2 hours ago, barrows said:

There is no technical reason to say that galvanic isolation of the USB is a detriment to sound quality, quite the opposite is true.

What makes you say that?  Seems to me it was a big deal with Uptone on the ISO Regen.  Definitely a big deal to SOtM and their wanting to avoid it using filters.  Although I will admit it doesn't seem to effect the 2Qute in my setup.  But then again, I have no way to compare without.

My understanding is that it causes jitter that needs to be corrected?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Isolated USB inputs inside a DAC are a completely different thing than an ISO regen. They are a good things and when done right only will improve sound quality (that is why they are used).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

8 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Yes, for mobility driving the speakers direct, H2 is the one.  All desktop mode is for the H2, is for charging mode, the batteries won't be fully charged and are trickle charged to maintain optimum charge level for operation of the H2 and battery life.  

Another advantage to the H2 over the Qutest is no galvanic isolation.  In the case of driving the speakers direct with the H2, it is not needed and possible would be a detriment to SQ.  The only thing I don't like is, from my understanding, that the H2 needs to see the 5V from the USB input, to power up, wish that wasn't so, unnecessary.  I also don't like the micro input, wish it was full USB 2.0.  

The H2 is more ideal than the Qutest for driving speakers direct for greater power output and remote digital control, just over 1 W, perfect for the Omegas.  

The big one is the batteries in the H2, my experience has been that they are a limiting factor to SQ and that a quality linear power supply would be superior???  You have the H2, Mozes?  Test it out.  I would love to be told differently.  Then I would maybe go H2 route for upgrade.

I have the H2 and I love it!

it drives the Omegas with ease. I agree with you, I hate the micro usb input, it is just not robust. The only comparison I can do is with Dave, but that’s not fair for H2 as the Dave has double the power at 2W. I just read Rob Watts post on Headfi that the batteries are not bypassed in desktop mode. 

2 hours ago, barrows said:

Isolated USB inputs inside a DAC are a completely different thing than an ISO regen. They are a good things and when done right only will improve sound quality (that is why they are used).

What if it's not needed because the USB stream is clean, would it then be a detriment to SQ?  

From all I read and from other companies avoiding GI, I can't help but think it can also be a detriment.  Thus no free lunch.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

2 hours ago, mozes said:

I have the H2 and I love it!

it drives the Omegas with ease. I agree with you, I hate the micro usb input, it is just not robust. The only comparison I can do is with Dave, but that’s not fair for H2 as the Dave has double the power at 2W. I just read Rob Watts post on Headfi that the batteries are not bypassed in desktop mode. 

Rob says that the H2 can operate without the batteries???  He would not get into how that would effect SQ, said it has not been tested for SQ and was adamant about not making this a feature.  Just said it was possible to ease the minds of those worried about the batteries going dead and any interruptions in service.  Would be curious what the H2 sounded like with a full robust clean linear power supply, would need 5V 2A.

2 hours ago, mozes said:

This is easy to do. I can plug my TP link battery bank. Up to 3A at 5V.

The only problem is you would have to remove the batteries, since they are not dead.  They are removable but I don't know how easy they are to access.  Probably requires opening up of the unit, which I'm sure your not feeling up to, nor would I.

6 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

The only problem is you would have to remove the batteries, since they are not dead.  They are removable but I don't know how easy they are to access.  Probably requires opening up of the unit, which I'm sure your not feeling up to, nor would I.

I won’t open up the unit as it is less than a week old :) but I can’t hear a difference between batteries only and when the powerbank is plugged in. This is great news to me. It makes sense as the batteries are still feeding clean power in both cases.

Humm, I'm thinking I could modify the USPCB for the H2.  Remove the USB B male and stick a micro A male in place, from looking at the pictures on Uptone website.    

13 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

if they added an enet port and a conventional look they would have something....

to accomplish what i think you mean, in addition to the ethernet port, they'd need to add a board with a cpu and memory and the software to allow it to function as a renderer.

basically, you'd end up with an auralic aries, or aurender, or lumin device.  of course it would be nice if those types of devices had as good a dac as in chord products.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
18 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

if they added an enet port and a conventional look they would have something....

dumb is all I can add to this suggestion.  It may be on the added mated device (To Go or whatever it's called) for those looking.

If Chord went this route, direct on the DAC, I'd dump them in a second. 

8 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

dumb is all I can add to this suggestion.  It may be on the added to the mated device for those looking.

If Chord went this route, direct on the DAC, I'd dumb them in a second. 

Of course you would...you have too much time invested in your current solution, and don't want to pony up for something you don't need.  Eventually all competitive dacs will have an enet port to support the "next generation" of streamer children....we can discuss again in 5 years.

Then again, if chord can remain a "champion" with their FPGA, they may never need to be competitive, but i just don't see that happening over time.

A quetest with an enet port, may very well be the end game solution that could win all the money!  Or better yet, with fiber enet optional module...i hope one day they will at least produce a product more conventional looking.

3 hours ago, jcn3 said:

to accomplish what i think you mean, in addition to the ethernet port, they'd need to add a board with a cpu and memory and the software to allow it to function as a renderer.

basically, you'd end up with an auralic aries, or aurender, or lumin device.  of course it would be nice if those types of devices had as good a dac as in chord products.

Agree...a Chord network player....wishful thinking!

2 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

Of course you would...you have too much time invested in your current solution, and don't want to pony up for something you don't need.  Eventually all competitive dacs will have an enet port to support the "next generation" of streamer children....we can discuss again in 5 years.

Then again, if chord can remain a "champion" with their FPGA, they may never need to be competitive, but i just don't see that happening over time.

A quetest with an enet port, may very well be the end game solution that could win all the money!  Or better yet, with fiber enet optional module.

Sorry, I don't see the advantage at all in going this route regardless of my system.  Besides Chord already has devised a wireless capability into their mated companion device with these DAC's, from my understanding.  Not something I'm interested in.  See Poly and 2GO.

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/poly/

2 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Sorry, I don't see the advantage at all in going this route regardless of my system.  Besides Chord already has devised a wireless capability into their mated companion device with these DAC's, from my understanding.  Not something I'm interested in.  See Poly and 2GO.

Yes, I have seen poly...they are almost there...i believe they will get there eventually if they want to play to the future of the defacto new standard of "network players".

If they could save some costs with a conservative case and build a single network player at a competitive price, they could be a winner to the next and future generations.

Yes, I have seen poly...they are almost there...i believe they will get there eventually if they want to play to the future.

Get where?  LOL, Chord is on the cutting edge, especially in the high end mobile device market.

I doubt their accounting bottom line is where they want it to be.

What?  Sorry beerandmusic, but I say your full of it and don't know what the hey your talking about.

7 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

What?  Sorry beerandmusic, but I say your full of it and don't know what the hey your talking about.

The fact that they even made the qutest (without batteries), shows they are expanding beyond the mobile market...i see a "network player" some time in their future...may not be soon, but eventually.  The entire industry will be moving that direction...like it or not.

3 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

If Chord went this route, direct on the DAC, I'd dump them in a second. 

Do you mean if a networked connection was the ONLY input?

Or you still wouldn’t support Chord if this input was added as standard in future, alongside existing inputs?

I see no advantage in having a networked connection on the DAC.  Wasted space, cost, let alone a potential noisy source.  Why add it?  It is not the panacea you guys think it is.  It has a whole host of issues concerning electrical noise and it's interaction with a DAC.  I'm not in the least bit interested in a companies products going this route.