware is always advancing and people are always upgrading. I would never buy a software product that penalized me for upgrading my hardware. This is exactly what you are doing. 

I believe such option is available and that's the way I'd prefer it so that we don't need to discuss this.

If you send your unit to SGC for upgrade or fix (if it gets broken), the license key is refreshed to match the hardware. As long as the hardware unit is the same.

But as an example, I can buy navigation option for my car's IVI system (Volvo). Dealer will install it and activate the software module, the software option costs 1500€ - not including the installation work that would be charged separately. And if I sell the car and buy a BMW instead, I cannot transfer this navigation option to the new car. Not even if I buy another Volvo.

If it's a DIY server, you can talk to me about upgrades/fixes, I may refresh the key based on my evaluation, depending on how frequently you do it etc. But this is wrong thread for that.

10 hours ago, diecaster said:

In my 40 years in the computer industry, I can't think of any third-party software product that I bought or licensed that could not be transferred to another system if I chose to upgrade the hardware.

Windows 10 OEM versions. You can buy it from a computer shop, but once activated it is tied to the particular computer and cannot be transferred.

Another one is the electronics CAD I use, which is tied to hardware fingerprint just like HQPlayer.

Then there's bunch of music production software that uses USB key dongle for the license and that you can transfer. I considered that at one point, but because the dongle alone costs 150€ (for me) I didn't see it as a viable option because then I would also need to increase the license price for mailing those damn dongles around the world.

9 hours ago, diecaster said:

He might as well charge a $99 annual fee to use the software.

That has been one option in my mind too, but the price would be likely somewhere between 10€ and 20€ per month with one year minimum subscription.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, soares said:

I am afraid that I agree with the arguments put forward by Diecaster, despite that I end up buying a license (the 2nd one). In the future if I decide to move to an STi7, I will need to buy a 3rd one. Of course it will be my decision but I do not think it is much fair being a HQplayer supporter...

I'm a bit lost where you have all those licenses? The whole licensing scheme is built around the idea that you buy hardware with license. It is Embedded version. Like firmware for any other device you can buy like many of those countless streamer devices from various companies that use competing StreamUnlimited software inside...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, diecaster said:

You were attacking me personally and that has nothing to do with your position.  

1 hour ago, gsquared said:

Glad to hear you are enjoying the ST i7. I have the same Holo Audio DAC and SU-1 and I'm seriously considering getting the ST i7.

I would be very interested to hear opinions of the ST i7 running HQPe compared to the Windows version of ST i7 running the desktop version.

I can't say because I try only the ST i7 with the Sonicorbiter software that I own. Before, I tried the same configuration streaming to my Ultrarendu - Roon core and HQPlayer Desktop on the same machine - on an iMac I7 quad core and on an Asus Laptop I7 dual core running Win 10 pro (yes...I own all these HQPlayer licenses :)). Both can do upsampling to DSD512 with 2s filters but not with the single fase ones. Mac was sonically better than Windows, but consider the difference between the two machine (Mac is more powerful). But the ST i7 is way way better.

It is my opinion that a system like Sonicorbiter, created only to do this, performs better on the ST, using all the power of the 8 core i7 processor. Windows has lot of processes and tasks that will be unused for your purpose, if your intention is to build only a streamer setup and you can't use any optimizer for audio because HQPlayer will not work properly. Maybe a Windows based ST will be more flexible and you can install other useful application, but I doubt that can be sonically better than the Sonicorbiter based one.

I would give a try of the ST i7 with the SonicOrbiter and eventually you will be able to format it and install Windows.

27 minutes ago, Miska said:

Windows 10 OEM versions. You can buy it from a computer shop, but once activated it is tied to the particular computer and cannot be transferred.

The Windows 10 OEM version is significantly cheaper than the version that is not tied to hardware. Your model is the other way around.

47 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Saying my comment was ridiculas was a good start. Then saying I don't care based on some twisted logic is another. Show some respect or you will be bumped from this thread. 

I said the analogy was rediculous. What does a hardware DSP chip have in common with a piece of software that is not installed by default and you have to buy a license for if you want to use it? The answer is nothing. They are completely different cases. 

