IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

Want to ask a question to the experts on this forum. I have been a user of Audirvana for years, now v2.6.8 on Macbook Air, OS Sierra. I have used USB connection to Devialet 220, and have been satisfied with the sound quality. My computer knowledge (especially Mac) is limited to say the least.

After Devialet Air 3 was released I have got it to work, and my music is now playing via Devialet Air WiFi to Devialet 220 Pro. I have experienced an increase in sound quality using Devialet Air compared to USB. I am still using Audirvana 2.6.8 as player/library. I have my music (AIFF) ripped to a local USB disc.

Question: Could I expect improvement in sound quality upgrading to Audirvana 3.0 when using Devialet Air? I could off course buy the upgrade and try it as the asking price is ridiculously low, or use the trial period, but I hesitate a little as some of the forum members have reported problems when trying to go back from A3 to earlier versions. Apologize if this should have been posted in another tread.

On 6/4/2017 at 5:47 PM, matthias said:

Damien,

will a set-up with Audirvana 3.1 via UPnP and microRendu sound better than a direct USB connection of the same DAC to a Mac?

Thanks

Matt

If Damien gets it at least as good as Roon > mRendu set as Roon endpoint : yes and not by a small margin. And my Mac was fully dedicated, headless and upgraded with Uptone DC-kit and Uptone LPS-2.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

5 hours ago, skatbelt said:

If Damien gets it at least as good as Roon > mRendu set as Roon endpoint : yes and not by a small margin. And my Mac was fully dedicated, headless and upgraded with Uptone DC-kit and Uptone LPS-2.

That would be great! Unfortunately, Audirvana doesn't support convolution, which for me is the biggest holdback to replacing Roon->renderer or Roon+HQP->renderer.

21 minutes ago, camott said:

That would be great! Unfortunately, Audirvana doesn't support convolution, which for me is the biggest holdback to replacing Roon->renderer or Roon+HQP->renderer.

Convolution/RoomEQ is possible via an AU plugin.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

2 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Convolution/RoomEQ is possible via an AU plugin.

Aside from some limited built-in Parametric EQ, the only one I am aware of is Dirac and that is a beta/non-supported plugin. Audirvana does not support importing standard convolution files from REW, Acourate, etc.

1 hour ago, camott said:

Aside from some limited built-in Parametric EQ, the only one I am aware of is Dirac and that is a beta/non-supported plugin. Audirvana does not support importing standard convolution files from REW, Acourate, etc.

I did use FabFilter Pro-Q 2 with A+. Not cheap but very transparent. You need to set all measurement from (for example) REW manual though.

On 6/5/2017 at 9:25 AM, kinver said:

Want to ask a question to the experts on this forum. I have been a user of Audirvana for years, now v2.6.8 on Macbook Air, OS Sierra. I have used USB connection to Devialet 220, and have been satisfied with the sound quality. My computer knowledge (especially Mac) is limited to say the least.

After Devialet Air 3 was released I have got it to work, and my music is now playing via Devialet Air WiFi to Devialet 220 Pro. I have experienced an increase in sound quality using Devialet Air compared to USB. I am still using Audirvana 2.6.8 as player/library. I have my music (AIFF) ripped to a local USB disc.

Question: Could I expect improvement in sound quality upgrading to Audirvana 3.0 when using Devialet Air? I could off course buy the upgrade and try it as the asking price is ridiculously low, or use the trial period, but I hesitate a little as some of the forum members have reported problems when trying to go back from A3 to earlier versions. Apologize if this should have been posted in another tread.

Not an answer to your question as I have not been moved to upgrade to A3 yet, but regarding the improvement to sound quality moving ti Deavialet Air, it is probably due to isolation of RF from the DAC - unless they have exemplary built-in isolation DACs can be very sensitive to RF contamination, and the USB output of a computer will have RF superimposed even with a linear PS, so in many cases for best sound quality an isolator is needed between the computer's electrical output and DAC.

Mac Mini - late 2012: core i5/2.5GHz/16GB/2x1TB SSDs/El Capitan, headless - Audirvana optimised, dedicated USB bus - USB Regen - Chord Dave DAC - tri-amped with Bryston amps - PMC/ATC speaker combo. (Detail in my profile.)

On 6/4/2017 at 4:47 PM, matthias said:

Damien,

will a set-up with Audirvana 3.1 via UPnP and microRendu sound better than a direct USB connection of the same DAC to a Mac?

Thanks

Matt

I'm confused because that would relegate Audirvana to a library and serving function, the library being its weakest area, and bypassing its rendering, which is its real strength in terms of sound quality. I see UPnP serving as an additional function purely as a means of allowing multi-room playing via other devices (when indeed uRendu might be one).

Mac Mini - late 2012: core i5/2.5GHz/16GB/2x1TB SSDs/El Capitan, headless - Audirvana optimised, dedicated USB bus - USB Regen - Chord Dave DAC - tri-amped with Bryston amps - PMC/ATC speaker combo. (Detail in my profile.)

15 hours ago, camott said:

I did a trial with Dirac when I first used A2 (Damien provided the necessary modification): I was trying to resolve bad room problems, and instead it just killed the music while not fully resolving the issue. The solution was a complete reapparaisal of the room layout, which I did using REW software to measure and analyse what was happening in the room. After that, with completely new speaker and listenibg positions, the sound is far better, though some time in tge future O will add a bit of room treatment as well.  Digital room correction really is only good for relatively minor room problems, and care must be taken not to over-smooth. Also, it can do nothing about early reflections, which are a common cause of muddying of the sound in many a system - the rule is sort the listening position first, then apply room trayment if possible, and DRC only as the last step.

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I'm confused because that would relegate Audirvana to a library and serving function, the library being its weakest area, and bypassing its rendering, which is its real strength in terms of sound quality. I see UPnP serving as an additional function purely as a means of allowing multi-room playing via other devices (when indeed uRendu might be one).

If 3.1 works like HQPlayer it doesn't bypass rendering. What would be the point if it did? The idea is to bypass the noisey USB port on the computer, and give you isolation from noise. Try it you will love it!

Music Server(s):Mac Mini w/UpTone linear power supply JS-2, SoTM 200 w/LPS-1, AQ Diamond USB cable,

Music Server Operating System:Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan, Roon, HQP, A+

USB Digital to Analog Converter(s):PS Audio DS Jr. w/UpTone Audio ReGen  w/ LPS-1 Power Supply

Preamplifier:PS Audio BHK preamp; Amplifier(s):Parasound Amplifier A21; Loudspeakers:Magnapan 3.7

Loudspeaker Cables:AudioQuest CV8

5 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Not an answer to your question as I have not been moved to upgrade to A3 yet, but regarding the improvement to sound quality moving ti Deavialet Air, it is probably due to isolation of RF from the DAC - unless they have exemplary built-in isolation DACs can be very sensitive to RF contamination, and the USB output of a computer will have RF superimposed even with a linear PS, so in many cases for best sound quality an isolator is needed between the computer's electrical output and DAC.

Yes that is right. Also you have the quality of the USB cable.

I use Vertere D-Fi. Its good, but not top of the line.

Can't use Search to delete files: must scroll through entire Library and do it from there 9_9

@damien78 can you, please, fix/change this?

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

15 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

Can't use Search to delete files: must scroll through entire Library and do it from there 9_9

@damien78 can you, please, fix/change this?

I wonder if this is intentional, to make it a little harder for a user to take the step of deleting a file.  Most often people search for files in order to play them, and if they deleted by accident....  I suppose a dialog box popping up might take care of this, though I have clicked OK by reflex on those. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

35 minutes ago, Jud said:

I suppose a dialog box popping up might take care of this, though I have clicked OK by reflex on those. :)

files are moved, first, to Recycle Bin. You must open it, select them all and... either click "Restore" or "Delete"

you must then confirm deleting files is what you actually want to do

if files are on a NAS there's a further confirmation step to take

looks there's plenty of protection against unwanted actions ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

@damien78 Running A+ 3.0.6 on latest OSX on a mini 2012. When I try to connect to A+ from a remote (latest A+ remote app), the mac app crashes. I've removed all linked remotes, still crashes. This happens from both my iPhone and iPad. Thx.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

@damien78 Running A+ 3.0.6 on latest OSX on a mini 2012. When I try to connect to A+ from a remote (latest A+ remote app), the mac app crashes. I've removed all linked remotes, still crashes. This happens from both my iPhone and iPad. Thx.

