IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

@AnotherSpin @Musicophile

Thanks, guys. I managed to stream it meanwhile. I didn't listen to Prokofiev. As for Rach 3PC - I tend to agree with you - she's IMO technically very good but somehow doesn't go as deep into this piece as some others (eg Argerich) do. As for orchestra - let's say nothing exceptional either. I think I already have a dozen of Rach 3rds and I can skip this one. Maybe I'll check Prokofiev 2nd some other time.

As with most things in my life a bicycle is involved somehow.  By chance I happened to be browsing the the site of a Czech custom bike maker.  Where I came across this graphic depicting the fact they harmonically tune their carbon tubes to the same frequency to avoid unwelcome resonance.  Make no mistake about this being a bike for the cobbles and field paths where breaking apart under force and vibration can be a concern.

9.jpg

I'd like to request a few suggestions for highly spirited performances that hold together with a firm hand; fervent nationality, peace, celebration, swinging the depths of human emotion, mountains, seas, winds, snow, wild animals, that which puts a song in ones heart.  Bands that haven't subsumed an amorphous overly polished sound.

3 hours ago, rando said:

Czech custom bike maker

Custom so I assume you didn't mean Czech 'Author' brand.

3 hours ago, rando said:

Make no mistake about this being a bike for the cobbles and field paths where breaking apart under force and vibration can be a concern.

There were quite many carbon mountain bikes though.

3 hours ago, rando said:

they harmonically tune their carbon tubes to the same frequency to avoid unwelcome resonance

This is really interesting. Adds slightly different dimension to the word 'tuning'.

3 hours ago, rando said:

Bands that haven't subsumed an amorphous overly polished sound.

You mean - pop or rock bands?

Festka, they do stock sizes but are among the few doing quality custom carbon road bike frames.  One of the better reasons for using it in bikes is dampening vibration that transfers through to the body causing fatigue.  Mountain bikes are for the mountains not flat fields.  :)

The international orchestral sound has been wearing thin lately.  A recording, perhaps a work unknown to me, which can grab me by the lapels and make me straighten up would be appreciated.  The Fitzwilliam String Quartet recording of Shostakovich 8th & 15th string quartets for example caught me off guard.  The Zinman/Upshaw recording of Gorecki's 3rd Symphony being another.  Both are too sad and memorial.  I'd like a few recommendations  for cheerier works and performances more on the order of pastoral scenes and unexpectedly riveting tales.

53 minutes ago, rando said:

The international orchestral sound has been wearing thin lately.  A recording, perhaps a work unknown to me, which can grab me by the lapels and make me straighten up would be appreciated.  The Fitzwilliam String Quartet recording of Shostakovich 8th & 15th string quartets for example caught me off guard.  The Zinman/Upshaw recording of Gorecki's 3rd Symphony being another.  Both are too sad and memorial.  I'd like a few recommendations  for cheerier works and performances more on the order of pastoral scenes and unexpectedly riveting tales.

An ability to be cheered or shattered declines with age. It is still possible to keep the vague and vanishing memories of impressions from the past but difficult to replicate the similar response to new and unusual. In any case it is inside rater than outside. 

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

What are your favorite Beethoven and Mahler symphonies recordings.?

It is very difficult to narrow down recommendations for Mahler and Beethoven. Too many great versions available. I would name some, mostly with better sound than archive (some of the greatest performances are very old and sound far from modern quality standards).

For a couple recent years I select for listening HIV versions of Beethoven most of the time. Overall, complete sets – Immerseel, Gardiner, Bruggen, Harnoncourt, Vanska, Jarvi, Haitink (LSO), Thielemann, new Rattle.

Mahler sets - Kubelik (Audite), Bernstein (Sony), Haitink, Tennstedt. Separate symphonies in addition:

2. Levine (Wien), Klemperer

4. Szell

5. Barbirolli

6. Barbirolli, Leinsdorf, Abbado (Berliner), Mitropoulos

7. Kondrashin (Concertgebouw) 

10. Rattle (Bournemouth)

Das Lied von der Erde - Horenstein, Klemperer, Walter

8 hours ago, Musicophile said:

For Mahler, Kubelik and Abbado are pretty safe bets, but I also like the Zinman Zurich cycle and, very well recorded, Ivan Fischer on Channel Classics. 

Zinman has good cycles with Zurich of Beethoven as well, I was a fun of it in certain time. And, Chailly's Mahler is very good. In fact, this is possible to spend years only for listening good Beethoven and Mahler symphonies current versions..) And we didn't touch historic recordings yet! 

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Zinman has good cycles with Zurich of Beethoven as well, I was a fun of it in certain time. And, Chailly's Mahler is very good. In fact, this is possible to spend years only for listening good Beethoven and Mahler symphonies current versions..) And we didn't touch historic recordings yet! 

Zinman's Berthoven can sometimes get a bit hectic, as he really tries to take Beethoven's metronome figures literally. That said, there are some great moments in the cycle. 

Chailly really wasn't on my radar for Mahler, will check that out. 

And with regards to historic (but acceptable SQ) Beethoven cycles, the 1960s recordings of Bruno Walter, Otto Klemperer, and even the young Karajan (EMI and First DG Cycle) are very much worth exploring. 

42 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

And with regards to historic (but acceptable SQ) Beethoven cycles, the 1960s recordings of Bruno Walter, Otto Klemperer, and even the young Karajan (EMI and First DG Cycle) are very much worth exploring. 

My interest in historic goes even further, I like Weingartner cycle from 30s, Furtwangler wartime recordings, etc.

20 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

I'm interested as well but find that before around 1950 the SQ typically is too much of a distraction for my musical enjoyment 

It may depend just on a habit, which may be evolved very fast...) And, when done, it may add or open a fundamentally different perspective. I love some modern versions of Beethoven Quartets, but when I am listening to pre-war recordings by Quatuor Capet or Bush Quartet I know this is profoundly different experience.

It may also depend on a sound set. I developed a passion for old recordings when I had a tube based equipment.

8 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

It may depend just on a habit, which may be evolved very fast...) And, when done, it may add or open a fundamentally different perspective. I love some modern versions of Beethoven Quartets, but when I am listening to pre-war recordings by Quatuor Capet or Bush Quartet I know this is profoundly different experience.

It may also depend on a sound set. I developed a passion for old recordings when I had a tube based equipment.

I´ll always make an exception for the Busch Quartett´s recording of Death and the Maiden.