IGNORED

Understanding Sample Rate

13 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

>>> DAC can be able provide lesser distortions for mode 192 kHz/24 bit/PCM than for 96 kHz/24 bit/PCM.
Therefore, conversion of audio file resolution to 192 kHz/24 bit/PCM is recommended for playback at the DAC.

I checked out your site briefly, and it is very interesting to me, but I see your English is not so well.  It may make sense to find a friend that can update your site with better English...just a thought...It may help you gain sales.

It's a  whole lot better than your Russian, gospodin.

Anyway, Trump's bought his entire stock.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Just like many earlier amplifiers couldn't handle SACD artifacts,(even burning out!)  so they dumbed down the upper frequency capability of SACD ? 

After that, I guess they no longer needed those nice Sony 100kHZ tweeters that were released for SACD.

This sounds like revisionist history.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

17 minutes ago, esldude said:

This sounds like revisionist history.  

Unfortunately, it's fact, and apparently forgotten  by many 9_9.

There were quite a few reports of amplifiers not being able to handle the fairly high level residual HF artifacts.

I went very  close to ordering a Sony 100K tweeter back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

There were quite a few reports of amplifiers not being able to handle the fairly high level residual HF artifacts.

This thread may be of interest:

http://sa-cd.net/showthread/31197//y?page=first

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

2 hours ago, mansr said:

Martin Colloms isn't exactly trustworthy, but I'll check it again.

"... the usual phase response of a shared converter player was shown. This produced a negligible phase difference at low and middle frequencies, rising to a maximum of 71 degrees at 20 kHz. As yet this has not been confirmed as being of any audible importance, unless the channels are mono-ed. ..."

- HFN&RR, March 1985.

I don't have the rest of the issue, so I could be wrong about the tester being Martin.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Martin Colloms isn't exactly trustworthy, but I'll check it again.

He is at least as trustworthy as you are, :Pand far more well known than an anonymous E.E. like yourself.

This means that he will have had his work far more peer reviewed than you have had..

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

28 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

This thread may be of interest:

http://sa-cd.net/showthread/31197//y?page=first

I found the attached on p.2 of your link of interest as it agrees with my own experiences in this area.

Even with severe hearing damage in the audible range you may still have the ability to perceive ultrasonic frequencies which we DO NOT perceive as "sound". Even young children cannot here above 25kHz, yet according to Prof. Johnson's research at Pacific Microsonics and others even though we cannot hear ultra-sonic frequencies as sound we do respond to frequencies up to 80kHz and notice when they are removed. In other words ultra-sonic frequencies are processed by our brains and effect the frequencies that we do hear.

Ultra-sonic research is helping deaf people to "hear" by shifting speech into the ultrasonic region where they can perceive it. Here are some links to the research

http://www.google.com/search?q=ultrasonics+and+the+hearing+impaired&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I found the attached on p.2 of your link of interest as it agrees with my own experiences in this area.

I'd be interested in reading Prof. Johnson's research. The Google search you linked to appears to be more about hearing damage from exposure to high frequencies. 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

On 21/02/2018 at 9:26 AM, mansr said:

Yes, DSD256 is better still.

Any issues with increasing clock phase noise, as you go to DSD256 and then higher to DSD512?

I guess it depends on the clock used of course but do we know about clock phase noise performance of the iFi micro DACs? @jabbr 

I do agree DSD512 to the iDSD sounds nice though.. but are we liking something technically 'bad'? Nothing wrong with this of course.

4 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I checked out your site briefly, and it is very interesting to me, but I see your English is not so well.  It may make sense to find a friend that can update your site with better English...just a thought...It may help you gain sales.