You don’t have worry about paying for new versions of HQPlayer if you upgrade servers. I do so I don’t think you are empathetic to the problem or my position. I am not being disrespectful...I am disagreeing with you. 

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Saying my comment was ridiculas was a good start. Then saying I don't care based on some twisted logic is another. Show some respect or you will be bumped from this thread. 

It would be doing those of us actually interested in audio topics a favor.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

23 hours ago, diecaster said:

I thought about buying HQPlayer for my sonicTransporter i5. But there is no way I am going to spend that kind of money on software that is forever tied to a piece of hardware. Why would I do something that stupid when server hardware is changed as often as toothbrushes??

Let’s hope for a 50% Black Friday sale or an offer before that ?

I will purchase. I already have the windows version. 

I was suggesting before half the price and double the profit to Miska, but at the moment he doesn’t agree. 

Anyway. I don’t have any problem paying for SW. But I agree with you. To expensive, and almost locked. Only almost, cause if your i5 need to be replaced, I think you will keep your license. 

But i5 never will die on you ?

I wish the free version could be extended to at least 2 hours or more. 

Comparing options almost not possible with 30 min. 

23 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Let’s hope for a 50% Black Friday sale or an offer before that ?

I will purchase. I already have the windows version. 

I was suggesting before half the price and double the profit to Miska, but at the moment he doesn’t agree. 

Anyway. I don’t have any problem paying for SW. But I agree with you. To expensive, and almost locked. Only almost, cause if your i5 need to be replaced, I think you will keep your license. 

But i5 never will die on you ?

I wish the free version could be extended to at least 2 hours or more. 

Comparing options almost not possible with 30 min. 

Yes, that would be great. I have no problem buying software. I just have a problem throwing money away which is what I would feel like I was doing if I were to upgrade my server. The funny thing is, I would be buying an ultraRendu if I bought HQPlayer imbedded. So this licensing issue is actually hurting @vortecjr .

11 minutes ago, diecaster said:

The funny thing is, I would be buying an ultraRendu if I bought HQPlayer imbedded.

If only you knew of the first class support offered (I do from experience), you wouldn't hesitate to buy a sonicTransporter + HQPe licence + ultraRendu

Just do it ! ?

6 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

If only you knew of the first class support offered (I do from experience), you wouldn't hesitate to buy a sonicTransporter + HQPe licence + ultraRendu

Just do it ! ?

This has nothing to do with support. I have a sonicTransporter i5, have had an ultraRendu in the past, and have an interest in HQPlayer Embedded. I think the sonicTransporter i5 has the horsepower to do all that I need with HQPlayer Embedded. But I can't really find out because the trial is too limited. If I buy HQPlayer Embedded and I found out that the sonicTransporter i5 does not have enough power, I just threw away the cost of the software. Because of this, I am unwilling to experiment so I am not buying an ultraRendu or HQPlayer Embedded. I'll just live with my current setup.

2 minutes ago, diecaster said:

I think the sonicTransporter i5 has the horsepower to do all that I need with HQPlayer Embedded. But I can't really find out because the trial is too limited.

Noted but how is 30 minutes continuous playback not enough to find out if the i5 has/doesn't have the power you need?

You will know within 60 seconds of trying each of the filters if it works or doesn't.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

I'm a bit lost where you have all those licenses? The whole licensing scheme is built around the idea that you buy hardware with license. It is Embedded version. Like firmware for any other device you can buy like many of those countless streamer devices from various companies that use competing StreamUnlimited software inside...

Juddi, you've been following closely this thread and we have already exchanged a couple of messages so I do not understand how can you be lost on the number of licences I got. As you know I have a licence on my old Mac and another one in my STi5, the last one being useless because  as I mentioned before my Qutest is not compatible with the HQplayer upsampling DSD256 and PCM768. Roon upsampling  is but the quality of the filters provided by HQplayer are far greater. So, if I would want to use HQplayer I would need to buy a 3rd license for instance to use on  STi7 configured for Windows. It's as simple as that. Now you could argue whatever you want but if it would happen to you I doubt that you would feel comfortable with the situation.

Thank you also for being available to be contacted by Chord. I will also send your contact to Rob.