IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

26 minutes ago, Supperconductor said:

Well it helped make A+ far more stable and responsive (especially Tidal streaming), but alas no DSD playback still. Thanks for the detailed info!

Did you selected DSD over PCM in A+ options...

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 6.56.53 PM.png

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

34 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Did you selected DSD over PCM in A+ options...

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 6.56.53 PM.png

Yup. It ***used*** to work with local/NAS DSD files with A+ 2.X - I can't figure out quite what's changed. I'm starting to think it was some macOS Sierra related patch. I'm moving towards an NAA type of set up anyway, as is A+ so I will revisit some time later. In the meantime I'm using Raspberry PI 3B running Moode Audio with good results.

16 minutes ago, Supperconductor said:

Yup. It ***used*** to work with local/NAS DSD files with A+ 2.X - I can't figure out quite what's changed. I'm starting to think it was some macOS Sierra related patch. I'm moving towards an NAA type of set up anyway, as is A+ so I will revisit some time later. In the meantime I'm using Raspberry PI 3B running Moode Audio with good results.

As you can see in my signature and the picture i sent, i have dsd dac and running sierra with direct mode, without bugs :) Good luck with your next setup.

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

3 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

As you can see in my signature and the picture i sent, i have dsd dac and running sierra with direct mode, without bugs :) Good luck with your next setup.

LOL, I know it's something very specific to my set up. My music rig is also my software development workstation, I wish I could dedicate something just for playback, hence the Moode Audio "experiment". A+ is still my fave, will wait for updates and see what develops. Thanks again for your help!

EDIT: There's possibly and iFi micro iDSD BL in my future. That may wind up solving this problem.

Softwares... can be so frustrating sometimes... all working perfectly then for no apparent reason, bugs appears. Coding must be difficult when having many options to watch. A+ have been very expanding is horizons from short time period these days... DSD oversampling, new library settings, MQA, NAS coming, Remote updating?? maybe to many things at the same time.... Damien, have you had grey hairs lately ;)

For now, for me, all is still perfectly working even with Sierra and Direct Mode enabled, and my library is well done now... the only bugs i have not often is the for no reason while Upsampling all to DSD128, A+ stop playing the music... not stop working, just sound stopped for 1.5 to 2 secs once a week for a CD for no known reason by me... :)  So, i'm pretty happy since i trashed my CD player long ago...

"For now, for me, all is still perfectly working even with Sierra and Direct Mode enabled."

Did you replace the kext File, or has Direct Mode not given you 

the Error Message?

Direct Mode for me in Sierra is disabled, and I haven't yet tried to replace the kext File from El Capitan.

18 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

"For now, for me, all is still perfectly working even with Sierra and Direct Mode enabled."

Did you replace the kext File, or has Direct Mode not given you 

the Error Message?

Direct Mode for me in Sierra is disabled, and I haven't yet tried to replace the kext File from El Capitan.

Direct Mode is Dead for all people since Sierra, but could be Reenable like it was before by replacing the ktext file.

I have done it long time ago following a people method on A+ own forum... i just did a new text for easy following for 'newbies'. All have succeed i think reading carefully... Many don't want to try (that i respect also), and some have failed and f**ked their system while not doing it all. You can read my recipy here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex3ksuj1calu7p6/AudirvanaSierraDirectMode.zip?dl=0

It is just a text file... with the old ktext of El Capitan but if you don't trust, you can just use yours before upgrading to Sierra... Again, this have been posted like more then 20 times here now, and on A+ own forum, even tonight by someone else, but i don't know that procedure,.. Read my text file and decide if it is good for you (takes around 15 mins to do it, without the backing up of system to be sure)...

18 hours ago, svart-hvitt said:

DIRECT MODE

Has anyone tried this to implement Direct Mode in Sierrra? Or does anyone have a grip, a deeper understanding of this? I found the procedure on Audirvana's Facebook page, a recent post.

"Updated instruction set for making A+ 3.0 fully functional in OS Sierra for anyone who wants to be able to use "direct mode".

Making Audirvana + 3.0 work in OS Sierra.
Apple broke the OS Sierra Audio Kext so one has to replace the OS Sierra IOAudioFamily.kext with the El Capitan Version in order to gain full A+ 3.0 functionality (namely “Direct Mode”).

First put a copy of the El Capitan IOAudioFamily.kext on your OS Sierra Desktop 

Second reboot your OS Sierra Mac continuously holding down the command and “r” keys until the full recovery menu and top status bar appear (can take a while). Once you’re in the recovery menu select “Terminal” from the “utilities” menu
Once the terminal is launched enter (or cut and paste) this command:
“csrutil disable; reboot” (no quotes) and hit the return key.

When the terminal command above finishes execution,  your computer automatically reboots. Once rebooted you have disabled System Integrity Protection (SIP). Once disabled you can transplant kext files.

The easiest way to change the OS Sierra IOAudio Kext File back to El Capitan is to use this tool: Kext Utility 2.6.6

Download to your desktop. Launch the application. It takes a few minutes to set permissions but once completed you can drag and drop the IOAudioFamily.kext file from your desktop(downloaded from the link above) into the utility box and voila the utility automatically appends the Sierra Audio.kext files with “.old” and moves the El Cap Audio kext file into the appropriate library folder.

