IGNORED

Understanding Sample Rate

15 minutes ago, MetalNuts said:

It is not what we say who infringed or who copy.  We have a judicial system in place and we have to trust and rely on it.  I am just a normal citizen in a civilized place so I have to abide by law and trust the law in deciding who is right and who is wrong.  The conclusion is Linn has the patent and it is the other who infringed.  You have tried to deceived others the other way round.

Linn Engineering was just one of hundreds of small  engineering  contractors, it did all sorts of 'small works' for other people.  The   'established' turntable manufacturer happened to be nearby so chose Linn Engineering.  Linn Audio didn't even exist until they copied the turntable. FACT

BTW: Their famous 'Isobarik' speaker was made from an 'off the shelf'  KEF drivers/crossover  kit you could buy retail in any decent electronic parts shop, though presumably Linn did not buy it 'retail'. They put one of the drivers on the top to use up a part of the kit  they would not have  otherwise used.

You are either arguing for the sake of it or you have another agenda. Goodbye on this.

10 hours ago, mansr said:

It's tiresome nonetheless.

Do  surgeons, the guy who's  driving  the airplane, etc. get all this 'noise' from amateurs who  incorrectly think they can do it better?

As it happens I'm a part-time flying  instructor based at Upham/CAA examiner (low pay but as an examiner the expenses are good and you get to see other places). Which is an almost  'casual' result of having flying as a hobby for many years and a  wish to 'further' my experience.

"Off you go then, I'm getting out"

11 hours ago, sandyk said:

I am well aware of the Forum's requirements, however it appears to be quite O.K. to ridicule and insult both myself and M.C. at every opportunity.

Is it any wonder why we rarely see informative posts any more by leading industry figures ,?

Sandyk,

I just picked your above post at random so I could 'reply' to you. Don't read anything into it.

Thought you might find this of interest:

One of 'our' latest computers. It may look like something out of Babbage's workshop but it isn't.  It  has a very strong potential to render all other computers as obsolete as the slide rule.  And 'we'  have already increased its power tenfold since September 2017.

IBM-5-qubit-computer-with-cooler-630.jpg

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

Copying is permissible unless prohibited by copyright, patent, or trademark. That makes those things relevant.

Not to Linn Engineering (Linn Audio didn't exist)  copying  an earlier and still current  turntable they made some parts for under contract, which was the subject at the time. 

They  made a few, advertised them  in Hifi News and  Record Review, and maybe in other places, under their newly created 'subsidiary's name,  and called it the Linn Sondek (or LP12, I can't recall which)..

The two were identical in every resect except Linn machined some grooves in the wooden base.

18 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Sandyk,

I just picked your above post at random so I could 'reply' to you. Don't read anything into it.

Thought you might find this of interest:

One of 'our' latest computers. It may look like something out of Babbage's workshop but it isn't.  It  has a very strong potential to render all other computers as obsolete as the slide rule.  And 'we'  have already increased its power tenfold since September 2017.

IBM-5-qubit-computer-with-cooler-630.jpg

Looks impressive. But what we really wanna know is "How does it sound?"

And how long it takes to burn-in...

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

11 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Not to Linn Engineering (Linn Audio didn't exist)  copying  an earlier and still current  turntable they made some parts for under contract, which was the subject at the time.

Unless those parts were covered by patent or copyright, they did nothing legally wrong.

30 minutes ago, semente said:

Looks impressive. But what we really wanna know is "How does it sound?"

And how long it takes to burn-in...

It makes a slight bubbling noise and gives off 'steam'. Takes a real long time to 'switch' on. The bits can be zero, one, or both.

It  does everything instantly,  as far as we can tell from our 'less then perfect' measurements. Burn in included :)

Just now, mansr said:

Unless those parts were covered by patent or copyright, they did nothing legally wrong.

Maybe not, it was never decided. But I don't want a Scottish copy of a Rolls-Royce either, I would rather have the original  German one. made in a bunker at Goodwood. The Germans seem   notably fond of bunkers.

27 minutes ago, mansr said:

Even if they did copy a non-patented design, I presume.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Bowers & Wilkins?

Musical Fidelity? Still make some units in the UK, I think.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, Spacehound said:

Linn Engineering was just one of hundreds of small  engineering  contractors, it did all sorts of 'small works' for other people.  The   'established' turntable manufacturer happened to be nearby so chose Linn Engineering.  Linn Audio didn't even exist until they copied the turntable. FACT

BTW: Their famous 'Isobarik' speaker was made from an 'off the shelf'  KEF drivers/crossover  kit you could buy retail in any decent electronic parts shop, though presumably Linn did not buy it 'retail'. They put one of the drivers on the top to use up a part of the kit  they would not have  otherwise used.

You are either arguing for the sake of it or you have another agenda. Goodbye on this.

What is the point of saying Linn was just one of hundreds of small engineering contractor?  Are you implying the law only protected those big enough company? 

A registered patent is a patent and the size of a company is not a factor.  Infringement is infringement! You wrongly presented that Linn copied others in the turntable and the fact shows to the contrary and you refused to accept that you were wrong.  I would take it for granted that you did not remember the facts well initially but the truth seems that no matter what fact is before you, you still maintain your view that Linn copied the other, that is malicious accusation.

Good bye to you and you are not a trustworth person to talk to at all, and you have no moral or ethics of whatever profession.  

MetalNuts

30 minutes ago, MetalNuts said:

What is the point of saying Linn was just one of hundreds of small engineering contractor?  Are you implying the law only protected those big enough company? 

A registered patent is a patent and the size of a company is not a factor.  Infringement is infringement! You wrongly presented that Linn copied others in the turntable and the fact shows to the contrary and you refused to accept that you were wrong.  I would take it for granted that you did not remember the facts well initially but the truth seems that no matter what fact is before you, you still maintain your view that Linn copied the other, that is malicious accusation.

Good bye to you and you are not a trustworth person to talk to at all, and you have no moral or ethics of whatever profession.  

I don't imply stuff, I post it.  Seeing that part  I didn't read the rest.

1 hour ago, MetalNuts said:

What is the point......etc

Try this.

My only error is that Ivor Tiefenbrun's father's company was called  "Castle Precision Engineering" not "Linn Engineering":

"what is undisputed is
that Hamish Robertson, the founder of Ariston, designed the Ariston
RD11 in 1971, and contracted Castle Precision Engineering to machine
the critical tight tolerance tapered shaft and bearing assembly that
is key to the superb results of both the Ariston and the Linn.  In
1973, just 2 years after it had begun, Hamish Robertson left the
company he founded after it was taken over by Dunlop. Within a year,
Ivor Tiefenbrun (the son of the owner of Castle Engineering) debuted a
new company and a new turntable design that looked – interior part for
part – like an exact replica of the Ariston RD-11 turntable with a few
cosmetic changes.

The February 1973 Hi-Fi News & Record Review, Linn announced