Thank you for feedback. You are right about English level. I hope, the level of latest articles is above level of first ones :)

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

We've been down this road before.  The first Sony player like others was 3db down at 40 khz rolling off steeply above that. Many rolled at 35 khz.  A few had extension to 50 khz.  The 100 khz thing was never realized.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, audiventory said:

Thank you for feedback. You are right about English level. I hope, the level of latest articles is above level of first ones :)

I don't know how good the google translators are, but i wonder if you write in your own language and convert it using google if it will be easier to follow...probably not, but just a thought.

i am curious about your ripper though...will look into more.

5 hours ago, Don Hills said:

"... the usual phase response of a shared converter player was shown. This produced a negligible phase difference at low and middle frequencies, rising to a maximum of 71 degrees at 20 kHz. As yet this has not been confirmed as being of any audible importance, unless the channels are mono-ed. ..."

- HFN&RR, March 1985.

I don't have the rest of the issue, so I could be wrong about the tester being Martin.

The Colloms never says anything critical . The  'industry' is his source of income.

70 degrees is a whole lot,  and he carefully avoids telling us what it was at 15KHz or so where it will be more noticeable..

3 hours ago, audiventory said:

Your English is fine.  'Understandable'  is all that's needed.

(As  an English  person living in England  I think the American's is  not so 'perfect' either.)

4 hours ago, esldude said:

We've been down this road before.  The first Sony player like others was 3db down at 40 khz rolling off steeply above that. Many rolled at 35 khz.  A few had extension to 50 khz.  The 100 khz thing was never realized.  

That is not my recollection. Do you remember the reports of the initial players causing quite a few amplifiers to burn out , and the availability of the special Sony stand alone Super tweeters with up to 100kHZ bandwidth ?

I do ! 

The SACD format is capable of delivering a dynamic range of 120 dB from 20 Hz to 20 kHz and an extended frequency response up to 100 kHz, although most currently available players list an upper limit of 70–90 kHz,[22] and practical limits reduce this to 50 kHz.[17] Because of the nature of sigma-delta converters, one cannot make a direct technical comparison between DSD and PCM. DSD's frequency response can be as high as 100 kHz, but frequencies that high compete with high levels of ultrasonic quantization noise.[23] With appropriate low-pass filtering, a frequency response of 20 kHz can be achieved along with a dynamic range of nearly 120 dB, which is about the same dynamic range as PCM audio with a resolution of 20 bits.[citation needed]

3 minutes ago, semente said:

Come on, most systems struggle to reproduce the audible band with reasonably high accuracy and people are worried about ultrasounds?

Talk about misplaced objectives...

This had nothing to do with accuracy. The initial SACD players had fairly high level ultrasonic artifacts due to inadequate filtering, which some amplifiers didn't like, and burnt out tweeters, as well as in some cases burning out too !

45 minutes ago, sandyk said:

This had nothing to do with accuracy. The initial SACD players had fairly high level ultrasonic artifacts due to inadequate filtering, which some amplifiers didn't like, and burnt out tweeters, as well as in some cases burning out too !

I think that some of HQPlayer's noise shapping settings also produce very high level noise which may cause problems with hard-dome tweeters and wide-band transistor amplifiers.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

He is at least as trustworthy as you are, :Pand far more well known than an anonymous E.E. like yourself.

This means that he will have had his work far more peer reviewed than you have had..

When all else fails........

Trustworthy? It's how The Colloms   makes his money. Well known?  His dog knows him but the Beatles he ain't.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

That is not my recollection. Do you remember the reports of the initial players causing quite a few amplifiers to burn out , and the availability of the special Sony stand alone Super tweeters with up to 100kHZ bandwidth ?

I do ! 

No I don't.  I remember and you can still look up stereophile and other's measures of the players.  50 khz is it.

4 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

We've got some  special forces too. Here's two of them at Paul Hines cottage getting the Iranian guy's power supply money back  to enhance 'friendly trade'.maxresdefault.jpg

I thought you were going to mention the New Forest task force...

IMG_20180220_175343567.thumb.jpg.60f4b1838cf1f81732abf2cfe05a5b6b.jpg

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)