Reboot and you have full Audirvana + 3.0 functionality in OS Sierra.

You can turn system integrity protection (SIP) back on by rebooting into the recovery console again (see above) open a terminal window and enter this command:
"csrutil enable; reboot" (no quotes) and hit the return key."

Thank you for your help, and also Thank you to RunHomeSlow for your advice in changing the IOAudioFamily.kext to El Capitan version in Sierra.

All seems quite clear and easily doable, but I stumble on a major hurdle:

when I reboot my macs in Recovery Mode (1 MacBook Pro, 1 Mac Mini) I am unable to access the Terminal as it does not appear in the menu as described in your explanations. I cannot therefore disable the System Integrity Protection.

Any suggestion?

18 minutes ago, Waldburg said:

Thank you for your help, and also Thank you to RunHomeSlow for your advice in changing the IOAudioFamily.kext to El Capitan version in Sierra.

when I reboot my macs in Recovery Mode (1 MacBook Pro, 1 Mac Mini) I am unable to access the Terminal as it does not appear in the menu as described in your explanations. I cannot therefore disable the System Integrity Protection.

Any suggestion?

At work now, no mac ?

In recovery mode it open a window by default with choices, you have to go in the mac menu bar on top of that to see other choices if i remember...

I cleared up all the problems I was having with Audirvana, or at least have managed to satisfactorily work around them. I had posted that I lost control of being able to change the volume on both software and hardware when A+ was playing. I worked around this by going into Preferences Audio Volume and switching from Software only to DAC only. When I choose Software only I completely lose control of volume when volume level is set between about 90% to 100%. When it's below around 90% I regain control but sometimes it maxes out and I want it higher.

Audirvana.thumb.png.8e002fb8bd2275f502ef798f276f1711.png

The problem I was having with format/sample rate streaming Tidal disappeared when I added a Dragonfly Red amp/DAC/MQA player. Everything working fine now and sonics are excellent.

19 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

At work now, no mac ?

In recovery mode it open a window by default with choices, you have to go in the mac menu bar on top of that to see other choices if i remember...

20 hours ago, Waldburg said:

Any suggestion?

I had a similar problem initially and it was my monitor - it wasn't displaying the full mac screen and the menu bar at the top was not visible.  I changed monitors and could see the Terminal menu item.  Try moving your mouse to the left top of the screen and you might be able to get the sub-menus to drop down and select what you need.  That's what I do now so I don't have to change monitors when I update the ktext file after an OS update.

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

1 hour ago, audiocanyon said:

I had a similar problem initially and it was my monitor - it wasn't displaying the full mac screen and the menu bar at the top was not visible.  I changed monitors and could see the Terminal menu item.  Try moving your mouse to the left top of the screen and you might be able to get the sub-menus to drop down and select what you need.  That's what I do now so I don't have to change monitors when I update the ktext file after an OS update.

Good point :)

On 14/06/2017 at 1:43 PM, audiocanyon said:

Dear AudioCanyon and RunHomeSlow,

Thank you again for your advice.

Sadly my problem goes on: despite full access to the menus at the top of the screen, the menu with Terminal does not appear at all on both my MacBook Pro and Mac Mini.

Having browsed further, it seems to be an identified problem affecting some computers and not others. No solution was forthcoming though.

If anyone else has experienced such a thing and found a solution, I am eager to read you...

On 5/23/2017 at 3:37 PM, damien78 said:

weeks to the public beta

Now would be a perfect time.  Sonore has announced the ultraRendu and a clock upgrade for the microRendu.  How well A+ works with these products will help me decide whether I want to further invest in this product line.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

How well A+ works with these products will help me decide whether I want to further invest in this product line.

if it does!

been asking about supported devices for months, now, and still waiting an answer 9_9

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

22 hours ago, Waldburg said:

Sadly my problem goes on: despite full access to the menus at the top of the screen, the menu with Terminal does not appear at all on both my MacBook Pro and Mac Mini.

Having browsed further, it seems to be an identified problem affecting some computers and not others. No solution was forthcoming though.

If anyone else has experienced such a thing and found a solution, I am eager to read you...

Well, that is odd.  I'm not a mac expert by any means, but i think I'd check two things.  Is your Sierra OS up to date with the latest version and are you logging in recovery mode as an administrator?

Good luck, I hope you solve it.

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

On 5/23/2017 at 9:37 PM, damien78 said:

weeks to the public beta

@damien78 Almost one month has passed. Any news on the public beta?

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

7 minutes ago, Giacomino said:

Hi, how can I fix it? thank you! A + 3.0.7 installed

Senza titolo.jpeg

Can you reboot and try again?

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

On 20/06/2017 at 0:57 PM, skatbelt said:

@damien78 Almost one month has passed. Any news on the public beta?

I'm not giving any promise on the date itself. Only that I'm making good progress.

Though the number of different implementations on the network players side makes it not a very small task...

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

3 minutes ago, damien78 said:

I'm not giving any promise on the date itself. Only that I'm making good progress.

Though the number of different implementations on the network players side makes it not a very small task...

@damien78, while we have you here, do you have any plans for an update of the remote app?