IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

4 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I'm not sure it fits the "essential" label of this thread, but it is a nice album overall, and quite well recorded in 24/96.

A sentiment I have not payed enough attention to in my suggestions.  Thank you for reminding me to leave out immediate enjoyment in favor of solidity.

1 minute ago, AnotherSpin said:

I believe (when I choose to think) that one would imagine any form of the Earth he or she pleased and imagine any kind and amount of data to support his or her belief.

It's ok with me. Let's leave it like that, ok? What would be your next requiem recommendations.? (if there would be any)

10 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

It's ok with me. Let's leave it like that, ok? What would be your next requiem recommendations.? (if there would be any)

The two Mozart recommendations you have there are top-notch. If you want to go more old school and less HIP, go for Böhm.

8 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Well, I will try to find something interesting for me in almost any version of Requiem which I will be able to listen. I prefer rather minimalistic, clean approaches, that is why Suzuki and Herreweghe. Karajan, Bohm, Giulini all give more pompous or intense readings which may be attractive in a certain mood.

5 hours ago, rando said:

I'll remind you of the "Air on G String" commercial

I haven't forgotten it. Of course I'm not suprised it proved to be controversial. But this is a country that is controversial in its liberalism. And probably that's the reason why I think I am 'compatible' with it (the Netherlands). Yet I always visited 'the lowlands' as a tourist. I'm really curious what it's like to 'normally' live here. I live now in the apartment provided by the firm I work for so the search for a nice apartment (possibly with good living room acoustics - I'm serious :)) will come first. I'm afraid that my last living room's acoustics will be hard to beat though (irregularly shaped 36m2 loft room,, 4m high in its highest point, connected through a huge door with a kitchen and also with a long hall - check out the photoalbum on my prophile if you're curious). I used to say that the loudspeakers plus their interaction with the room make up for 85% of the perceived sound so IMO the room is really important. I'm already googling for a nice living space in Amersfoort (which is actually closer to my firm than Amsterdam) but I have a plan of moving to Amsterdam sooner or later. I just love the city :)

Best of luck finding a nice listening space.  I agree room acoustics are important in the long term for enjoying being at home.  

@austinpop I ended up coming home with a few Japanese Telarc Mahler discs today.  Seeing as this is your bailiwick I wondered if you would care to point me in the direction of a few other recordings of his works.  I have no idea if these two are at all recommended.   

0089408008122_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg     716WAmL2OzL._SL1070_.jpg

28 minutes ago, rando said:

@austinpop I ended up coming home with a few Japanese Telarc Mahler discs today.  Seeing as this is your bailiwick I wondered if you would care to point me in the direction of a few other recordings of his works.  I have no idea if these two are at all recommended.   

0089408008122_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg     716WAmL2OzL._SL1070_.jpg

I haven't actually heard the Slatkin 2nd, but enthusiastically endorse the Zander 9th. You should find a bonus disc in the package with Zander's explanation of the piece movement by movement. I found it fascinating.

I recommend all of Zander's Mahler on Telarc. He hasn't done the full cycle with them, only 1, 3, 5, 6, and 9. His recording of the 2nd on Linn isn't as compelling.

For the 2nd, Gilbert Kaplan with VPO on DG.

And then the entire cycle by MTT and the SF Symphony.

Unexpectedly I added the Boosey & Hawkes vocal score to Mozart's 'Don Giovanni' ,which was printed as a complementary addition to the London FFRR recording posted below, at a local library book sale.  It's nowhere near as nice as the hard bound version for 'Così fan tutte' I'm still waiting to receive.  Which has thrown need to seek out a different recording into my lap.  Recommendations are appreciated as always.

I have mostly dismissed the $10 outlay to secure this in favor of a good quality digital recording.

mozart-don-giovanni-krips-siepi-corena-4

Aha, I clicked "Show all versions of this work" on the Discogs page and the Decca CD popped up.  So I will get that instead of the 4xLP set.  

Do you use Google translate or do you speak English?  I will try to be more    simple in how I structure my posts.

Rococo prose, moi?  Your timing is excellent in following a friendly discussion of just that.  I quote from memory here, "You are probably as intelligent as anyone here, but you just try so hard to make everything [Bukowski reference should help you assign the correct expletive here] up."  It went on like this for some time to much laughter (and further instigation by me).  James Joyce, along with every disparaging comment ever aimed at him, figured prominently.       

Thank you for redirecting me back to the performance literally at hand.  If I develop a particular affinity for this work I'll be sure to scare up a copy of the 1959 Guilini or maybe even the quirkier Rene Jacobs staging.

We didn't discuss opera recordings in this thread much, probably because original poster wasn't asking about. I am not sure Don Giovanni is a good point to start for a novice. This is one of the greatest operas ever composed, but I would suggest to try something more accessible. From Mozart, Die Zauberflöte - Magic Flute would probably be a good entry. It was first Mozart opera I started listen to many years ago following the strong suggestion from Hermann Hesse (another literature reference). Long and frequent spoken parts may not be welcomed, but there are editions without it, as early Karajan with Elisabeth Schwarzkopf on EMI. I also believe some Verdi operas may be very good for a beginning, such as Rigoletto or Traviata.