IGNORED

SGC - sonicTransporter Series and Signalyst HQPlayer 4 Embedded

3 hours ago, fmzip said:

Also, can filters be changed mid song playback like in Roon?

No, playback needs to be in stopped state to change filters, dithers/modulators or output rate.

3 hours ago, fmzip said:

Can anyone share a screen shot of HQplayer with how they have it setup on their i5? Trying to upsample to DSD128 and have no clue as to what goes in each box.

Not i5, but you could get started with these settings for DSD128 output, just output device settings according to your hardware:

Screenshot_2021-02-03_23-46-28.thumb.png.312ccdb6406384ae4c2a0707ab0c35f9.png

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, Miska said:

No, playback needs to be in stopped state to change filters, dithers/modulators or output rate.

Not i5, but you could get started with these settings for DSD128 output, just output device settings according to your hardware:

Screenshot_2021-02-03_23-46-28.thumb.png.312ccdb6406384ae4c2a0707ab0c35f9.png

Thank you. These settings worked for my DAC but the first track that I played which was 44k outputted to 384K, not DSD128. Did I make an error?

Capture.JPG

• 11 months later...
Just now, musicjunkie917 said:

I am using HQPlayer Embedded 4.28.3 on a sonicTransporter i9. I upsample everything to DSD256. Sometimes, on the main screen, it shows the filter as the one I am actually using. But, most of the time, it shows “wide” as the filter being used. Why? 

Because your source is DSD and not PCM.

See settings here:

989600501_Screenshotfrom2022-01-1705-51-59.png.72dca7424fb650c6f5a099e196e7a924.png

30 minutes ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Does that mean when I am upsampling DSD64 and DSD128 to DSD256 and I have the poly-sinc-ext2 filter set in both 1x and Nx, that those filters are not used and “wide” is used instead?

Yes, exactly. You are upsampling DSD with "wide" converter. 1x and Nx filters are for oversampling PCM sources.

On 1/16/2022 at 8:41 PM, Miska said:

Yes, exactly. You are upsampling DSD with "wide" converter. 1x and Nx filters are for oversampling PCM sources.

Ok. What is the difference between the "wide" and "narrow" converts and how might using one or the other affect the sound?

Also, what is the between the various integrator options? When would we want to chose one other than the default? Which one do you use and why?

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Ok. What is the difference between the "wide" and "narrow" converts and how might using one or the other affect the sound?

It only affects how wide frequency area is considered to be audio signals. It shouldn't actually make any real difference to the sound, but I wasn't able to make up my mind which one to choose. So I left both there as options.

34 minutes ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Also, what is the between the various integrator options? When would we want to chose one other than the default? Which one do you use and why?

This affects the sound more. Since "Nyquist" frequency of DSD sampling rates is pretty high (half of the sampling rate), most of it is not occupied by audio signals. Then some certain range of that bandwidth is considered to be audio signals. Different integrators have different frequency response in terms of audio vs noise bandwidth.

IIR ones are the most regular type. "IIR" matches SACD specification, for DSD64 considering 50 kHz usable bandwidth. "IIR2" considers 25 kHz for DSD64. And "IIR3" 30 kHz for DSD64 and assuming high order modulator for the source. Every time source rate is doubled, these frequencies are doubled as well. Generally, I would recommend to get started with either IIR or IIR2.