IGNORED

Power Supply (8+) Group Test, LPS and SMPS

10 hours ago, tipunch said:

Hello, thank you very much!

But where it places the AQVOX in the classification? What are the measures?

Best regards

Aqvox USB Low Noise Power Supply is just a very generic old style linear wall wart power supply, both filtering and regulator used are nothing to write home about, but it is better than generic SMPS power supply out there, so a score of 60 ?

1. 95 9V alkaline battery

2. 93 iFi iPower 9V SMPS

3. 90 ZERO-ZONE SUPER-PSU

4. 80 TeraDak TeraLink X2

5. 65 Breeze Audio DC-1 / S.M.S.L Panda dual 9V (both flawed)

6. 60 AQVOX  USB Low Noise Power Supply

6. 55 Apple charger

7. 50 Xiaomi 10040mAh battery bank

Digital Sources: Optimised HP TouchSmart PC/CEC TL-1X CD Player/AMR DP-777 DAC/Theta Digital DS Pro Basic II (old)

Analogue Sources:Koetsu Jade Platinum MC Cartridge/Tri-Planar arm/Kuzma Stabi Reference turntable/AMR PH-77 Phono Stage

Amplifiers:The Gryphon Elektra Preamplifier/Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 Stereo Amplifier

Speakers:Kharma Grand Ceramique Midi[br]Cables:Nordost Valhalla (interconnect and speaker cables)/Shunyata Research power Snakes power cables

Portable: Sony PHA-1/PHA-2; Dragonfly 1.0/1.2; Meridian Explorer, Director; iFi nano iDSD, micro iDAC, micro iDSD; Geek Out; Hdta Serenade DSD

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2018 at 2:08 AM, DM said:

Aqvox USB Low Noise Power Supply is just a very generic old style linear wall wart power supply, both filtering and regulator used are nothing to write home about, but it is better than generic SMPS power supply out there, so a score of 60 ?

1. 95 9V alkaline battery

2. 93 iFi iPower 9V SMPS

3. 90 ZERO-ZONE SUPER-PSU

4. 80 TeraDak TeraLink X2

5. 65 Breeze Audio DC-1 / S.M.S.L Panda dual 9V (both flawed)

6. 60 AQVOX  USB Low Noise Power Supply

6. 55 Apple charger

7. 50 Xiaomi 10040mAh battery bank

Many thanks for this test, most grateful.

I think these must be the quietest LPSU on the planet? Sean Jacobs. They claim figures of just 0.02mV ripple.

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, franz159 said:

It is hard to say how similar the lpsu linked to above is to the Zero Zone used in the review. Most likely they both use Sigma 11 based regulator boards in the design, but there are many variations with different transformer types (rcore and toroid) caps (Nover and Nichicon and mosfets types (Infineon and Toshiba).

I have a zero zone dual lpsu in a silver aluminum box as shown in the link.  It has two Nichicon caps per regulator board and two Infineon mosfets.  It sounds great and measures well.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 hour ago, franz159 said:

Here is the one purchased here with Nichicon caps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEROZONE-HIFI-130W-Ultra-Low-Noise-DC-Linear-Power-Supply-2-Way-LPS-65W-65W-/263031412557?hash=item3d3de4d74d

If you buy one be sure to message the seller with your voltage requiements for both lpsus.

10 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I have never understood how the Chinese get away with rating the wattage the way they do on their supplies.  Correct ratings would be based on max current at a given output voltage.  Multiply current times voltage. But do so for example with the supply you linked to, and you’ll come up with wattage in the 36-42W range.

Just sayin’...

Yes, you are right! There is no clear output current rating specified with these LPSes. Strangely they are rated by the wattage of their AC transformers 2 x 65 watts in this case.

35 minutes ago, Superdad said:
4 hours ago, lmitche said:

I have never understood how the Chinese get away with rating the wattage the way they do on their supplies.

If old eyes still work Ok, in eBay inside product picture, printing on label of R-core say "18V/50W"!

Blatant lying now prevailing fashion, endorsed by big governments all over world :S

Also note very fine wire dressing in unit- well, except input AC wires wrapped around regulator caps (all Hi-V AC wire routing suspect IMO) :o

Still, very nice LPSU for price. I would buy if needed that configuration & use specs conservativly (would also clean up a few things inside post purchase). 

4 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Yes, you are right! There is no clear output current rating specified with these LPSes. Strangely they are rated by the wattage of their AC transformers 2 x 65 watts in this case.

The AC wattage ratings of Chinese R-core transformers are all over the map and not very useful.  And even there, if you look closely at the label of the one you linked to, it says 50W. :S

27 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Nah, what bothers me more is the really crappy bridge rectifiers that most all the Chinese units use.  I mean, would it kill them to spend a few Yuan more on some decent Schottky diodes?

