IGNORED

Article: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

9 hours ago, FredericV said:

I already busted Hans for spreading misinformation. He is one of the key opinion makers and just takes their marketing BS for granted, copying it into video's and website articles.

Those who understand MQA's bit allocation, will know this is a lie:

image.thumb.png.bf3475fed1dbd3b535d6361600a4fd26.png

Good job on the refutation FredericV.

Listening to Hans, I get the idea that he's probably a nice guy and "means well". But man, talking about MQA like this and sitting behind him is his oscilloscope as if to imply measurements inform his claims / opinions is simply too much!

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

4 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

Now we know that no less than Faulkner and Hansen were PMing Atkinson for some time re: MQA. I get that JA thinks his personally recorded files sound better via MQA but it mystifies me why he dismissed the many criticisms out of hand (I'm too lazy to find the relevant posts on AA). Regardless, kudos to John Atkinson for allowing Iverson to dissent from his view.

Any idea when the McGill study will be finished and published?

I'm sure we're all waiting with bated breath for the McGill results.

However, I would not be surprised if we never see anything come of it other than the tease...

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

3 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

No, it is not even a thing. It's sheer nonsense.

Yeah, that's what I thought... Someone should let Hans know.

28 minutes ago, Doug Schneider said:

When I got deeper into this whole MQA thing and started talking about it with writers from other publications, almost all would get defensive, but the only thing they could use as their defense would be things like: "Well you know what Bob says" or "I think Bob knows more about digital audio" or "I don't know, Bob says" or some other derivation with the name Bob in it. That's all any of them had -- Bob, Bob, Bob. They also had interviews with Bob and mile-long quotes from Bob. The MQA website has "Bob Talks." It's all about Bob.

Meanwhile, you have guys like Rob Watts (Chord), Charles Hansen (Ayre), Mike Moffat (Schiit), Bruno Putzeys (Mola Mola, Hypex) and numerous others, not so much downplaying MQA as giving giving "sound" technical explanations why none of this is a good idea -- yet there words weren't given the time of day against Bob, Bob, Bob. Pretty foolish when you look back at the whole thing.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

For a product to be hinged on the "cult of personalities" - in this case of a single personality with subservient audiophile writers below him in the hierarchy is unstable. Loss of faith threatens the mini-pyramid and cannot be tolerated of course.

37 minutes ago, Doug Schneider said:

The problem in this instance is that the audio writers and pros who "fell" for that simple marketing tactic did so without questioning it, when they really should've had the chops to at least question it. They're not general consumers -- they are supposed to be above that.

Exactly why this chapter involving the romance between MQA and the audiophile press is so problematic. It is reflective of the immaturity and the naïveté IMO of many of those running the show as "journalists".

4 hours ago, realhifi said:

Difference is that everyone and their brother knew who Sam Tellig really was. Not what I’d call a well kept secret. As far as I know it appears Mr. Archimago’s identity is a mystery. 

Don't know if that's true (re: Tellig) since I never cared who the man was...

As Chris said earlier, from this site, I've hung out with Mitch @mitchco at the Vancouver Audio Show in 2016 (he actually posted on this a few pages back) and I've visited him at his beautiful home in the Sunshine Coast last year.

Notice that in many of my posts, I collaborate with others... They of course know who I am. It's always good to have others look over the stuff...

LOL, missed Mitch's comment above :).

7 minutes ago, crenca said:

@Doug Schneider and @ArchimagoI appreciate the irenic nature of your posts, but @wdw concern is not grounded in reality in that @John_Atkinsonhas already explicitly stated he is not here to engage the substance of MQA, or your summary of it, or any of the threads and purpose of forums such as this one.  He is here only to correct what he sees as misstatements of fact, and to occasionally advertise an upcoming article in his trade publication.  Remember, we (i.e. "audiophiles") are the product that he sells - we are units of manipulation in a game of confidence.  He has nothing to gain by a substantive discussion

In other words he is not really here at all - not in the spirit of the forum.  As he says, he only engages substance on his forum - his turf only.

Perhaps someone remembers which thread he says this in and post a link, not that it is really needed because every post he makes confirms the above, save for the occasional slip up...

Yeah, I hear what you're saying @crencaand hope JA changes his perspective on his intent in commenting here...

Nonetheless, I still wanted to present a comment on behalf of certain members of The Audiophile Consumer and Technical Union (TACTU) that hopefully reflects an olive branch of sorts :).

5 minutes ago, botrytis said:

@Archimago- does that mean you are going to be the TACTU president or technical advisor? Chris could do TACTU thru CA......

Thank you for a great technical article - @Archimago

LOL. No, I'm happy to let the politicians manage TACTU :D.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Who knew we’d hit 500 comments under an article about MQA :~)

I think audiophilia could get kinda boring once this brouhaha dies down. :)

Imagine how little discussion there would be and how slow it would take back in the day if we had to simply rely on print media and snail mail!

For those not already thoroughly saturated and looking for more MQA-related reading material in this drama, Jon Iverson's As We See It is up now... Make your thoughts heard before the 1st 100 comments are in and it spills into the next page. :P

2 minutes ago, crenca said:

Just got mine in.  Like I said, an "interesting angle" (i.e. the linking of lossy compression with "deblurring" being problematic).  Also, it was the trade publications and industry insiders who were bamboozled by MQA's PR campaign.  We here at the Consumer Audiophile and Technical Union were asking the hard questions about DRM/IP, monopoly, and rather "deblurring" is anything more than known art (leaky filtering, etc.) from the very beginning.   Will these Trade Publications admit their hand has been forced?  Not a chance... ;)

I see it man...

TACTU (The Audiophile Consumer and Technical Union) will need a "visioning" meeting after this to figure out what's next... :D

5 minutes ago, botrytis said:

We can ALWAYS discuss cable *DUCKS* :D

>:(

4 minutes ago, crenca said:

Count me in.  As my wife will tell you, I am "an idea man", a big picture kind of guy.  When it comes to the "doing" side of things, not so much...:D

Cool then. I think we've found the inaugural president of the Union. :)