My wild guess is that something may have got crossed up between the files the remote app expects and those in the Mac app's database.  You might try first deleting and reinstalling the remote app, and if that doesn't work, deleting the Mac app's database.  But that's a guess, so if you don't feel like trying it, don't. :)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, pl_svn said:

files are moved, first, to Recycle Bin. You must open it, select them all and... either click "Restore" or "Delete"

you must then confirm deleting files is what you actually want to do

if files are on a NAS there's a further confirmation step to take

looks there's plenty of protection against unwanted actions ;)

OK. :)

1 hour ago, Jud said:

My wild guess is that something may have got crossed up between the files the remote app expects and those in the Mac app's database.  You might try first deleting and reinstalling the remote app, and if that doesn't work, deleting the Mac app's database.  But that's a guess, so if you don't feel like trying it, don't. :)

Deleting the database was enough to make it work. Thx!

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

On 6/7/2017 at 0:11 PM, camott said:

Audirvana does not support importing standard convolution files from REW, Acourate, etc.

REW actually calculates a frequency response correction as multiple parametric EQ filters.  It then derives an impulse response (convolution file) from that.  So there is no benefit to using convolution to implement a response curve calculated by REW.

Acourate is the opposite.  Its native output is an impulse response (convolution file).  Therefore, you'd need a convolution plugin to use Acourate filters with Audirvana.  Convolution plugins include:

Liquid Sonic Reverberate $40

MellowMuse $50

SIR $143 (with the perpetually offered 25% discount)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

On 6/7/2017 at 1:39 PM, skatbelt said:

I did use FabFilter Pro-Q 2 with A+. Not cheap but very transparent.

MetricHalo's ChannelStrip 3 also is completely transparent and often is on sale for $75.  (FabFilter is $200.)  Although its interface is not a pretty as FabFilter's, I like its option to enter EQ values as numerical parameters instead of relying entirely on graphs or simulated knobs: 

http://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/products/software/channelstrip-3.html

Apple's built-in (free) plugins may be just as good.  Although entering the EQ values is a bit more tedious, you can save them as presets.

Alternatively, Amarra's sQ+, $50, is a system-wide driver, not a plugin, so it applies the EQ to all audio outputted by the Mac, not just audio from a plugin host such as Audirvana.  I've never tried it, so I don’t know whether it's compatible with Audirvana's Direct Mode.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

1 hour ago, Bob Stern said:

MetricHalo's ChannelStrip 3 also is completely transparent and often is on sale for $75.  (FabFilter is $200.)  Although its interface is not a pretty as FabFilter's, I like its option to enter EQ values as numerical parameters instead of relying entirely on graphs or simulated knobs: 

http://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/products/software/channelstrip-3.html

Apple's built-in (free) plugins may be just as good.  Although entering the EQ values is a bit more tedious, you can save them as presets.

Alternatively, Amarra's sQ+, $50, is a system-wide driver, not a plugin, so it applies the EQ to all audio outputted by the Mac, not just audio from a plugin host such as Audirvana.  I've never tried it, so I don’t know whether it's compatible with Audirvana's Direct Mode.

In FabFilter it is also possible to enter the parameters numerical. I trialed a few plugins at the time and FabFilter was the best to my ears. I really like their Natural Phase mode. And I used the A/B function a lot but I guess this is also possible in many of the other solutions.

A+ 3.06 has become quite unstable for me. It started with DSD no longer working and now the app has become quite slow with frequent beach balls and apparent hangs. I think my set up may have gotten corrupted. HQPlayer can play DSD on the same system so I don't think it's macOS or my LH Geek Out 1000.

Can someone please link me the steps to clean out A+ and reinstall?

27 minutes ago, Supperconductor said:

A+ 3.06 has become quite unstable for me. It started with DSD no longer working and now the app has become quite slow with frequent beach balls and apparent hangs. I think my set up may have gotten corrupted. HQPlayer can play DSD on the same system so I don't think it's macOS or my LH Geek Out 1000.

Can someone please link me the steps to clean out A+ and reinstall?

Try that:

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop and
save them in a folder... when A+ is reset, you can re-import them back.
sadly to this day, the folders they were in is not back, you have to do it again...