I not see (always crappy) bridge rectifier in this advertised unit pictures. See big pass MosFet & 2 To-220 devices suspect are probably Fast Recovery diodes. Maybe 2 more hiding under PCB, since looks like S-11 variant board?

Also wonder about lack of higher current Schottky diodes in such products. Maybe non-linear pricing above 3 amps capacity?

27 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Worse is the fact that every Chinese LPS I have had hooked up to my electronic load box failed to reach its current ratings. (Somewhere here on CA I posted photo proof of one such test with a smaller ZeroZone unit.)

Maybe I should buy this one and put it on the work bench to test and report.

Thx for good data. 

Upvote for testing! If not destroyed, sure some audiophile happy to buy used :)

Just noticed V/A ratings way down in product text, seem more realistic then watt ratings in headline-

you can choose following any two kinds voltage as the two output:
(1: 5V 4.3A    2: 9V 4A    3: 12V 3.5A    4: 15V 2.6A    5: 18V 2.1A     7:19V  2A    8:24V 1.6A)

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

I have never understood how the Chinese get away with rating the wattage the way they do on their supplies.  Correct ratings would be based on max current at a given output voltage.  Multiply current times voltage. But do so for example with the supply you linked to, and you’ll come up with wattage in the 36-42W range.

Just sayin’...

Alex C

That annoys me too.

In fact, MANY of their PSUs don't have anywhere near adequate heatsinking for any more than VERY short term loads at their rated currents.

Where they use the VA ratings iof the transformer it's even more misleading, as when using a Bridge Rectifier with a capacitor input.   
IDC = 0.62 X Sec I AC

Regards

Alex K.

Design Guide  for Rectifier Use .jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

14 hours ago, Superdad said:

Just sayin’...

it is marketing

Dual LT3045 PSU rated for 1A (not 1.1A)

6x10F capacitors in series = 1.7F (not 60F)

i am right???? ?

• 3 weeks later...

Some very established but forward looking companies are using SMPS in their units. All the latest NAD master series is SMPS and I believe Linn also uses SMPS in all of their products. I know my Kii Theee speakers use SMPS power supplies. I believe the main problems with SMPS implementations is  that they emit a lot of noise back into the power mains if care is not exercised to prevent it. So that is why an accessory linear supply may sound better than an SMPS even if it does not provide cleaner output in a lot of subjective tests: the linear supply does not crud up the mains for the rest of the system.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

1 hour ago, Kelly said:

Some very established but forward looking companies are using SMPS in their units. All the latest NAD master series is SMPS and I believe Linn also uses SMPS in all of their products. I know my Kii Theee speakers use SMPS power supplies. I believe the main problems with SMPS implementations is  that they emit a lot of noise back into the power mains if care is not exercised to prevent it. So that is why an accessory linear supply may sound better than an SMPS even if it does not provide cleaner output in a lot of subjective tests: the linear supply does not crud up the mains for the rest of the system.

So where does that leave this?

How about this?

"Up to ten times quieter than than iFi's already excellent ultra-low-noise stock AC/DC adapter, and 20 times quieter than conventional audiophile linear power supplies, iPower has a virtually nonexistent noise floor of 0.000001 Volts (1μV). 

Still back polluting the mains? (to rest of gear)...

Just to be clear, I don't personally claim that an LPS sounds better than an SMPS. I don't subscribe to any particular dogma other than if you design it well then it will sound good. But that is indeed one reason I have heard to keep cheap SMPS away from your audio system. My understanding is that extra care can be taken to minimize the high frequency noise the SMPS emits back into the mains, but that is expensive and larger. I would bet that something like the Mola Mola Kaluga (one of the absolute finest amplifiers at any price) does not pollute back into the mains, but a small wall-wart is more likely to.

To address the iFi, if someone were to compare it to an inferior measuring LPS and still feel the LPS sounded better. Then the iFi maybe generating more noise back in the mains would be a possible rationale, and perhaps the next thing to measure, if you could figure out how to measure such a thing accurately.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

50 minutes ago, Kelly said:

My understanding is that extra care can be taken to minimize the high frequency noise the SMPS emits back into the mains, but that is expensive and larger.

Yes, it is expensive!

So, instead of spending all that money on preventing back pollution (from SMPS) electronics, why not just spend the money on a supremo LPSU in the first place, that does not suffer from those problems in the first place? Cheers!

17 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

Yes, it is expensive!

So, instead of spending all that money on preventing back pollution (from SMPS) electronics, why not just spend the money on a supremo LPSU in the first place, that does not suffer from those problems in the first place? Cheers!

Or you could buy yourself a cheap floating SMPS (like Gophert csp-3205II) followed by LT3045 in series (making it a LPS with a SMPS feeder supply). That would give you some extra cash to improve other things like isolation transformer, DC blocker and better ICs. ?

🎛️  Audio System