IGNORED

My Questions and Answers (MQA): An Interview with Andreas Koch

45 minutes ago, Jud said:

I think the Xivero fellow is hypothesizing (of course no one knows for sure except the MQA folks) that MQA is using an apodizing filter at the recording/encoding stage to band-limit (not completely effectively), in to avoid some aliasing/ringing at the DAC end, since we know the MQA filtering at the rendering/DAC end is not effective to remove either of those.

I suppose we could see how effective any MQA recording/encoding process was at band-limiting by looking at the analog result on playback of a variety of MQA-encoded files.  (I'm thinking of MQA 44.1kHz files in particular, like Beyonce's "Lemonade.")

Main issue of comparison lossy formats is "threshold of audibility". Before all disputes on same topics ended without results.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Just now, audiventory said:

Main issue of comparison lossy formats is "threshold of audibility". Before all disputes on same topics ended without results.

Yes, what I was suggesting would not determine whether what MQA was doing was audible, either bad or good.  But since I haven't read anything that has been confirmed about the filtering at the MQA recording/encoding stage, I wondered if just examining the analog frequency spectrum of MQA 44.1kHz files on playback would show reasonable band-limiting in the upper audible and ultrasonic frequency ranges; and if we might guess from this that an apodizing filter was used in the recording/encoding stage as the Xivero fellow speculates.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

These are recordings off the output of a Meridian Explorer2, done at 192kHz. The HF bump is the combined modulator noise of the E2 and my ADC (a PCM1804).

Both traces are from the first track of Lemonade.

Red is the standard Tidal file, which plays at 44.1kHz. You see that the treble is cut off

sharply at 21kHz (which is a bit unusual for a modern recording, due to the use of half-band

ADC AA filters or downsamplers the spectrum more often runs flat to 22kHz).

Green is the MQA Tidal file, decoded by the E2. Again the treble cuts off at 21kHz, and rises again

above 23kHz. The part of the spectrum between 23kHz and ~36kHz clearly is an image of the baseband between and 8 and 21kHz. Strictly speaking, this is added distortion, and quite similar to the output of a NOS DAC.

From the Stereophile Mytek measurements it is known that the MQA replay filter is rather lazy and does not cut in below 22kHz, so it is not apodising at all, only passing along a lot of imaging.

Lemonade_192krec_gr_mqa_red.jpg

4 hours ago, Fokus said:

These are recordings off the output of a Meridian Explorer2, done at 192kHz. The HF bump is the combined modulator noise of the E2 and my ADC (a PCM1804).

Both traces are from the first track of Lemonade.

Red is the standard Tidal file, which plays at 44.1kHz. You see that the treble is cut off

sharply at 21kHz (which is a bit unusual for a modern recording, due to the use of half-band

ADC AA filters or downsamplers the spectrum more often runs flat to 22kHz).

Green is the MQA Tidal file, decoded by the E2. Again the treble cuts off at 21kHz, and rises again

above 23kHz. The part of the spectrum between 23kHz and ~36kHz clearly is an image of the baseband between and 8 and 21kHz. Strictly speaking, this is added distortion, and quite similar to the output of a NOS DAC.

From the Stereophile Mytek measurements it is known that the MQA replay filter is rather lazy and does not cut in below 22kHz, so it is not apodising at all, only passing along a lot of imaging.

Lemonade_192krec_gr_mqa_red.jpg

This result indicates that the input to the MQA encoder was 44.1 kHz. The HF hump is actually shaped dither added by the MQA decoder. DAC and ADC modulator noise should at most reach -120 dB.

Could you send me a capture of 10 seconds or so from that track? I'd like to see exactly what filter configuration they're using here.

43 minutes ago, Fokus said:

1) Of course it is 44.1kHz. That is what Jud asked for, above.

2) Get the PCM1804 datasheet. It really is my ADC's modulator noise.

That ADC does indeed have a lot of noise. None of mine have anything near those levels. If you had a better ADC, you'd notice the MQA decoder adding dither with roughly the same noise profile. A firmware bug in the E2 makes it stay in this mode until power cycled after playing an MQA file.

43 minutes ago, Fokus said:

3) You can have two fragments:

samp1

samp2

Sorry, apparently I wasn't clear. I wanted a digital capture of the undecoded MQA stream.

Sorry, can't do that. These were live recordings from Tidal. I never stored anything in the digital domain.

And I cancelled my Tidal subscription last weekend.

I was already puzzled why you would want the analogue captures, except perhaps for viewing the spectrum in real time.

5 hours ago, mansr said:

above 23kHz.

May be it is border between separatelly restored frequency parts of original signal and the cut is transient band between two filters?

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

The 21kHz cut-off is in the original, standard, recording and has nothing to do with MQA.

The green graph is just the result of upsampling with this filter

Mytek Brooklyn 'MQA' filter for baseband content

There are no mysteries here. The takeaway is that replaying MQA 1x recordings with an MQA DAC generates a lot of imaging, whereas is you replay MQA 2x or 4x or 8x recordings with an MQA DAC at least the 24-48kHz band remains clean (while anything above that so far also seems the result of upsampling, more details later).

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PeterV said:

Every serious audiophile should first listen to MQA and make up their mind based on what they hear, feel and experience instead of judging the technology beforehand, based on speculative publications.

