IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

Dvorak is among great composers who didn't receive due attention in this tread yet (imho). Many know his New World symphony and Cello concerto, however he created a massive output of excellent music. Some additional recommendations may include all symphonies (box with Kertesz or more recent with Belohlavek, both are great), Piano and Violin concertos, string quartets (including famous American), Dumky trio, etc.

16 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Dvorak is among great composers who didn't receive due attention in this tread yet (imho). Many know his New World symphony and Cello concerto, however he created a massive output of excellent music. Some additional recommendations may include all symphonies (box with Kertesz or more recent with Belohlavek, both are great), Piano and Violin concertos, string quartets (including famous American), Dumky trio, etc.

+1.

Isabelle Faust, whom I normally don’t like, has a wonderful recent recording of the "Dumky" Piano Trio with Queyras & Melnikov on Harmonia Mundi.

The Guarneri's performance of the "American" String Quartet is exceptionally nuanced.

I love the 8th Symphony by Szell/Cleveland.  It was his last recording (1970), and it is surprisingly relaxed and subtle, not like Szell's usual brisk style.  24/96 remaster.

To the neophyte, I'd caution that symphonies 1-6 and the piano and violin concertos are considered a step down from the other works recommended by AnotherSpin.  Unlike many composers, Dvorak got consistently better with age.  I like the late chamber music more than the mid-period symphonies, such as the last two string quartets op 105, 106, the 2nd piano quintet op 81, the 2nd piano trio op 87.  

The Requiem is excellent for those who like choral music.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

On 31.07.2017 at 6:53 PM, rando said:

Which is why it bothers me a little how much I've liked the two albums of transcriptions for harp Lavinia Meijer has made of various works by Philip Glass.

Got them too and I agree - they're very good. There seems to be some nice compatibilty between minimalist music and harp - Simeon ten Holt's Canto Ostinato played on this instrument by Assia Cunega (one of two versions I've bought) is awesome too.

How about 'spiritual' music of 20th century, guys -- are there some other names worth checking out beside Pärt , Tavener and Gorecki.? BTW did you know that Pärt has been the most performed living composer in the world for five consecutive years.?

https://www.calvertjournal.com/news/show/5271/estonian-arvo-paert-listed-as-most-performed-living-composer

14 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

You may try Angel of Light or Cantus Arcticus. There is a recording of both conducted by Vänskä on BIS.

For me it's genuinly heartfelt music that is deeply rooted in romanticism. I like it a lot! Will get the BIS recording you recommended. Thanks!

Continuing the Finnish thread - some more recommendations as for Sibelius music, guys.?

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Seems that I have no choice - you guys just made interested in his violin concerto too :)

It holds place of honor as the most recorded concerto of the 20th century.  Hard to beat the performance I mentioned above but the AP reissue of Heifetz/Hendel has better SQ

9wmWKTs.jpg

After listening to more than a few cycles of Sibelius' symphonies I'd have to say few recorded all very well.  Karajan and Maazel are the easy answers a la carte for mature well tempered interpretations.  I think you might like the Kamu and possibly the Segerstram full cycles which lean more towards reflection on the body of work than thrills at every opportunity.

4956391-origpic-5d728d.jpg                                       0233098c93f45ce29e9fe4b6bf032f70cace89b7