Before doing this, maybe you should not connect after deleting those files to Roon or others...
install A+ alone with your database... if working, log to Roon or else after :)

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System...
When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there,
just do a ''cmd J'' to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom...
click Show Library Folder and then you'll have access to the rest forever :)

Starting for new A+:
Go to the main Library Folder... PrivilegedHelperTools folder...
Trash All the files in that folder (that folder install SysOptimizer)

Go to the main Library Folder...LaunchDaemons folder...
Trash All the files in that folder for Audirvana (SystemOptimizer and prefs files)

Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Applications Support... Audirvana Folder...
Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up!)

Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Preferences...
trash com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.plist in that folder (those are A+ software preferences)

Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Caches… com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus
trash the files in that folder

Restart MAC just to be sure... This will reset pretty much Audirvana like new.

When choosing library at first it will sync in top right main window under the logo...
LET IT GO, even better don't try to adjust windows or edit files, even playing music while
it is not finished... you'll see the progress bar going... Could be long the first time
depending on how large your library is, and MAC is fast or not... go to sleep... then see :)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

DIRECT MODE

Has anyone tried this to implement Direct Mode in Sierrra? Or does anyone have a grip, a deeper understanding of this? I found the procedure on Audirvana's Facebook page, a recent post.

"Updated instruction set for making A+ 3.0 fully functional in OS Sierra for anyone who wants to be able to use "direct mode".

Making Audirvana + 3.0 work in OS Sierra.
Apple broke the OS Sierra Audio Kext so one has to replace the OS Sierra IOAudioFamily.kext with the El Capitan Version in order to gain full A+ 3.0 functionality (namely “Direct Mode”).

First put a copy of the El Capitan IOAudioFamily.kext on your OS Sierra Desktop 

Second reboot your OS Sierra Mac continuously holding down the command and “r” keys until the full recovery menu and top status bar appear (can take a while). Once you’re in the recovery menu select “Terminal” from the “utilities” menu
Once the terminal is launched enter (or cut and paste) this command:
“csrutil disable; reboot” (no quotes) and hit the return key.

When the terminal command above finishes execution,  your computer automatically reboots. Once rebooted you have disabled System Integrity Protection (SIP). Once disabled you can transplant kext files.

The easiest way to change the OS Sierra IOAudio Kext File back to El Capitan is to use this tool: Kext Utility 2.6.6

Download to your desktop. Launch the application. It takes a few minutes to set permissions but once completed you can drag and drop the IOAudioFamily.kext file from your desktop(downloaded from the link above) into the utility box and voila the utility automatically appends the Sierra Audio.kext files with “.old” and moves the El Cap Audio kext file into the appropriate library folder.

Reboot and you have full Audirvana + 3.0 functionality in OS Sierra.

You can turn system integrity protection (SIP) back on by rebooting into the recovery console again (see above) open a terminal window and enter this command:
"csrutil enable; reboot" (no quotes) and hit the return key."
1 hour ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Try that:

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop and
save them in a folder... when A+ is reset, you can re-import them back.
sadly to this day, the folders they were in is not back, you have to do it again...

Before doing this, maybe you should not connect after deleting those files to Roon or others...
install A+ alone with your database... if working, log to Roon or else after :)

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System...
When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there,
just do a ''cmd J'' to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom...
click Show Library Folder and then you'll have access to the rest forever :)

Starting for new A+:
Go to the main Library Folder... PrivilegedHelperTools folder...
Trash All the files in that folder (that folder install SysOptimizer)

Go to the main Library Folder...LaunchDaemons folder...
Trash All the files in that folder for Audirvana (SystemOptimizer and prefs files)

Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Applications Support... Audirvana Folder...
Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up!)

Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Preferences...
trash com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.plist in that folder (those are A+ software preferences)

Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Caches… com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus
trash the files in that folder

Restart MAC just to be sure... This will reset pretty much Audirvana like new.

When choosing library at first it will sync in top right main window under the logo...
LET IT GO, even better don't try to adjust windows or edit files, even playing music while
it is not finished... you'll see the progress bar going... Could be long the first time
depending on how large your library is, and MAC is fast or not... go to sleep... then see :)

Well it helped make A+ far more stable and responsive (especially Tidal streaming), but alas no DSD playback still. Thanks for the detailed info!