That seems very sensible advice.  For the serious listener: if it sounds better then all other concerns are effectively irrelevant; if it doesn't sound better then it will fail.

This is after all an audiophile site, not a forum for the mass music marketing industry.  By the standards of the latter, much of the body of hardware, software and recordings currently enjoyed by CA members  would most likely also be dismissed as vapourware too (if using the somewhat idiosyncratic definition proposed by MQA critics on this site)

1 hour ago, mansr said:

That statement cost you whatever credibility you might have had.

MQA troll... Thanks for setting it straight.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

8 hours ago, PeterV said:

This is the reason why not everyone is happy with its existence and fear is firing up rumours and aligations. That is a shame, since it will be much wiser to embrace this stunning innovation and make use of it.

Bob, is that you?  You'd do better over at one of the Enthusiast Network sites.  Your sock puppet kind of sticks out like a sore thumb here...

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

MQA troll... Thanks for setting it straight.

I think he's just an MQA fan who's a bit overzealous. He's also on a couple other forums. And apparently English is not his first language. 

But I don't know why anyone would disregard the opinion of Andreas Koch. He's a very brilliant man.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

That statement cost you whatever credibility you might have had.

Normal microphones have practically no response above 50 kHz or so. With a sufficiently high sample rate, you thus don't need much of an analogue filter at all. 192 kHz is plenty, and even 96 kHz is enough in most cases. Of course, modern ADCs are sigma-delta designs operating at several MHz followed by a digital low-pass filter. The problems you allege simply do not exist.

Oh, no. Not this again. CD has a temporal resolution of a few picoseconds. We discussed this at length not long ago. Here's a post from that discussion where I demonstrate timing accuracy of 44.1 kHz audio much better than what you suggest:

My scope doesn't have picosecond resolution, and even if it did, noise in the DAC would make it impossible to measure such small differences.

How much are MQA paying you to post this?

I don't understand the predilection to personally attack someone who read some MQA marketing, heard something he liked, and consequently believed the marketing.  

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

I don't understand the predilection to personally attack someone who read some MQA marketing, heard something he liked, and consequently believed the marketing.  

You're a very trusting, "glass half full" kinda guy.  Perhaps even a de facto "CA Ambassador". Based on the post count of that user, and the utterly over the top MQA sycophancy, there's a significant chance that post was done at the behest of MQA.  I suspect you won't agree with that assessment, but that doesn't mean it isn't a possibility.

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

I see no problem with pointing out the blatantly wrong.

That isn't all you did, as you're quite aware.  Hmm, and you're the one who just told someone *else* his credibility was suffering.

Well.. I am again surprised.., strange question 'Am I being paid by MQA..' would be nice, but no, not at all. I am not a troll either, but just a critical audiophile, who is not easily convinced.

You all notice that I have not posted much and indeed I am Dutch, so English is not my first language, apologies for this.

But with regard to MQA and what it brings in my audio chain at home and how the technology works, I am a bit of a truth digger and want to know and understand why it works so convincingly well in my system with so many sorts of music. I am convinced by what I hear and when listening to MQA compared with normal or HD flac files, MQA is simply better, more natural every time I hear it.

From most of your responses, no one seems to believe that temporal blur in AIR seems to be measurable and audible. All I see are graphs of measurements of DAC with or without MQA decoders. What MQA is doing is related to the impulse response in AIR as shown in Stereophile and AES meetings:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-questions-and-answers-some-real-world-comparisons#JTt3j2x2Xja08jVy.97

And what is also nice: anyone who does not like MP3 or MQA, just do not consume it and be happy with what you have.

26 minutes ago, PeterV said:

And what is also nice: anyone who does not like MP3 or MQA, just do not consume it and be happy with what you have.

Me seems, some people beware, that part of audiophile records will in MQA only.

24 minutes ago, PeterV said:

Well.. I am again surprised.., strange question 'Am I being paid by MQA..' would be nice, but no, not at all. I am not a troll either, but just a critical audiophile, who is not easily convinced.

You all notice that I have not posted much and indeed I am Dutch, so English is not my first language, apologies for this.

But with regard to MQA and what it brings in my audio chain at home and how the technology works, I am a bit of a truth digger and want to know and understand why it works so convincingly well in my system with so many sorts of music. I am convinced by what I hear and when listening to MQA compared with normal or HD flac files, MQA is simply better, more natural every time I hear it.

From most of your responses, no one seems to believe that temporal blur in AIR seems to be measurable and audible. All I see are graphs of measurements of DAC with or without MQA decoders. What MQA is doing is related to the impulse response in AIR as shown in Stereophile and AES meetings:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-questions-and-answers-some-real-world-comparisons#JTt3j2x2Xja08jVy.97

There are many A-D and D-A conversions and multiple converters used in some recordings.. It would seem impossible for deblurring to compensate for all of it. Everything looks good on paper. Especially when it's written by MQA people. The proof is in the listening. 

Stereophile Editor, John Atkinson has said he couldn't reliably tell the difference between MQA and non-MQA versions of his own recordings. Thus it would seem that well done recording and mastering is far more important than MQA. MQA has likely cherry-picked the material for their demos which will favor their process. 

24 minutes ago, PeterV said: