IGNORED

PlayClassics TRT v3.0 sneak preview

Thanks Ricardo, I am glad to be back :)

most of you who already know about this project are probably wondering why we went through the trouble of developing a new version. Allow me to use our little sketches to try to explain why we thought this step was necessary.

Ok, so ideally we would like to have something like this:

5a9c5132b4360_Idealcal_area.thumb.png.3c7079a56ac849bb3eb95b58660e295e.png

The orange area would be the "calibrated area" of the stage. That would mean that the setup would be prepared to transparently capture the tone of any instrument within that area.

Our old piano was placed somewhere within this area like this:

5a9c52a17fbf3_Oldpianocal_area.thumb.png.e5038d25b07648a23729c029a73bc5a3.png

We wanted the piano to sound as transparent as possible, so we adjusted the calibration as much as we could. The more we adjusted, the more we narrowed the calibrated area to the position of the piano. So by the time we had our TRT calibration v2.0 we had something like this:

5a9c544408797_TRTv2.0cal_area.thumb.png.bfa9a6e56bb7a44d37500762804eec86.png

This calibration worked wonders for the piano. But take a look at what happened when we used other instruments:

5a9c55153a427_TRTv2.0camera.thumb.png.0e3305689ec03f235f6507d652dff612.png

This other instruments (the drums, the winds, the flamenco singer and guitar and a possible string quartet) will lay outside of the calibrated area. They will still sound good but the results may not be optimal.

That is the problem we were trying to solve by developing this new calibration v3.0.

So this time we place the new piano in a new position like this:

5a9c56725ec86_Newpianocal_area.thumb.png.506f49fcf2ca281070d90ef06f0fac19.png

We then worked on our calibration until we got the most transparent result possible. By the time we finished we had something like this:

5a9c572fa8e4b_TRTv3.0cal_area.thumb.png.1a028caa2b82b0903e9d1e1afb075ecd.png

This configuration results in a smaller calibrated area, but even though it is smaller we are still able to fit other instruments too:

5a9c5993afb8f_TRTv3.0camera.thumb.png.6885a039d1a836accdd9bf40731fc749.png

A smaller calibrated area allows us to be more precise resulting on more transparent results plus being able to fit other instruments within this area allows those instruments to benefit from the same results.

Mario Martínez

Recording Engineer and Music Producer

Play Classics, classical music at its best

1 minute ago, Mario Martinez said:

Thanks Ricardo, I am glad to be back :)

most of you who already know about this project are probably wondering why we went through the trouble of developing a new version. Allow me to use our little sketches to try to explain why we thought this step was necessary.

Can we still use the "old" calibration file to set the listening level?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Just listening to solo piano. Amazingly natural sounding.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi Danny, thanks for listening.

I am glad you like it :)

The purpose of doing this new calibration was not so much to improve the sound of the solo piano but to guarantee that we would get those same results across all other instruments when recording chamber music.

Have you had a chance to listen to the quintet and/or the drums?

I am really interested to see what your think about the new version of the drums since that is a recording we can use to compare v2.0 vs v3.0. If everything went right that recording should show a significant improvement.

Mario Martínez

Okay, Mario - just downloaded the quintet and the drums.

Here's my quick reaction:

Quintet: the sound of the quintet is of a group - 5 people playing together. That's how it should sound, but in many "quality" recordings what you get is the sound of 5 instruments separated by so much "air" that it almost doesn't seem they are playing in the same space. This is the opposite of that, and sounds much more like what a real performance sounds like. Each instrument is clearly defined, but it sounds like they are all together. 

Drums - Very real sounding. The dynamic range isn't pumped up, so I need to turn the volume above what I'd normally listen to to get it to a "realistic" level. That's a good thing. 

The transients are very sharp (not overdone, but real sounding).

I'm most impressed by the bass drum. It has a "thump" to it that is very solid and sounds like the real thing. I think it is the best bass drum sound I've had in my room. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi Danny,

thank you very much for your feedback.

I did think the old calibration had some issues (otherwise we would have not gone through the trouble of making a new one) but you are really not aware of how much the results are affected by those issues until you hear them resolved and I think this drums recording does just that. I was surprised myself when I heard that bass drum under this new calibration.

The good thing is that the quintet (or any other chamber music arrangement that fits within this area) should benefit from this results too.

Mario Martínez

Mario, for comparison do you have v.1 available for download still?  Until this morning I had only given the newest calibration files a cursory listen.  It would be helpful to establish further detail on how your recordings are improving so feedback is of greater value.

Just downloaded CD quality files.

Unbelievable quality, perfect!

So nothing wrong even with Redbook, if studio work on such level.

Thanks a lotI

iMac27 with 2 x SSD , Aqvox USB cable , Auralic Vega , McIntosh C2200 preamp , Bi-amped MC275 , Triangle Concerto , Velodyne DD15 sub , Custom Balanced Power Management , Supra Sword XLR Cables , Triangle Silver Loudspeaker Cables , Supra Power Cables

The Flamenco tracks are outstanding. No artificial separation noted. The voice comes from the left and the guitar from the right but they blend together exactly as they would in a small concert venue - evenly with no emphasis on the guitar.

Classical and flamenco guitar is so difficult to get right. On the one hand, you get wall to wall guitar (Christopher Parkening '70's recordings) or you get the far better narrow hallway sound of the Segovia '60's Decca recordings.

These tracks are perfect. For volume control settings, as you turn the volume down both the guitar and voice grow smaller and smaller together and larger and larger together. You can precisely tune in the natural soundscape.

I am also using these tracks for Audirvana+ pre-ringing adjustments since transients are so easily discernible.

The musical performance is outstanding as well.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Hi Mario

Much of the material is not what I would normally listen to, but it is all obviously very well recorded.

With track 1 of the Flamenco master recording (01 Flamenco 1 v3.0_master) it is VERY 3D sounding via my PC setup into Audio Technica W1000 headphones. However what really surprised me when playing using CPlay and ASIO was how much better the .flac file sounded after conversion to a .wav file. Rarely do I notice such a marked improvement. Before that, the voice annoyed me a little.

I also got the eerie feeling of HEIGHT with this track, although this may have been just due to using headphones.

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

If I'm seriously trying to evaluate SQ of something, I would never, ever play the compressed format directly - I always convert MP3, FLAC, etc into WAV first, to give the recording and playback chain the opportunity of showing itself in the best light ... the greater the potential, the more the most subtle factor may play a part.

18 minutes ago, rando said:

Hmm, will try batch converting the files to wav.  I've been using uncompressed flac for ripped discs lately, but there is no metadata to concern oneself with here.

I will not be drawn into another waste of time discussion with the usual Objective crowd, however, just how good .flac converted "on the fly" sounds compared with the decoded .wav or .aiff file, will depend mainly on how electrically quiet your computer is.

I.M.E. The quieter your PC is, the closer .wav and .flac sound to each other.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

9 minutes ago, rando said:

SQ was, as expected, better after conversion to wav.  

@fas42 maybe we could find a better thread to unpack why you think this as more beneficial than an uncompressed flac.

Do that, and be prepared to cop a lot of .flac (pun intended) from the usual hard line objective mob. ;)

The other mob will NEVER accept what you report hearing.

Let's leave any further discussion of this issue out of Mario's thread ?

7 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I will not be drawn into another waste of time discussion with the usual Objective crowd, however, just how good .flac converted "on the fly" sounds compared with the decoded .wav or .aiff file, will depend mainly on how electrically quiet your computer is.

I.M.E. The quieter your PC is, the closer .wav and .flac sound to each other.

Exactly ... a very ordinary desktop, using motherboard DAC, made this screamingly obvious.