IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

I've ordered selected Sibelius symphonies conducted by all three above mentioned gentlemen :)

Checking the other 20th century music recommendations.

Meanwhile - next question that's been inspired directly by this album posted by @christopher3393 on AotE thread:

MI0000969741.jpg

and may be a tough one. Can someone recommend some other folk/ethno inspired/connected early music.?

What I meant was local music influenced early music.

And BTW I asked earlier about Eastern influences in early music and found eg Marcel Peres and Ensemble Organum very interesting. Are there some other fine examples of classical music of later periods being influenced by Eastern (Middle or Far) music.?

As usual - thanks in advance.

@christopher3393 I have Gergiev/Kirov Sheherezade SACD (Reiner/Chicago being an alternative), haven't heard Antar though - to be checked out (just like Lou Harrison, haven't heard of him)

@AnotherSpin Thanks for your interesting as usual suggestions. Lots of stuff to check out - which is great. What compositions/recordings by Borodin, Balakirev, Delibes, Roussel,  Amirov and Radigue would you recommend?

@Bob Stern I like Jordi Savall a lot. I mentioned it on this thread. However I decided after reading your post to take much closer look at his (huge!) discography than I ever did. Took me 5 or 6 hours..  But I don't regret.

I've picked up 15 albums - out of which 10 are recordings strongly influenced by or representing let's say 'local' (ethnic) music (the two albums recommended by @christopher3393 included).

I didn't know that sources of his inspiration were so incredibly diverse - from (obviously) Spain through Middle East (well, I knew about it) to Far East and his collaboration with Japanese musicians, Balkan, Celtic and even African music (actually IMO the least interesting recording of all that I've checked out, maybe I just know too much good African stuff). And as much as I am not into eg Balkan or Celtic stuff - he performs it in such a soulful, heartfelt way that it simply gets me hooked in a moment or two. His Alia Vox recordings sound good too (at least the ones I have so I hope it's a rule) - the instruments and voices have 'body' and there is lots of recording venue reverbation or even echo.

A very (musically) exciting day - I can't recall when was the last time I picked up so much good stuff in one day. My credit card seems not that happy though..

For me this thread is really an exciting journey! Thanks once again for all your contribution and for the inspiration, guys!

9 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

@AnotherSpin Thanks for your interesting as usual suggestions. Lots of stuff to check out - which is great. What compositions/recordings by Borodin, Balakirev, Delibes, Roussel,  Amirov and Radigue would you recommend?

Borodin wrote some melodies of breathtaking beauty. I am pretty sure you know some of them - check Broadway musical, Kismet, it was "composed" on Borodin's themes. Tony Bennett performed a song from there often. Some of Borodin's themes are sampled by hip-hop artists as well. Nevertheless, Borodin's popularity on the West started much earlier, when Ferenz Liszt transcribed his first Symphony for piano. At least one piece of Balakirev, Islamey is quite popular among virtuosic pianists. If you were flying British Airways or saw Peugeot 407 ad you should know famous Delibes piece from Lakme opera.  Roussel composed some of his music after visiting India, Padmavati opera and suite, etc. As for Eliane Radigue, you may try Songs of Milarepa, with voice of Lama Rinpoche - not sure you will stay with it long, but you will have an idea.

On 17.08.2017 at 8:18 AM, AnotherSpin said:

Borodin wrote some melodies of breathtaking beauty.

That's true - I know his 'In the Steppes of Central Asia' from the above mentioned Gergiev SACD ( Balakirev's Islamey is included on this album too). His 'Polovtsian Dances' are even more beautiful IMO. Some performances suggestions, guys.?

As for Terry Riley - IMO his music is very interesting but my ears have a problem with digesting the quite primitive sound of his keyboards..

30 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

That's true - I know his 'In the Steppes of Central Asia' from the above mentioned Gergiev SACD ( Balakirev's Islamey is included on this album too). His 'Polovtsian Dances' are even more beautiful IMO. Some performances suggestions, guys.?

As for Terry Riley - IMO his music is very interesting but my ears have a problem with digesting the quite primitive sound of his keyboards..

Lot of authentic instruments sound "primitive" and this is exactly the reason I may like it. 

More Borodin: 

59 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

His 'Polovtsian Dances' are even more beautiful IMO. Some performances suggestions, guys.?

I have four versions in my library, and would recommend these two:

One without chorus, and a bit "rougher"

519odASuUJL.jpg

This is a very old recording by Ferenc Fricsay (I believe late 40s or early 50s) from a compilation bought in France in the 1990s, but can be found on some other couplings today.

And a bit more polished, recent (well, 1990), and with chorus:

0002894299842_600.jpg

On 8/10/2017 at 5:13 PM, rando said:

At least you didn't say Rattle for one of his cycles.

Please enlighten me on this. I heard many times Rattle is wrong but never was able to grasp the volume or color of his faults. I should confess I enjoy immensely some of his recordings with Berlin Philharmoniker. Should I go to hell immediately or I have a chance?

13 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

That's true - I know his 'In the Steppes of Central Asia' from the above mentioned Gergiev SACD

Gergiev is no-no unless you support Putin and his smelly circle, then it is okay. And, by the way, he is no exceptional conductor. Check out, you will loose nothing.

9 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

unless you support Putin

You know my attitude towards Putin. I expressed it on more than one occasion (although his politics don't affect me directly).

9 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Gergiev is no-no

I actually like his expressive interpretation of Sheherezade. And I know I'm not alone here.

And he's definitely better than Putin playing piano on the video I posted here some months ago, don't you agree.? ;)

14 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

You know my attitude towards Putin. I expressed it on more than one occasion (although his politics don't affect me directly).

I actually like his expressive interpretation of Sheherezade. And I know I'm not alone here.

And he's definitely better than Putin playing piano on the video I posted here some months ago, don't you agree.? ;)

I am not going to discuss Putin here, even though he affects my day life and my country directly. As for his friends and supporters, such as Gergiev or Netrebko, I was never able to enjoy their performances even before the war. Cheesy. 

Rattle no doubt has his own English colour with the stick (Feel the hair and see the stick! Together at last!)  To be fair here I was speaking exclusively of his Berlin Sibelius cycle.  Which as you noted was panned.  More specifically the recordings and how his interpretation has turned for the worst.  It fell flat and rightly gets passed over.  

It was a jab but not one I'm going to devolve into castigating his entire oeuvre through. :D

Screen-Shot-2017-01-19-at-15.49.26.png