IGNORED

AURALiC G2 series digital components (ARIES G2, VEGA G2 and etc) information

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, allhifi said:

In either case, a major faux pas that will hinder sales (and respect) significantly.

Why would he lose respect for this design decision? I don't see how you can tie respecting a person or company into a design decision like this. Nobody is forcing you to purchase the product. You don't like it, you don't buy it. It's that easy. 

I believe you may be a little melodramatic with this one :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, allhifi said:

By far, the best digital connection (bar none) is either of the ones referenced. Does that give him some credibility that either is not employed? A $4K Streamer without the finest connection ? Why not ? 

And thanks for telling me I "may "bypass" (not purchase) the product. Without your suggestion, I don't know what I'd do !

pj   

Wow. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

First a little internet etiquette, ALL CAPS means yelling. I'll assume you understand what an exclamation point means. Please keep this in mind when accusing me of being angry, while at the same time looking at your own statements.

On 7/5/2017 at 9:53 AM, allhifi said:

The decision  to offer models with no front panel operational controls is  incomprehensible.

Have "they" not learned a damn thing --or even experimented with/without these basic controls ?

I consider "incomprehensible" to be something on the order of using chemical weapons on one's own people (think Syria and Iraq). I consider the lack of front panel controls a design decision that some may not agree with. Fortunately there are countless other product from which to chose. 

Suggesting AURALiC hasn't learned "a damn thing" or that the haven't experimented with something is quite presumptuous. Unless you work there, you have absolutely no idea. 

On 7/12/2017 at 3:00 PM, allhifi said:

Yeh I know he wishes to sell his (non MQA) DAC along with Streamer, but fails to recognize that there are innumerous existing DAC's with these highly respected interfaces. And that not everyone will desire his new DAC --or wishes to invest in both at once.

Fails to recognize? Do you have a mole inside the company that's feeding you this information? 

I consider something to be "innumerous" is it is either 1. very numerous, or 2. incapable of being counted; countless. I'm willing to bet you could count the number of DACs with such interfaces in less than 10 minutes of Google work.

17 hours ago, allhifi said:

Next, you misread my statement, which read: " ...consumers expectations are so low for expensive equipment" .

And NOT, as you somehow read: 

... " Please show me data with respect to consumer expectations being low for expensive equipment." 

I asked for data to backup your opinion that consumer expectations are low for expensive equipment. Still waiting for this. All my experience suggests otherwise.

Moving on, you state:

" You are acting like the product police. If you disagree with a design, someone must be held accountable. Very strange to me"

What do you think sites such as yours are providing --a policing forum, plain and simple. And, a great thing at that I must add. As do, sharp-eyed/mind readers, and of course, we hope, the traditional audio rags.

Absolutely not. I have no interest in being the world's HiFi police and a place for people who disagree with a subjective design decision to come and espouse opinions as if they are facts.

CA is all about education. Educating people about technologies and products empowers them to increase their enjoyment of this wonderful hobby.

It strikes me how bent-out-of-shape (and angry) your reply, when all the G2 series had to do was OFFER these additional digital connections (IF FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN TO ENSURE GREATEST CONNECTION FLEXIBILITY) for greatest compatibility.

Many manufacturers believe offering the greatest connection flexibility decreases performance. I don't speak for AURALiC, just offering information to educate you, based on what I've been told by top designers. Standard HDMI (non i2s) is much more ubiquitous and would offer the greatest number of consumers the greatest number of options. You should really be arguing for standard HDMI if you are interested in "ENSUR[ING] GREATEST CONNECTION FLEXIBILITY."

Precisely why ALL (premium digital HiFi) should be offer consumers spending serious money all available connection options so at the very least, the purchaser himself can decide on which works best for him, and his particular product compliment.

Again, why stop at i2s? Why not add standard HDMI if you are truly interested in "all available connection options." I could list more connection options.

15 hours ago, allhifi said:

name one that states that either i2S or Word Clock (Wrd. Clk.) is, was and will continue to be the INFERIOR digital interface ?

I can't name designers in public. I suggest you ask some of them. They'll give you plenty of reasons. 

8 hours ago, allhifi said:

CA: A casual (i2S) perusing revealed the following (do take note):

X- " .. I2S skips the S/PDIF transmitter and S/PDIF receiver. I2S is actually a format to use internally within digital audioequipment. When equipment is interconnected via I2S, usually line buffers and receivers are specified so that it can drive the cable capacitance and reject noise. However, the drivers and receivers are not perfect, so there is still a small amount of interface jitter, but it's much less than with typical S/PDIF."

