IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

2 hours ago, rando said:

Now I'm confused.  Is there such a hard line between symphonic classical, which can include singing almost from start to finish, and an opera by the same composer?

Some people love symphonies and do not like operas. Other people like operas but are quite indifferent to symphonic music.

4 hours ago, rando said:

Now I'm confused.  Is there such a hard line between symphonic classical, which can include singing almost from start to finish, and an opera by the same composer?

There’re is no hard line, but only a few symphonic works include singing, so as Anotherspin said it’s a question of taste. 

Although I love opera, I personally still feel much more at home in orchestral music. 

23 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I do not have trouble to read, let's say, Charles Bukowski, but your posts language seem to be too much... baroque.

:)@rando You really use extremely sophisticated grammar structure. I too usually have to mobilize all my language skills to extract the meaning of your posts..(and I'm not always successful) :)

22 hours ago, rando said:

Rococo prose, moi?

Peut-être même Rococo ;)

11 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Maybe @sphinxsix should comment on whether we can do an opera detour here. 

Absolutely no problem with me. As I said in my very first post here :

' Derailing the thread in order to go into any specific details is welcome too! '

I believe I used to be the biggest threads derailler on CA myself.. I'm not interested in opera now but can't be sure this won't change in the future so an opera detour may be useful for me too some day.

BTW how do you guys create links like that on this forum?

On 14.10.2017 at 7:40 PM, rando said:

Are you referring to the record I posted, AnotheSpin? 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Nice recommendation! It covers almost everything. I can not recall immediately which essential recording or performer is missed here. Maybe two or three contrasting albums would be added, but the list is very fine by itself.

I'd be very interested in hearing your suggestions for the contrasting albums.

48 minutes ago, Bob Stern said:

Your impression of the mazurkas might improve if you try Rubinstein's 1952 recording (volume 27 in RCA's Rubinstein Collection issued in 2001).  It's much more varied and spontaneous than his stereo recording.

+1 re Zimerman's Ballades and concertos.

Don’t overlook the cello sonata, which is a late, mature work.  One good recording is Du Pre & Barenboim.

Let me check that early Rubinstein out. But overall it's just a style of music I don't relate that much to. Same for Schubert's Deutsche Tänze or similar works. 

On the cello sonata, I only recently discovered it on Sol Gabetta's recent Chopin album with Bertrand Chamayou. I have no comparison, but I quite liked that version, and very much the work itself. I need to check out more versions.

3 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I'd be very interested in hearing your suggestions for the contrasting albums.

Such as Perlemuter, Pogorelich, Yundi, Freire, Ugorsky, Pizarro, Gavrilov (last recording). It is not a substitution - you list is perfect, just to add some other recordings, which may sound non-orthodox to some ears.

Rubinstein - I think I like his pre-war Chopin recordings more than those from 50s. On the contrary I have very soft spot for his late Nocturnes. I had it an ages ago on GDR' Eterna LPs.

Thanks for yet another fantastic response, guys! Lots of names I'm familiar with as far as Chopin recordings are concerned - Pollini, Perahia, Pires (love her nocturnes, have to check out Moravec, any other suggestions.?), Grosvenor, Zimerman and Argerich (both were my choice as far as PCs are concerned too), Rubinstein, Pogorelich and Pizarro but also some to be checked out. @AnotherSpin As for: Perlemuter, Yundi, Freire, Ugorsky, and Gavrilov could you recommend some specific recordings.?

Thanks @sphinxsix for the inspiration, I just turned this question into a blog post:

https://musicophilesblog.com/2017/10/29/musicophiles-top-10-chopin-albums/

I also just noticed that DG has a truly outstanding box that combines most of my must-haves  into a 17 CD box, kudos to them.

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/7983107--the-complete-chopin-edition

28947784456.jpg?1467188335

24 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

[...] just noticed that DG has a truly outstanding box that combines most of my must-haves  into a 17 CD box, kudos to them.

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/7983107--the-complete-chopin-edition

28947784456.jpg?1467188335

Yup. At the going price, there is very little reason not to pick up the whole thing. I got the big silver box edition long time ago. Then they stripped the packing and cut the price in half to come up with this new version.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29.10.2017 at 4:04 PM, Musicophile said:

I just turned this question into a blog post:

https://musicophilesblog.com/2017/10/29/musicophiles-top-10-chopin-albums/

Great idea IMO. And as usual - great read. Let me thank you for the kind words about this thread too. The contribution of you all guys who recommended great stuff here is much more important than mine though.

As you've probably noticed, guys I've slowed down the speed of my posts recently. I've got little time and my audio gear (including hard drives) still isn't here in the Netherlands with me so I can just consider future music purchases (almost no free space on my laptop's HD). Fortunately I have my old Sony headphones with me (acceptable SQ) and a computer speaker borrowed from a friend (much less acceptable but I don't want to do investments in this field, I'm still planning to do my hopefully last upgrade of the amp and DAC). I've been actually thinking about the sound difference between $30-$50 computer speaker and my (IMO) great value $15k speakers (still suprisingly good after all these years!) and I think I've found a good paralell. It's like a difference between going to a nearby grocery store and a journey around the world :)  At least to my ears. Nevertheless I am able to enjoy music while listening to a decent cheap gear (with no obvious, disqualifying SQ artefacts) :). Music simply comes first (agree with @Musicophile on that)

Thanks again for your Mozart and Chopin recommendations guys! Lots of new, exciting performances!

I'd like to ask you about a composer whom I like a lot too but is much less well represented on my HD collection - Claude Debussy. Hope you aren't tired of this thread yet ;) so I can plan my future spendings and meanwhile - enjoy new, exciting music. And as usual - thanks in advance!

44 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

I'd like to ask you about a composer whom I like a lot too but is much less well represented on my HD collection - Claude Debussy. Hope you aren't tired of this thread yet ;) so I can plan my future spendings and meanwhile - enjoy new, exciting music. And as usual - thanks in advance!

Thanks for your kind words. 

And while you have your $50 Computer Speakers active this may be the ideal time to check out Giesking's complete recordings, as unfortunately they won't sound much different on your $15K speakers than on the current setup. But the playing is out of this world.

81CtNnHACEL._SL1500_.jpg

Slightly better SQ (but still mainly 1970 DG "piano in a shoebox" style), but again, outstanding playing, with ABM.

0002894153722_600.jpg

And if you prefer modern SQ and still outstanding playing, my personal favorite are the complete recordings by Jean-Efflam Bavouzet on Chandos, available in 24/96.

0095115174326_600.jpg

See also my review here:

https://musicophilesblog.com/2015/07/26/321/

Disclaimer: I'm really not a Debussy expert, so take this with a grain of salt. 

And you really will need to ask others for Debussy's orchestral works, I'm pretty ignorant there and therefore stick to my historic recording of La Mer with Reiner on RCA.

What are your preferred recordings for the following bunch of cello concertos:

28944741322.jpg?1464792132 ——— Dvorak

MI0000957257.jpg ——— Elgar

71SXha2Ly5L._SX355_.jpg ——— Prokofiev

R-8664442-1466177120-9516.jpeg.jpg ——— Schumann

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

22 minutes ago, semente said:

What are your preferred recordings for the following bunch of cello concertos:

22 minutes ago, semente said:

——— Elgar

This one. But I'm not an expert - checked out probably 2 or 3 other performances. Would love to get some more contemporary recording recommendation too.