IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

9 minutes ago, rando said:

It cracks me up that despite making a special call for no Four Seasons almost every single one of us have posted one.  

This is a lovely composition after all. I actually listened to my Perlman version yesterday. All I have to do to enjoy it (beside being in the mood for it of course) is to forget I've heard it a thousand times.

I think Zen Buddhists call it 'beginner's mind' - not always an easy thing to do :D

5 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

But you don't mean..?  ;)

It may sound strange for convenient understanding, but all spiritual systems tell the same at the core. I could suggest you some reading on this, even though the truth is beyond written texts. Try Sri Ramana Maharshi's 'Who Am I'. It is very short and freely available online.

IMG_5449.jpg

On 9/9/2017 at 9:35 AM, sphinxsix said:

among others and I liked it a lot. Actually Spanish influences in classical music is the question and suggestions request for all of you guys. You can omit Jordi Savall recordings as I have explored his discography quite close not long ago.

20th century Mexico: music of  Silvestre Revueltas :

Homenaje a Revueltas

Ebony Band

MI0001096054.thumb.jpg.2d564e66da8cfe011a396155f2589c30.jpg

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=92345

Heitor Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras Nos. 4, 5, 7, 9; Choros No. 10

Michael Tilson Thomas/ New World Symphony

81hnOyQubWL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.dc10af2be1ee1696c43006a98e266495.jpg

...and if you like that sampling:

Villa-Lobos: Complete Choros & Bachianas Brasileiras

John Neschling,  Roberto Minczuk /  Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra,  Sao Paulo State Symphony Orchestra Members,  Sao Paulo State Symphony Chorus,   ...  

MI0002886053.thumb.jpg.4b0f51597697213f5bcbd96437c93bc5.jpg

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=225481

12 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

But you don't mean..?  ;)

..was a joke of course. I know a thing or two about Eastern philosophy and religion.

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Try Sri Ramana Maharshi's 'Who Am I'

Let me recommend the above mentioned Shunryu Suzuki's book then. I read it for the first time when I was 17 or 18. The language of this great man was so simple..

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

the truth is beyond written texts.

That's the basic assumption of Zen Buddhism too.

On 9/9/2017 at 4:44 PM, sphinxsix said:

This is a lovely composition after all. I actually listened to my Perlman version yesterday. All I have to do to enjoy it (beside being in the mood for it of course) is to forget I've heard it a thousand times.

I think Zen Buddhists call it 'beginner's mind' - not always an easy thing to do :D

Sorry, I guess I missed your request for no Four Seasons- I was going to suggest a recording that I think you would enjoy. Did you know that the Four Seasons is only the first four concertos of a 12 concerto collection by Vivaldi? The collection is subtitled "The Conflict Between Harmony and Invention." All of the concertos are worth listening to, so if you weren't aware of the other eight, you have new music to discover, along with the warhorses. If you don't mind too much, I'd still like to suggest the complete Four Seasons: To see what you've been missing, sample Track 13. By the way, if you do purchase this recording, read the PDF booklet while you're listening to the Four Seasons concertos themselves. There is an excellent description of what Vivaldi was trying to convey, on pages 7 and 8, such as the drunken hiccups of harvesters enjoying the wine in Autumn, and people slipping and falling on the ice in Winter. I think it will shed a new light on those over-recorded concertos.

Vivaldi: Concerti Opus 8, nos. 1 - 12
The Avison Ensemble
Linn Records
http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-twelve-concertos.aspx

I have another Spanish-themed recommendation as well, an Everest from 1960 on 35mm film- another legendary recording.
De Falla: The Three Cornered Hat (Complete Ballet)
Enrique Jorda, London Symphony Orchestra
http://www.hdtracks.com/de-falla-the-three-cornered-hat-complete-ballet-150358

Well.. I asked not to mention the 'obvious composition' (kind of 'don't think of a pink elephant' request I suppose) and I'm actually very glad so many of you guys didn't obey my suggestion!

I've just found and ordered second hand (quite cheap and cheap Telarc is a very good thing IMO) CD:

MI0001387123.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

and reminded myself some other 'unclassical' or classical in a different form 'Stagioni' like:

maxresdefault.jpg

Max-Richter-Vivaldi-The-Four-Seasons-Rec

Hence my question - do you have a favorite 'unorthodox' version of 'Four Seasons', guys?

Extremes - wind, snow, cold, rainfall, thaw and heat - are vividly experienced in Henning Kraggerud's interpretation of Vivaldi's The Four Seasons. Kraggerud manages to capture the climatic range experienced on top of the world in his music-making. And there's more - between each of the seasons.

Inspired by Kremer and Desyatnikov's combination of Vivaldi and Piazzolla, Kraggerud has included four of his own works in between the seasons. These compositions evoke different connotations and new angles through which we can experience the world's most popular classical work. Kraggerud's pieces both comment and contrast Vivaldi's moods - positioned as it were between the seasons, forming an eight-spoke wheel.

91g36yyubuL._SL1500_.jpg

Alt versions of 4 Seasons:

This record is one of Harry Pearson's TAS Super Discs.  Don't know whether it is on anything but vinyl.

Larry

Back EMI TWOX-1062.jpg

Front EMI TWOX-1062.jpg

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Another Four Seasons is the one by Astor Piazzolla.  We have heard it in concert a couple of times, paired with the original one.  There are several recordings with the pairing.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

@rando @Bob Stern You are more spaced out than I thought, guys ;)

6 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

I kind of like the Max Richter.

Me too.

6 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Also found this one interesting:

MI0004222876.thumb.jpg.e121e3c47bedc80986d346111b96c4a6.jpg

This sounds like a fresh perspective.

5 hours ago, rando said:

91g36yyubuL._SL1500_.jpg

The concept of this recording sounds very intriguing. Will definitely check it out.

50 minutes ago, astrotoy said:

Front EMI TWOX-1062.jpg

'Koto Vivaldi' sounds intriguing too..

49 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Update on Beethoven. Try an album with 5th and 7th by Manfred Honeck/Pittsburgh.

Thanks for this! I have to admit I'm not finished with Beethoven and Mahler yet. Will definitely check this one out too.

I will have very little time in the next days possibly weeks - I'm moving to the Netherlands, Amsterdam area (which actually is my dream place :) Hope everything goes well). Unfortunately I will have to leave my main system for at least some weeks. Just my old Sony headphones and the desktop. Hope I will survive this situation somehow. Thanks once more to everybody for their contribution. I'm not finished with classical - quite the opposite. I promise :)