X- " ...I use I2S gear in both my main system (transport & DAC) and headphone rig (jitter reduction unit to DAC). The lower jitter of the I2S connection as compared to both AES/EBU and 75 ohm BNC connected S/PDIF has a smoother, glare free sound; I much prefer my gear hooked up with I2S. Kal Rubinson wrote an article years ago in the Audio Amateur on how to add an I2S bus to a CD player. I hope to someday convert a few of my other components. Fortunately, my transport in my big rig was already designed around the I2S connection."

Q) Could you explain a bit why it can bring jitter lower.

A) "It isn't so much that "it can bring lower jitter" as it avoids higher jitter.

When the clock is embedded in the digital audio signal, the likelihood of jitter increases. This can be avoided when the clock signal is carried separately from the audio, as it is with I2S or in some pro gear with separate word clock connections, 

For a decent explanation, see:"
http://www.anthemav.com/OldSitev1/pdf/i2Srev1.pdf

Tell me again CA, about the superiority of SPDIF ?
Or, rather why i2S or Word Clock should not be used (in a four-thousand dollar Streamer or DAC) ?
Much appreciated.
 peter jasz 

That information does nothing for me.

In addition, please tell me where I said S/PDIF was superior. I went into detail about how a single interface in a real product isn't superior. 

6 hours ago, allhifi said:

Hi uncola: Good points. If i2S (over HDMi) is not satisfactory, then certainly the Word clock signal (over BNC) should do the trick !

What interface are you suggesting be used in combination with the word clock, because audio is't sent over this interface?

On 7/12/2017 at 10:31 PM, allhifi said:

By far, the best digital connection (bar none) is either of the ones referenced.

Exhibit A

I believe you referenced i2s (HDMI or RJ45). Let's keep your above statement in the back of our minds for this discussion.

On 7/12/2017 at 11:46 PM, allhifi said:

... the lowest jitter interface extant ...

Exhibit B

I believe you referenced i2s (HDMI or RJ45). Let's keep your above statement in the back of our minds for this discussion.

... the superior (according to the designer's and listeners themselves!) i2S or Wrd. Clk. connections.

Exhibit C

Let's keep your above statement in the back of our minds for this discussion.

long-standing superiority of these connections (that Esoteric, Rockna, PS Audio, even the bargain basement priced Gustard X-20PRO and many others have offered EXPECTANT audiophile consumers for decades !).

Exhibit D

10 hours ago, allhifi said:

...These are esssential for the best clock/Jitter performance...

Exhibit E

10 hours ago, allhifi said:

...the standard shit-ball SPDIF...

Exhibit F

Continuing, you ask " You have 100% confidence in your opinions. Can you share what information you  used to reach your conclusions?"

What confidence am I espousing CA?

Please see exhibits A through F above. This is the crux of my argument. Your 100% confidence in your opinion that certain interfaces are the best, despite information I provided and information you could glean from additional research.

2 minutes ago, allhifi said:

BTW, a simple question: If you had to choose, would you consider SPDIF, or something else (for the best possible performance)?

pj

Which photograph would you purchase?

Photograph by:

1. Average Joe photographer with a 100 megapixel medium format camera. 

Or

2. Ansel Adams with a Polaroid. 

Now switch this to DACs and interfaces. I'll go with S/PDIF from the best designers over i2s from a lesser designer any day. 

Talking about technologies in a vacuum doesn't advance the conversation and can really misinform people. 

4 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Art is purely subjective.  Audio isn't.  People make it so but there is a direct correlation to measurements but most want to overlook that for many reasons.  

Perhaps my example wasn't clear. It has nothing to do with objective or subjective aspects. It was more to say that, in the hands of a talented designer, an spdif-based dac can out perform an i2s dac. Thus, the question about which interface someone would select, can't be answered in a vacuum. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/19/2018 at 1:07 PM, the_bat said:

This was more than ten weeks ago.

Did I miss it?

4 minutes ago, Bones13 said:

I seem to be missing a lot of promised reviews also. The Auralic support site is a bit scary to read, although I assume it is only people with problems that are there. The Lumin equivalent, the U1, is nearly twice the price, but does have a separate linear PSU. As Aurender is not supporting Roon, I am not considering their units.

Hi Guys - I had some extremely early versions of the ARIES G2 and VEGA G2 and ran into some issues that weren't representative of the product. For example, I had to send the VEGA G2 back because it wouldn't power up. Turns out the fuse inside broke. It wasn't blown, just broke. So strange. Never seen that before. I look forward to getting the G2 stuff back soon.